Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > International Regions > Asia

Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Drives: White 2010 Camaro SS
Anyone ship a US Spec Camaro SS to Japan?

I am looking for information regarding shipping a US Spec Camaro SS to Japan. Actually, it could be considered a heavily modified Camaro SS. I'm worried about emissions.
If anyone is educated on the subject pls PM me. Thanks
White 2010 Camaro SS/RS - HPS Front Mount Turbo System, Custom Turbo Cam, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 80lb injectors, Eibach Front/Rear Swaybars, BMR Tower Brace, Eibach 1" Drop Springs, Drilled-Slotted rotors, Foose Legend SS wheels, Bluetooth Module, PDIM and Steering wheel controls, Prosport EVO Pillar Gauges 635rwhp/735rwtq
big-geek! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I know you can buy an RS in Toyko. SS not sold there. Doesn't directly answer your question but gives you a sense.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Don't know if its possible, but it just might be suicidal. They drive on the other side of the road!

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
^^ so what? I drive two rhd's imported from Japan so it's the same thing.
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
jdcvictory11
Sonja

Drives: '11 LT/RS, '95 Camaro Conv.
The driving is not the hard part. The fifth gen is so wide, it would not really fit anywhere. The roads and lanes are very narrow. All the parking spots are very narrow and they do not care about door dings. Every one of their cars has folding mirrors to handle the narrowness. I have lived in Okinawa for two years now. Plus there is a thing called JCI. It's a bi annual super inspection of your car. As a stock camaro, I would be willing to bet it would not pass. I had to send my Altezza through twice because the wheels stick out too far. In my opinion, it would be mo hassle than it's worth.
jdcvictory11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
big-geek!
Virgil, Satan's Camaro

Drives: White 2010 Camaro SS
I was stationed near Tokyo (NAF Atsugi if you're familiar with the area) for almost 10 years and I drove a 2001 Camaro SS that I had shipped over there. Yes, it was a little large for some of the very small, rural roads but I just didn’t drive there. The bi-annual inspection required to renew JCI (Japanese Comprehensive Insurance) looks at things such as lights, side blinkers, ground clearance ect. These things are not a problem as I already have someone who will install side blinkers and amber rear turn signals. Folding mirrors are not required as they do not extend beyond the widest point of the car beyond the standard (this has been confirmed)

My question is (or rather was) specifically regarding current emissions standards in Japan as I heard that recently (as recent as January 2011) the emissions standards in Japan have become stricter. When the vehicle enters into the country, it will be inspected inside and out as if it had just rolled off the assembly line. The lights and exterior requirements can be met easily. But the work that I've done to the motor may cause it to fail emissions. I can have a 5 gas analyzer hooked up to it here and discover if it will pass before I attempt to ship it. So was wondering if anyone there has attempted to pass a 2010 SS through the emissions testing in Japan.

The car I intend on bringing over will be a turbo charged SS that has had some other work done under the hood as well. So I'd be very interested in communicating with someone who has been through the process of importing a 5th gen into Japan recently. thanks

Craig
White 2010 Camaro SS/RS - HPS Front Mount Turbo System, Custom Turbo Cam, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 80lb injectors, Eibach Front/Rear Swaybars, BMR Tower Brace, Eibach 1" Drop Springs, Drilled-Slotted rotors, Foose Legend SS wheels, Bluetooth Module, PDIM and Steering wheel controls, Prosport EVO Pillar Gauges 635rwhp/735rwtq
big-geek! is offline   Reply With Quote