Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #57
BravoMyles
 
BravoMyles's Avatar
 
Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
why are they there in the first place?
Emissions, basically.
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #58
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!
 
PDXSSCE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99 Vert Commem Ed.
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: ORegon
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Zero emissions trouble...i have to be emissions friendly. The mufflers are not related to emissions. As long as you keep your resonators in place or go with an resonated x pipe your fully legal. You car needs a muffling device of some kind...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoMyles View Post
Emissions, basically.
If I'm understanding, with the resonators in place, the mufflers aren't necessary for emissions.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #59
rontammy0
Dr feelgood
 
rontammy0's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alliston Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
If I'm understanding, with the resonators in place, the mufflers aren't necessary for emissions.
Right.
__________________


K@N Typhoon Cai
Vmax Ported Throttlebody
MSD Super Conducter plug wires
JBA shorty headers
Solo high flow cats
391 gears
Cosra Exreme 3 inch catback exhaust.
Circle D 3200 stall converter
305 x 35 20 Nitto 555r drag radials
AGP Performance tuned
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #60
BravoMyles
 
BravoMyles's Avatar
 
Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 484
As far as I know that's correct as well, as well as both cut down on volume, which is seems like GM wanted to do.

Screw that though.
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:50 PM   #61
Green Muscle
 
Drives: 2015 Green Flash
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington
Posts: 18
I have a 2015 L99.


I went round and round searching youtube videos and listening to exhaust sounds until I came across a muffler delete one.

It sounded pretty good so I went to my local muffler shop and asked how much for muffler delete and new tips.They quoted me $90 out the door so I went with it.

I could not be more happy. There is 0 drone and I keep the car in manual mode so I don't hear the AFM. The AFM is more noticeable with out the muffler, but manual mode takes that away. There is popping when using the paddles to down shift, but if I decel to a stop I just let the car shift down and there is no popping. I have to admit though I do like the popping from time to time.


I took my Camaro to a local show sponsored by PNWCC so there was a lot of Camaros there. I liked my exhaust note as much if not more then some of the MUCH more expensive setups there.

I do not know if it changed HP/TQ but for me the sound was more then worth it. I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions please let me know.
Green Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #62
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!
 
PDXSSCE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99 Vert Commem Ed.
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: ORegon
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Muscle View Post
I have a 2015 L99.

I went round and round searching youtube videos and listening to exhaust sounds until I came across a muffler delete one.

It sounded pretty good so I went to my local muffler shop and asked how much for muffler delete and new tips.They quoted me $90 out the door so I went with it.

I could not be more happy. There is 0 drone and I keep the car in manual mode so I don't hear the AFM. The AFM is more noticeable with out the muffler, but manual mode takes that away. There is popping when using the paddles to down shift, but if I decel to a stop I just let the car shift down and there is no popping. I have to admit though I do like the popping from time to time.

I took my Camaro to a local show sponsored by PNWCC so there was a lot of Camaros there. I liked my exhaust note as much if not more then some of the MUCH more expensive setups there.

I do not know if it changed HP/TQ but for me the sound was more then worth it. I hope this helps and if you have anymore questions please let me know.
I greatly appreciate all the helpful information everyone has provided!

I'm going to go for it. Now I simply need to find a shop that I trust to do it.

I like the current tips & definitely want to keep them. Why did you replace them?
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #63
BravoMyles
 
BravoMyles's Avatar
 
Drives: Blue/Black 2017 1SS
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 484
When I had a muffler delete I kept the stock tips. They just cut em off the mufflers and welded up to the pipe.

Actually kinda wish I still had them, but noooo my dad left them at his house when he moved because they would "take up too much space."
BravoMyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 PM   #64
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me
 
Homeless Man's Avatar
 
Drives: LS3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Streets of Philly
Posts: 3,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
I'm going to ask you knowledgeable folks to enlighten me. If the muffler delete improves the sound, reduces weight, increases exhaust flow & has no effect on emissions, why are they there in the first place?

Well obviously to do what a muffler does which is reduce sound. Most people don't want a loud car.
__________________
Pity a man in familiar places, who yet feels like a stranger.
Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:58 PM   #65
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!
 
PDXSSCE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99 Vert Commem Ed.
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: ORegon
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Well obviously to do what a muffler does which is reduce sound. Most people don't want a loud car.
I would think most people with a Camaro, Challenger or Mustang want a loud car.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #66
JamesMyBoy
 
Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Eastern Nebraska
Posts: 359
I did the muffler delete, not so much to make it louder, but to make it sound more like the powerful car that it is! I think it made it sound better to me while driving, without it being obnoxious to everybody else.
__________________
JamesMyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #67
rvadim76
 
Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 548
I have no muffler on my L99. Really love the sound: whether it is idling. acceleration roar or decelerating poping from the exhaust.

Recently installed headers and it's even better sound.
Muffler delete is just a cheap and efficient mode IMO. No performance gain from just this mode, except maybe weight reduce.

P.S. The sound is not too laud or obnoxious, don't worry.
rvadim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:31 PM   #68
Green Muscle
 
Drives: 2015 Green Flash
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
I greatly appreciate all the helpful information everyone has provided!

I'm going to go for it. Now I simply need to find a shop that I trust to do it.

I like the current tips & definitely want to keep them. Why did you replace them?
I have the greenflash edition and it has room for dual tips on either side so I had those put on instead of the stock ones.


Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Green Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:26 PM   #69
MrChrisLS3

 
Drives: 2011 SS
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
I would think most people with a Camaro, Challenger or Mustang want a loud car.
"Loud" is subjective, but most people are looking for a certain 'quality' of sound rather than 'quantity' of sound. Just, simply "loud" is an attention getter, which for some is the point, however, my experience is the some of the attention it gets is unwanted, you know, the flashing light kind.

Loud, as the result of a lot of go fast mods, is one thing. Loud, just to be loud, is something else. IMHO
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 PM   #70
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!
 
PDXSSCE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99 Vert Commem Ed.
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: ORegon
Posts: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13BRM2SSRS View Post
...Also, on the l99 you will diffently want to tune out AFM or get a Range AFM delete device as it sounds horrible when it kicks in and muffler delete makes it sound worse.
Why the need to tune or get Range AFM? Doesn't sport mode turn AFM off? If so, is it possible to simply drive in sport mode all the time?
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.