Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #1
Wgrenon

Drives: RIP 2011 Camaro SS/RS Vert Black
Angry Convertible Leak

Last week I thought I was crazy and found a wet rear passenger carpet. Thought maybe I did something wrong like not closing the door all the way or maybe a window was open a bit.

Today we had a massive rain storm and again it's a problem. Knew it was going to rain so I triple checked everything to be safe. Get into the car and find this:

http://youtu.be/BiYH5mA_czU
Wgrenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Holy chit . I'd raise hell at the dealership ASAP.
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
SSAINT

Drives: "11 2SS/RS VR vert BG/BG SW stripes
Water management bag?

There was a service bulletin about a month or so ago about the dealers checking the bag before the convertible was lowered for the first time to see if it was adjusted properly. Do you know if they did this? I think this bag catches the rain and protects the interior until the rain can drain out of it. Also some members were showing pics of their convertible where the base of the roof at the rear didn't meet up properly with the rear deck and there was a gap. Fortunately I havn't had a drop come in...yet. Good luck!
SSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Justification

Drives: Red 2SS/RS Convertible
My guess is it's going to be the rubber boot where the top meets the trim in front of the trunk. If you see any gap between it and the trunk, water will run into a boot you can see down there and probably into your car. Check to see if you trunk is wet also, especially where the spare tire would sit.
Expect about 2-3 weeks at the dealer for a repair while waiting on parts!
Justification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Wgrenon

Don't know if they did the TSB but the finish at the trunk area that others have reported is fine, tucked in like it supposed to be. I'll find out more Monday AM
Old 05-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Wgrenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAINT View Post
There was a service bulletin about a month or so ago about the dealers checking the bag before the convertible was lowered for the first time to see if it was adjusted properly. Do you know if they did this? I think this bag catches the rain and protects the interior until the rain can drain out of it. Also some members were showing pics of their convertible where the base of the roof at the rear didn't meet up properly with the rear deck and there was a gap. Fortunately I havn't had a drop come in...yet. Good luck!
Found this, sounds like the Water Bag:

http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/2...st-time-5.html

Last edited by Wgrenon; 05-15-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Wgrenon,

I apologize for the problem you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
Caron, Chevrolet Customer Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgrenon View Post
Last week I thought I was crazy and found a wet rear passenger carpet. Thought maybe I did something wrong like not closing the door all the way or maybe a window was open a bit.

Today we had a massive rain storm and again it's a problem. Knew it was going to rain so I triple checked everything to be safe. Get into the car and find this:

http://youtu.be/BiYH5mA_czU
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
bowtye

Drives: 2011 iom ss/rs convertable
me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Wgrenon,

I apologize for the problem you are experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
Caron, Chevrolet Customer Service
same problem hen they want me to bring it in leaveit at the dealer sothey can scratch there heads and leave it in the parkin lot while it fils up wih water for 5 weeks awsome
bowtye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justification View Post
My guess is it's going to be the rubber boot where the top meets the trim in front of the trunk. If you see any gap between it and the trunk, water will run into a boot you can see down there and probably into your car. Check to see if you trunk is wet also, especially where the spare tire would sit.
Expect about 2-3 weeks at the dealer for a repair while waiting on parts!
I do have a bit of a gap on the passenger side in the trim and the edge of the car (where it meets the roof)... I havent experienced any leaks yet and had it in recently to check the TSB...
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
debilouobxers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
If you have 'the gap' between the roof and the trunk - you need to have the 5th rib replaced. the brackets do not fit right leaving a 1" gap between roof and trunk. Had mine replaced last week - roof fits tight and it also sits deeper into the trunk when you put it down. this makes the tauny cover fit alot better also - nice and flat.
debilouobxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
z28camaro2471
C5 Member #227

Drives: Camaros
That is completely unacceptable.
z28camaro2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
debilouobxers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible
Well fortunetly for me, while browsing this website, another owner posted the problem - this was back in February when we were the first ones to have our verts. So I never took my vert out in the rain. I went to my dealer with the info and he found nothing posted about this problem. He opened an incident with GM who came back and told him that certain VINs have this problem and they ordered the new rib. Now why doesn't GM send a service bullitin to the owners? Why are they letting customers have their $50K cars ruined first.... yeah... unacceptable. took 3 months to get resolved.
debilouobxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #13
AWM1966

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, Vert, Triple Blk
Exact Same Leak

Had the exact same leak as Wgrenon. Rear floor board held standing water after a heavy weekend of rain -- just two days after picking up the vehicle. Dealer was perplexed. Car has been at the dealer for almost three weeks waiting on parts. For the four weeks I've owned the vehicle, have only been able to drive it for just one week. And to add insult to injury, the air conditioning compressor failed the first week as well. Expected a lot more and more than disappointed so far with this purchase.
AWM1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 AM   #14
Wgrenon

Just got her back. Seems that a loose tube that is part of the water management system was not secure. The info I got from this site helped the dealer a lot in quickly getting to the bottom of it.

The condition is a known issue with GM and isn't an issue on all verts. If you are getting one ask them if the performed the check of the water management bag system as required before the top was EVER lowered the first time. If they say no or they don't know, have them look up the bulletin and check out if the tubes (run from right behind the rear seat side windows and out the rear of the car, one on each side) are secured.