Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
pizza_jim

Drives: 1988 K5 Blazer
Spoiler Question, No answer from cosmetic forum....

My order is in I have a SS2 Aqua Blue, White stripe package with RS package. My dealer said he could not add the high spoiler to my car. Also he couldn't add the colored engine cover either.
I originally had ordered Black with orange stripes.
Does anyone know why he couldn't do the spoiler and engine cover yet?
pizza_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza_jim View Post
My order is in I have a SS2 Aqua Blue, White stripe package with RS package. My dealer said he could not add the high spoiler to my car. Also he couldn't add the colored engine cover either.
I originally had ordered Black with orange stripes.
Does anyone know why he couldn't do the spoiler and engine cover yet?
I believe that the high spoiler and the engine cover are LPO items (meaning dealer installed). Prices don't exist for those items so some dealers may say they can't be added. This would be my guess.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #3
lakestar

Drives: 2010 Camaro
You cannot add a High Wing Spoiler to an SS. You get the SS Spoiler.

As I understand it at this point, the holes in the trunk lid are different for the spoilers, so even if you ordered a High Wing Spoiler later you need to replace the trunk lid as well unfortunately.

Kind of a bummer, but I guess the V6 crowd should get some V6 only perks.
Black Hood and Hockey Stripes
Polished Aluminum Wheels
Orange Engine Cover
lakestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
High wing spoiler because GM doesn't like ricers.

I kid, I kid.

The real reason is that the high wing spoiler uses different mounting holes than the spoiler that comes with the SS and RS. Therefore, you'd have to fill the holes in your trunk and remount the new spoiler. You'll have to just order the spoiler from the parts counter when they're ready if you really wanna do this.

As for the engine cover, it is "Available in (GAQ) Red Jewel Tintcoat, (GBA) Black, (GCN)
Victory Red, (GCO) Rally Yellow or (GCR) Inferno Orange Metallic and requires the same exterior color." I thought I read on here that they could put in a note or something for the color choice and get it whatever color but maybe it won't let them order it if the color isn't available. Probably just have to order this separate as well.

Both of these are dealer installed options so whether they're ordered with your car or separate won't really matter.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
kanys

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakestar View Post
You cannot add a High Wing Spoiler to an SS. You get the SS Spoiler.

As I understand it at this point, the holes in the trunk lid are different for the spoilers, so even if you ordered a High Wing Spoiler later you need to replace the trunk lid as well unfortunately.

Kind of a bummer, but I guess the V6 crowd should get some V6 only perks.
Hmm I thought the High Wing was avaliable on any car, and it would override the spoiler if the car had any? So are you saying that the V6 w/ RS can have High Wing, which would override the RS spoiler, which is pretty much the SS spoiler, but they cannot do this for the SS?
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 08:57 PM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Hmm I thought the High Wing was avaliable on any car, and it would override the spoiler if the car had any? So are you saying that the V6 w/ RS can have High Wing, which would override the RS spoiler, which is pretty much the SS spoiler, but they cannot do this for the SS?
You are correct,

any of the GMPP or dealer installed exterior options, except maybe the engine covers on the V6, are available for all cars... I'm almost positive. But, like others have said. They don't have prices and aren't in the system yet so we don't know for sure.

Sorry for being so ambiguous.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
You are correct,

any of the GMPP or dealer installed exterior options, except maybe the engine covers on the V6, are available for all cars... I'm almost positive. But, like others have said. They don't have prices and aren't in the system yet so we don't know for sure.

Sorry for being so ambiguous.
Nope. Look at the order code book and you'll see that the high wing spoiler cannot be added onto a LS/LT with RS or SS model. Nothing is stopping someone from ordering it directly from GMPP, separate from the car, when available to do so but you'll have to go through the trouble of filling the holes and getting the thing put on correctly.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Woops, Sorry. I was thinking blade... Forgot about the high wing My bad.

So, you mean to say the High Wing spoiler can only be installed on a V6 (LS or LT) without the RS package?

Maybe this has already been discussed.

But, that's dumb IMVHO. Why produce something that can only be added to limited models.

Hmm.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Woops, Sorry. I was thinking blade... Forgot about the high wing My bad.

So, you mean to say the High Wing spoiler can only be installed on a V6 (LS or LT) without the RS package?

Maybe this has already been discussed.

But, that's dumb IMVHO. Why produce something that can only be added to limited models.

Hmm.
I'm not sure that that is correct. You should be able to install any part on the car. Just make sure that the dealer orders it with a spoiler delete, and then adds the high spoiler later.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
lakestar

Quote:

Hmm.
Yeah, I agree. It almost seems like the High Wing Spoiler was a late addition that was not well thought out. It's also not available in all colors, including Inferno Orange as an original order. GMPP may make all colors available eventually.
Black Hood and Hockey Stripes
Polished Aluminum Wheels
Orange Engine Cover
lakestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
UCF w00t
Geek

Agreed. It is a bit of a dumb call. They should've agreed on a bolt layout that accommodated all the spoilers. Don't see why they couldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'm not sure that that is correct. You should be able to install any part on the car. Just make sure that the dealer orders it with a spoiler delete, and then adds the high spoiler later.
I don't think there is a "spoiler delete". The only method I've read is to order the spoiler separate, remove the SS/RS spoiler, fill the holes, and install the high wing. But then again, that could easily change or be incorrect altogether.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
99b4c

Drives: 89 RS/99 GTP/1SS soon
There has to be a spoiler delete option, the LS has no spoiler.
99b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Agreed. It is a bit of a dumb call. They should've agreed on a bolt layout that accommodated all the spoilers. Don't see why they couldn't.
They can't do that as the high wing spoiler requires holes in the middle of the trunk lid while the other 2 require holes at the end. Can you imagine what a high wing spoiler would look like if it had to be mounted on the end or what the SS or dovetail spoiler would look like if they had to be mounted in the middle of the trunk?
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
UCF w00t
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
They can't do that as the high wing spoiler requires holes in the middle of the trunk lid while the other 2 require holes at the end. Can you imagine what a high wing spoiler would look like if it had to be mounted on the end or what the SS or dovetail spoiler would look like if they had to be mounted in the middle of the trunk?
Hmm, yea I see what you're saying. Found this pic...

You can kind of see the SS/RS spoiler in the pic and see how it is at the edge of the trunk vs the wing being in the middle.

Maybe there is no easy solution to this after all .