Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #15
91t/a
Student Athlete

Drives: 1991 trans am vert. 1 of 555.
im sure somewhere its already been said, so sry for asking but what is the CAFE exactly?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:37 PM   #16
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
Corporate Average Fuel Economy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpora...e_Fuel_Economy
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #17
asrapid

Drives: Stratus
Maybe if rules were written the car manufacturers would now what they dealing with and in what to put they resources in..or?
asrapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:41 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Why can't manufactures tune cars for MAXIMUM fuel efficiency, really crappy performance, and then just sell a tuner that brings it up to a performance number that they truly intended. Like, go from 250hp, up to 400 lol
because fuel economy isnt tied directly to hp. The Camaro is expected to get mileage at roughly equal to that of the new Evo and WRX STi, but it will weight a couple hundred pounds more, have a larger engine, and make more power. The most efficient V8 in GM trucks is the 5.3L, not the 4.8L. But it makes more power too. The V6's in the Grand Am's and Aleros circa 2000 got better mileage than the I4's did. Those are examples off the top of my head. So, turning down hp does not always turn into better fuel economy. Granted, those comparisons were all for different engines, but the concept still holds true
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:44 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It would seem efficiency is obviously the key. It seems like DI is the way to go, after all, diesels have kinda' been using that haven't they?

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:45 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

... Well, diesel is obviously a different fuel, but I think the way the fuel is injected is what is relavent.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #21
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
well - the article is correct to a point.

Here's at least two things missing:

One -- the "rules" -- the law has been passed --but the rules have not yet been written -- and, knowing our elected officials - that may take QUITE some time!

Two -- COST -- what is the cost to you, the consumer to get there?
fbodfather, You say the laws have been passed but no rules have been writen. In fairness to the automakers, until the rules have been written and adopted into the law, will the cars (MFG up to that point) be grandfathered into the new laws and rules?...

Meaning if they build it now, they (MFG's) can do what they want without worrying about the MPG #'s until the next model change?
Old 03-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #22
GSX
Falcon Punch

Drives: Scion tC (way too slow)
I Say that everyone with a V-8 should go to Capital hill and rev their engines to let the law-makers hear the "Roar of America" to protest Cafe.
GSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #23
radz28
Petro-sexual

+1

I like the way you think.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #24
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSX View Post
I Say that everyone with a V-8 should go to Capital hill and rev their engines to let the law-makers hear the "Roar of America" to protest Cafe.
That'd be WAY too dangerous. A couple Camaro's and a Corvette...and that'd shatter the Washington Monument!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:03 PM   #25
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
is there even a point to buying a car magizine... i just opened my motortrend in the mail and this was the first opinion read

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
well - the article is correct to a point.

Here's at least two things missing:

One -- the "rules" -- the law has been passed --but the rules have not yet been written -- and, knowing our elected officials - that may take QUITE some time!

Two -- COST -- what is the cost to you, the consumer to get there?
To be fair, the article did go into those two things in good detail. I just didn't want to type the whole article, but as you can see repeating only one excerpt doesn't do it justice. So I would recommend to everyone here to go read the full article. It does include a good discussion of costs and and how the rules haven't been written or even decided yet. So while we don't know what the road to efficiency and performance will look like exactly, its nice to know that the guys at GM don't want to repeat the 70s and 80s. That's the point I'm trying to get across. It won't be sunshine and roses the whole way, but it won't be as bad as it could be.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #27
Emu the Foo

Drives: 92 Cadillac Sedan DeVille S/C
Send a message via AIM to Emu the Foo Send a message via Yahoo to Emu the Foo
what does CAFE mean or is it like the gas guzzler tax.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM   #28
radz28
Petro-sexual

I believe the short version is something like all auto manufacturers will have to attain a certain average MPG for their carline or be penalized somehow.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"