Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #113
compudiva
BLCSWAN

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Toyota 4Runner
Can someone post a sound bite of what your engine sounds like at idle after the SC replacement.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2014, 09:11 PM   #114
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by compudiva View Post
Can someone post a sound bite of what your engine sounds like at idle after the SC replacement.

Thanks
Here's a whole bunch of videos I compiled...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336016
Old 07-11-2014, 11:39 PM   #115
blk 2013

Drives: 2017 SS 6sp
how many charger have gone bad in relationship to the number of ZL1's made? is it only a limited amount or are they all going to go bad at some point
blk 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #116
mikepconline

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Went to the dealership this morning. They are ordering me a new SC.

"I have one speed, I have one gear: Go!"
mikepconline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #117
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Z's4me View Post
I too received my letter from GM today. It's not a recall notice per say, but stated some 2013 Chevrolet Camaro vehicles with the 6.2l V8 engine with a supercharger may not function as designed.

They went on to say that if you notice a rattle noise at idle this will lead to problems, even an engine seizure or no start condition. GM did state in bold text Do not take your vehicle to the your Chevrolet dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition described above. The good news that has been discussed in this thread is the if the rattling condition dues arise within this 10 or 120,000 warranty it will be repaired at no charge.

My car does not exhibit any rattling from the supercharger but when it does I will take in in immediately. They must be sending out letter to the 2012 ZL1 owners too.
This may sound a little crazy but make sure your car is at normal operating temperature and then pop the hood and carefully physically put your ear to the engine cover so it's touching it. That's how I first discovered mine. Even if it's a faint marbling noise it will get worse in time and you should replace it ASAP!.........
Good Luck!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:55 PM   #118
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
Got the letter in the mail yesterday. 9k miles and still no rattle. Guess I have 101k miles for it to start.
111K actually!
Old 07-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #119
WHITE HEAT

Drives: '14 ZL1#07 '67 CHEVY II 427 STROKER
Well.....

I've read ALL THE THREADS that apply to this topic. Really I did I took my ride to Chase Chevrolet today and I have the marble sound. My ride is indeed a 2014 ZL1 and was the 7th one to roll off the assembly line for 2014.

The sound is very FAINT and INCONSISTANT ..... But it's there and the ride has almost 10K on it, it runs GREAT..... Chase told me they will replace the S/C ..... Not a problem.

I'm going to run it for a while and keep a eye on it

Dave
WHITE HEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 PM   #120
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledbetterjw View Post
Did the dealer give you any hassle over the rotofab intake when you took it in? Should I remove mine before taking it in?
Rotofab is not an issue. I have one on my ZL1 when I took it in and the dealer didn't say a word, just replaced the SC. No questions.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #121
compudiva
BLCSWAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Here's a whole bunch of videos I compiled...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336016
Thanks mlee. I was hoping to hear a post SC change to hear what a normal SC should sound like.
Old 07-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #122
compudiva
BLCSWAN

Anyone in the Maryland area have their SC replaced? If so, which dealer - did you have any problems?
Old 07-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #123
Cooks ZL1

Drives: 13 Camaro ZL1
Also looking for a good dealer in Maryland to have mine done.
Cooks ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:56 AM   #124
2Z's4me

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTZL1 View Post
This may sound a little crazy but make sure your car is at normal operating temperature and then pop the hood and carefully physically put your ear to the engine cover so it's touching it. That's how I first discovered mine. Even if it's a faint marbling noise it will get worse in time and you should replace it ASAP!.........
Good Luck!
I typically get in my car start it up and drive off. Today I'm off from work and started the car with the hood up and let it warm up. I always check my fluids regularly but the car is not running. Today I could hear a faint rattling noise at idle by just standing in front of the car, where the supercharger drive pulley is located. Going to the drivers side of the engine can hear a rattle as well, not so much on passenger side. This is why I never noticed it inside the car while driving it, with all of the moving parts the faint sound can be muffled by the sound of the engine, supercharger whine and the exhaust note. So, I called my dealership to inform them my car needs service based on the noise described in the letter I received from GM. I have an appointment scheduled this week. Thanks!
2Z's4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #125
CRTZL1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Z's4me View Post
I typically get in my car start it up and drive off. Today I'm off from work and started the car with the hood up and let it warm up. I always check my fluids regularly but the car is not running. Today I could hear a faint rattling noise at idle by just standing in front of the car, where the supercharger drive pulley is located. Going to the drivers side of the engine can hear a rattle as well, not so much on passenger side. This is why I never noticed it inside the car while driving it, with all of the moving parts the faint sound can be muffled by the sound of the engine, supercharger whine and the exhaust note. So, I called my dealership to inform them my car needs service based on the noise described in the letter I received from GM. I have an appointment scheduled this week. Thanks!
Glad your getting it taken care of.
Mine was the same way, you could not hear it from idling or even when the Hood was popped and you standing by it. Me being as anal as I am had to put my ear to the cover and sure enough very faintly I could hear it. It did get to the point before I brought it in that you could start to hear it by just being in front of the car with the Hood open.
Glad I caught it early, that's why people should really get a close listen.
The people that say they can hear it very faintly and that they'll keep an eye on it are not thinking it through in my opinion.
It has to be doing more damage then good. Get it fixed!! The install of the new one went very smoothly and everything is sounding as it should.
The only thing is last week my malfunction indicator lamp came on and it ran a code for bank 1 sensor 1 O2, only mod I have is a rotofab and a mild to wild switch....... the car drove perfectly still, so I brought it down to the dealership and they are convinced it had to do with the new supercharger install. Not sure I'm buying that but they cleared it and it hasn't been back yet, so will see, I'll keep an eye on it .... hopefully it never comes back.
Personally I think it has to do with the M2W switch....
Old 07-15-2014, 08:40 PM   #126
compudiva
BLCSWAN

CRTZL1 can you post what it sounds like now that you have gotten it fixed/replaced.