Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
rlem00

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Best solution for Summit White

I've been reading around and looking at getting some better wax/polish for use. I've read about both Adam's and Zaino's products. I have read that the Zaino's products are more durable than Adam's but Adam's provides a better solution to remove swirls and other paint defects.
I'll be honest that I am skeptical that either of these waxes will protect the paint better than the Meguiars I currently use. I'm going to go out on a limb and try one of the two and looking for some input.

I currently work in a very dusty environment and wash my car weekly to keep it clean. There are some micro scratches and swirls which need to be removed. I also have the vinyl stripes on the hood and decklid. I would like a product that will hold up to the environment and the weekly washings. I am looking at either the Zaino's Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit or the Adams Premium Hand Polish & Car Wax kit. If anyone has better suggestions please throw them out there.

Are the polishes contained in these kit's true polishes in that they remove the clear coat and the imperfections or do they fill them. I've always been hesitant on using true polishes on a regular basis because you only have so much clear coat to polish off before you are down to base coat.

thanks in advance
rlem00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #2
LaSS2Camaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2 SW and IOM Stripes
Meguiars Ultimate Polish is excellent.
LaSS2Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #3
rlem00

I've used there stuff for the past 10 years with no complaints, so not really sure why I want to try something new. I think it's because I want the 10% of people that don't turn and look when I drive by need to start looking
Old 05-23-2011, 05:09 AM   #4
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlem00 View Post
I've been reading around and looking at getting some better wax/polish for use. I've read about both Adam's and Zaino's products. I have read that the Zaino's products are more durable than Adam's but Adam's provides a better solution to remove swirls and other paint defects.
I'll be honest that I am skeptical that either of these waxes will protect the paint better than the Meguiars I currently use. I'm going to go out on a limb and try one of the two and looking for some input.

I currently work in a very dusty environment and wash my car weekly to keep it clean. There are some micro scratches and swirls which need to be removed. I also have the vinyl stripes on the hood and decklid. I would like a product that will hold up to the environment and the weekly washings. I am looking at either the Zaino's Ultimate Protection Show Car Kit or the Adams Premium Hand Polish & Car Wax kit. If anyone has better suggestions please throw them out there.

Are the polishes contained in these kit's true polishes in that they remove the clear coat and the imperfections or do they fill them. I've always been hesitant on using true polishes on a regular basis because you only have so much clear coat to polish off before you are down to base coat.

thanks in advance
Well first off, your thinking when it comes to fixing paint is flawed. You say that you have refrained from using a "real polish" because it removes some of the clear coat and you only have so much clear coat to remove. That is only true to a degree. The question I have for you is, "Why would you constantly be removing clear coat when the smart thing to do is to learn how to touch your paint?"

If you constantly damage your paint, then you will have to constantly repair your paint. However, if you fix your paint ONCE and then properly maintain it from that point forward, you won't have to constantly spend time fixing it over and over.

Paint doesn't get damaged by driving the car down the road. The only time your paint takes a chance at getting damaged is when something touches it. If you presently have damage in your paint, then you're "doing it wrong." What you need to do is study the practices of obtaining and maintaining perfect paint. I have a boatload of videos that address these subjects in detail. The only thing that it will cost you to learn these practices is time. So before you fix your paint, you need to identify the things that you are doing wrong, which is creating the damage in the first place.

As for the two kits that you are looking at. That Zaino kit contains nothing to remove scratches from your paint. Zaino does have a product that will but it is not contained in that kit. That kit has products that will attempt to conceal your scratches by filling them in.

The Adam's kit does contain products that will remove the scratches from your paint, however, if your paint isn't close to showroom perfect right now then you are wasting your time. Any hand kit out there is going to be worthless if your paint is jacked up or has light to medium damage. You need a polisher such as the PC-7424XP and the correct polishes in order to correct that kind of paint damage. There is absolutely no way that you can duplicate the results that you will achieve with a machine when working by hand. Thus, you need to look at a different kit from Adam's that contains the PC.

Let's talk about polishes. All polishes are not equal, nor are they all similar in cut. For example, the Adam's Fine Machine Polish can be used with a PC on your car everyday for the next 5 years and you'll barely put a dent in your clear coat. That polish is that light. However, the same cannot be said with the Adam's Severe Swirl Remover, Meguiar's M105 or the Zaino AIO. Those products remove a lot more clear coat per application. That's why you should only have to use them ONCE, and then you should properly maintain your paint from that point forward. That way, you won't have to continually beat your paint up by using some aggressive compound all the time. Those compounds should be a 1 time event in your paint's life, bar some type of accident with your paint. Smart paint maintenance is about being preventive, not reactive.

So although you have been doing some research, you have not been reading all the information you need to be reading in order to choose the proper kit from a quality product line. You need to purchase a kit that addresses the question, "How can I keep from having to constantly fix my paint after I have fixed my paint?" That was the question I had in mind when I assembled my kit. I wanted to offer the products and equipment that would not only fix the paint, but also address the issue of proper paint maintenance. If you have watched my many video series, one look at my kit will turn on the light bulb for you. If you look at my kit and you don't understand what you're looking at, your learning process starts here. You have a lot of reading and watching to do because you need "the rest of the story". After spending enough time in my videos, my kit will make perfect sense.

Meguiar's has two different product lines. Their professional "Mirror Glaze" line and then their over the counter consumer stuff. The professional stuff is great. However, I wouldn't allow Halle Barry put that OTC stuff on my car if she was wearing nothing but a thong. So whether or not you need to change product lines depends on which of their product line you are using and whether or not you are satisfied with it. There are quite a few product lines out there that will take you to Shineville, the difference is how they get you there. The one very important advantage that Adam's has is their 110% money back guarantee. Forget about the fact that their products works as advertised and their customer service is second to none in the industry, the fact that they are willing to totally refund your money plus 10% is a no brainer. That's not only how confident Adam is with his products, that (and my many videos of the product in action), is proof that this ain't your OTC junk being manufactured in China. You have seen the many threads here that tout the success that many folks have had with the product line so there should be no reluctance in your joining the many who have been "unplugged" from the crappy stuff out there shelves today.

The rabbit hole is deep, but there are a whole lot of folks on this forum who have joined Alice in Wonderland and found out just how deep the rabbit hole goes. They ain't going back to Auto Zone.

Quote:
I've used there stuff for the past 10 years with no complaints, so not really sure why I want to try something new. I think it's because I want the 10% of people that don't turn and look when I drive by need to start looking
They look at mine.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 05-23-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
rlem00....I think Junkman gave you the best answer you're gonna get from anyone.

There once was a time when I would use OTC stuff from Pep Boys and was skeptical of Adam's products. But I decided to give Adam's products a try and it's been one of the best investments that I've ever made!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Another one gets disconnected from the autozone matrix.....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #7
rlem00

Thanks for the advice, this forum is a wealth of it. I understand the process and how to make panels look like glass, and how to care for them. I'm just on the fense about the performance differences between the waxes.

About 5 years ago I did some comparisoin testing with a few readily available car waxes. I used the CASS and humidity exposure tests, modified with out the scribes ,as I was looking at how long the 'treated' surface would bead water off when compared to a coated 'untreated' surface. I was looking at an automotive powder acrylic clear coat. Granted these tests are extremes but I found that all the waxes held their ability to bead water and keep if off the surface for about 48 hours after that the water beads stuck to the surface and hazing began to appear. From that I decided the ones I tested performed about the same and that there were no real long term durability advantages to applying a wax, only short term cosmetic improvements.

My theory for the test was that as long as the water would bead off of the panel, the surface tension remained high enough to prevent a contaminant to adhere. So, as a result when the water no longer beaded off the surface, a contaminant would adhere allowing for damage to the part.

As this was an off the cuff thing at the time, done for fun by a couple of coating guys we did not look at any of the high end waxes. We were basically board and had a few extra slots in my lab during some test runs. I kinda which I still had the lab as it would be interesting to re-visit it now and actually do a formal test run. Do you know if Adams has done any testing such as this?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
rlem00

I should also note that the haze I saw on the panels could be realy washed off on both the treated and un treated panels, so there was not loss of gloss to the coating after testing other than water spotting.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:33 AM   #9
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
... Do you know if Adams has done any testing such as this?
There's one way to find out. Call 866-965-0400 and ask for Adam. Yea, that Adam.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
rlem00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
There's one way to find out. Call 866-965-0400 and ask for Adam. Yea, that Adam.
Thanks for the advice and BTW your videos are well put together! I'll be placing and order for some product this week and let you know what I think.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
rlem00

ProductQuantitySub Total:Adam's Premium Hand Polish & Car Wax Kit-Upgrade to Americana Paste Wax
SKU: K-719 $169.95Adam's Super VRT Tire & Trim Combo
SKU: SVRTK $34.95Adam's Brilliant Glaze-16oz
SKU: BG10 $24.95Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towel-1 Towel
SKU: M008 $22.95ProductQuantitySub Total:Adam's Premium Hand Polish & Car Wax Kit-Upgrade to Americana Paste Wax
SKU: M008 $22.95ProductQuantitySub Total:Adam's Premium Hand Polish & Car Wax Kit-Upgrade to Americana Paste Wax
SKU: M008 $22.95
alright for my first order I'm looking at getting the following

Premium Hand Polish & Car Wax Kit -Upgrade to Amaerican Paste Wax

Super VRT Tire & Trim Combo

Brilliant Glaze

Great White Microfiber Drying Towel

I am a little aprehensive about the swirl and haze remover, am I understanding correctly that this will not remove excessive amounts of clear when used? I am planning on useing the polish revive and briliant glaze on the first round. If that does not get the job done I will use the swirl and haze remover.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #12
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
I am a little aprehensive about the swirl and haze remover, am I understanding correctly that this will not remove excessive amounts of clear when used? I am planning on useing the polish revive and briliant glaze on the first round. If that does not get the job done I will use the swirl and haze remover.
You're buying a hand polishing kit. Did you read what I responded with earlier? You could polish some really bad damage by hand a million times and you'll be lucky to put a dent in your clear coat. Trust me, after trying this by hand for about an hour, you'll be buying a PC. I'll bet my retirement on that. As a matter of fact, you'll need a retirement to fix some jacked up paint by hand.

By the way, don't forget to use my coupon code and save yourself some money on the purchase.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
rlem00

k dunno why it pasted the cart 4 times over. I am aware it is a hand polishing kit. Thanks for the advice and I may end up getting a PC in the end. I think spending some time doing this by hand may be just the distraction I need!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Nothing wrong with trying and I don't want to curb your enthusiasm. I just want you to be forewarned so that your expectation level is about par.