Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Drives: Summiit White 2SS/RS/M6
Anybody running the DT shorties and...

catback on a 2SS? I'm thinking for the price, you can't go wrong...BUT, I haven't heard that setup in person. For warranty reasons, I don't want to get a tune, so I figured I'd go with shorties and catback. DT seems to have a decent price and I haven't read anything negative regarding quality. Whaddya you all think?
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Where is Palmetto, FL? I'm in Ft.Lauderdale and have the DT Shorties and a muffler delete (might be getting a custom header-back setup w/ high-flow cats soon though).

*Edit* N/M, I just googled it (near Bradenton, right?).... NEway, I've had mine on since June and they still look great (had some fitment issues on the driver-side though--bottom flange was off by about 2 degrees).
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublefatty View Post
catback on a 2SS? I'm thinking for the price, you can't go wrong...BUT, I haven't heard that setup in person. For warranty reasons, I don't want to get a tune, so I figured I'd go with shorties and catback. DT seems to have a decent price and I haven't read anything negative regarding quality. Whaddya you all think?

Found a couple YouTube vids up your alley...

I should have a video of the DT LT's and DT Catback by Saturday night...I have to work so I won't be able to get a good video till then.

The quality, worksmanship, and value is unbeatable....

Lemme know if you are seriously looking at either of the Short Tubes, Long Tubes, or Catback from Doug Thorley when the time is right.

I liked Doug Thorley's Camaro lineup so much that I started carrying them pretty much exclusively.

Great luck!,
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #4
FUN4JT

Drives: 2010 SSRS, Victory Red, 6 speed
I just installed the DT shorty's, Magnaflow X pipe along with a Halltech Yellowjacket and I'm pleased with the results. Don't have a catback as yet so I can't comment on them. While the CAI made a difference adding the shorty's seemed to complement the intake and the difference is definitely noticeable. Worth the investment from my perspective.
FUN4JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Bad Karma has the line of thought you are looking for.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM   #6
jeffhatton

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I am running a cold air inductions intake and a corsa cat back exhaust. I installed the DT Shorty headers today. I was happy before with the with the intake and exhaust ... but the DT headers really made the difference. It changed the tone of the car and really added noticeable power. I couldn't believe the difference. It sounds mean. I am impressed.
jeffhatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Bad Karma has the line of thought you are looking for.
Thank you sir!!!

-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
Found a couple YouTube vids up your alley...

I should have a video of the DT LT's and DT Catback by Saturday night...I have to work so I won't be able to get a good video till then.

The quality, worksmanship, and value is unbeatable....

Lemme know if you are seriously looking at either of the Short Tubes, Long Tubes, or Catback from Doug Thorley when the time is right.

I liked Doug Thorley's Camaro lineup so much that I started carrying them pretty much exclusively.

Great luck!,
Ivan
PM Sent.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

I appreciate the feedback. Don't get me wrong... I have no reservations buying the DT shorties, but I'm a bit hesitant going with the DT cat back for a couple of reasons: I don't want the note/sound to be non-agressive and I can' find any specs on the catback... what type of steel, size of the tips, etc... I have a "shopping cart" loaded up on marylandspeed.com with the shorites,catback, and a CAI, but don't want to checkout until I'm sure.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Not trying to be a downer here, but i thought someone dynoed the shorties and they lost power after install. Anybody remember that thread?
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #11
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublefatty View Post
I appreciate the feedback. Don't get me wrong... I have no reservations buying the DT shorties, but I'm a bit hesitant going with the DT cat back for a couple of reasons: I don't want the note/sound to be non-agressive and I can' find any specs on the catback... what type of steel, size of the tips, etc... I have a "shopping cart" loaded up on marylandspeed.com with the shorites,catback, and a CAI, but don't want to checkout until I'm sure.
On the cat-back, give DT a call. They would be more than happy to answer.

I may be mistaken but I believe it is:

309 SS
4.5" tips
mandrel bent
2.5" tubing

Don't quote me. Double check.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
wbt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
Not trying to be a downer here, but i thought someone dynoed the shorties and they lost power after install. Anybody remember that thread?
That was with the BBK's.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #13
allmotor
movin' down the motorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
I saw that thread as well, but haven't investigated it yet. Just doesn't make sense to me... kinda like adding salt to a big fat steak, just for sh!ts and giggles, lets say a 2lb Porterhouse.. and afterwards it tastes like a crappy london broil..... somethings amiss....
Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
jeffhatton

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I can guarantee you my car didn't lose power after installing the shorties ... there is no way. The feel alone negates that.
jeffhatton is offline   Reply With Quote