Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-30-2009, 07:11 AM   #1
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown

Drives: 08 Vette
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
New Shelby Mustang revealed as race-only 'R Model'

New Shelby Mustang revealed as race-only 'R Model' on Autoblog

Yesterday, we got word of a new Shelby Mustang to be unveiled at the NHRA Winternationals, and now Shelby has released official details of the new model, a race-only R-Model commemorating Jerry Titus' 1965 SCCA Championship with the original Shelby GT-350R. Naturally, we assumed the car would be based on the 2010 model year, but the 2007-2008 Shelby GT will actually be used as the base platform.

Each car gets a plethora of performance upgrades, including a Ford Racing supercharger good for 550 horsepower, a six-speed Tremec TR6060 transmission, 3.73:1 gears, Grand-Am spec roll cage, side-exit exhaust system, differential and transmission coolers, racing brakes with cooling ducts, unique grill, carbon fiber rear wing, and an "R Model" dash plaque. Production will be extremely limited, with Shelby promising to only build up to 37 examples, the same number produced as the original R-Model, at total cost of $134,995. The cars won't be legal for street use, but they do qualify for NASA American Iron's Extreme class. No pictures of the car have been released yet, but we will be sure to bring them to you as soon as we get our hands on them. Hit the jump for the press release from Shelby and more details on the new R-Model Mustang.

[Source: Shelby Automobiles]

PRESS RELEASE:

Four decades after Shelby and Ford collaborated on a race version of the legendary Mustang, the companies are offering a limited edition track day version of the Ford Shelby GT. Ford Racing and Shelby Automobiles, a wholly owned subsidiary of Carroll Shelby International, Inc. (PINKSHEETS: CSBI) will commemorate the 1965 SCCA championship of Jerry Titus and final production of the current generation Mustang by offering up to 37 total 550 horsepower Shelby GT "R Model." The 2009 Shelby GT "R Model" will be available for US$134,995.

"In 1965, my team built 37 small block 'R Model' race-only versions of the Shelby GT350 Mustang that kicked tails on circuits worldwide," said Carroll Shelby, founder of Shelby Automobiles. "Working with Ford Racing, we're going to build a new track day 'R Model' version of the Ford Shelby GT. It'll be lots of fun to drive and ready to rip up the pavement right out of the box."

The track day car will be featured as a "Jerry Titus Drivers Edition" to honor his 1965 "B Production" championship, which was the first for a Shelby Mustang. Jerry was one of the special drivers who piloted Shelby Mustangs to total domination on the track. Not only did he win the first championship, he broke the story of the "R Model" to the world in Sports Car Graphic and was instrumental in its development. The 2009 Jerry Titus Edition "R Model" lives up to his performance legacy.

The "R Model" version of the Mustang will be a purpose-built track car based on the same 4.6-liter V8 that powers every Ford Shelby GT; the vehicles cannot be registered for the street. Additional power will come from the Ford Racing/Whipple Twin Screw intercooled supercharger installed by Shelby and mated to a T6060 GT500-based six speed transmission before the Shelby team inserts them into the race-ready chassis. Each will be painted white with silver stripes and documented in the Shelby Registry. The racer qualifies for the NASA "American Iron Extreme" class and an excellent all-around track car that is uniquely Shelby.

"From the competition brakes to the straight pipes, this fantastic car is worthy of the 'R Model' designation," stated Amy Boylan, President of Shelby Automobiles. "Working closely with Ford Racing, we engineered a car with the balanced handling, serious power and spectacular brakes that serious enthusiasts want. And just like the car driven by Jerry Titus in 1965, this Ford Shelby GT 'R Model' showcases our expertise in an affordable, turnkey package."

The "R Model" is based on the 2007-08 model Ford Shelby GT. The streetcar is a well-balanced, fun to drive machine that leveraged Shelby's experience making Mustangs go faster.

"The Shelby name has stood for performance since Carroll began building cars for the track in 1962," added Brian Wolfe, director, Ford North America Motorsports. "Track Day enthusiasts have been asking for a contemporary Shelby and Ford Track Car for some time, so we at Ford Racing are pleased to team up with Shelby Automobiles to build a handful of very special cars. We look forward to watching them roar past Camaros and Challengers when they show up at the track."

2009 Ford Shelby GT "R Model" track day car highlights:

* 4.6-liter supercharged V-8 producing an estimated 550-horsepower
* 6-speed manual transmission with GT500 clutch, Ford Racing short- throw shifter and 3.73:1 gears
* Grand-Am spec roll cage
* Upgraded cooling system including differential and transmission coolers
* Shelby performance side exhaust system
* Lightweight production chassis with tuned suspension tuning including new springs
* Shelby-designed 18-inch wheels with racing tires
* Racing brakes with front brake cooling ducts
* Unique grill featuring classic Shelby 'R Model' design
* 'Shelby' lettering across the front edge of hood and rear decklid, Shelby badges on the quarter panels
* Carbon fiber rear racing wing with billet stanchions and carbon fiber splitter
* White with silver stripes livery and racing mirrors
* Carroll Shelby autograph on each car and official Shelby "R Model" dash plate

A limited number will be built; orders will be accepted starting today by calling Shelby Autos at (702) 942-7325.
I would kill for a gale banks diesel powered camaro. I would have so much torque and power that whenever I go to parades I would be physically able to throw torque out the window like candy for the kids.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
cool i guess.... another 500+hp mustang.

I wish we had a car with that kind of power... oh wait we do. the caddy. lmao.

cant wait to see some pics of this.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
I don't get it, is it an old car or new one?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
carsismeZ06
Corvette and Camaro lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro...some day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
cool i guess.... another 500+hp mustang.

I wish we had a car with that kind of power... oh wait we do. the caddy. lmao.

cant wait to see some pics of this.
Mustang seems to make the slowest 500hp cars I've ever seen!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
TorrentRS
No, Not the Pontiac.

Drives: Parent's 84 Chevy Fug-lebrity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsismeZ06 View Post
I don't get it, is it an old car or new one?
They killed the GT500KR. Revised the Mustang's styling, and stuck the Kr's engine in the regular GT500. So it's "new"
TorrentRS is offline   Reply With Quote