Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Iron Maiden

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Talking Whipple install prep

This weekend, I have 3 days and the help of 2 friends to install the following on my 2010 l99: whipple complete set up, longtubes, exhaust, CAI, driveshaft loop, and catch can. I'm really relying more on a mechanic friend than myself, but I would like to go in as prepared as possible.

This 3 day install will be at his house, 2 hours away, so I can't afford to not get it done in this timeframe. All of the parts are already there. I was going to browse the whipplie instructions for a tools list, but instructions are at his house too.

Besides obvious tools, sockets, wrenches, drivers, impact wrench, jackstands, tape, etc. what types of things do I need to be sure I have readily available? Or what kind of stuff did you have to go to the store to buy during your install, besides beer and pizza?

Pinning the crank sounds like the worst part. Also any links to whipple builds, new or old would be helpful. I have seen a few but I want to read them all, to hopefully avoid some roadblocks others may have had.

I may be on this weekend asking some dumb questions. Be prepared, haha.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
Iron Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
speedmon

Drives: C6 Z06
You can do the whipple from the top.
But for the exhaust you may want a lift.
speedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #3
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
out of curiosity how many miles on the engine. I would like to do this next year on my 2010 L99 but Im not sure if there is engine wear you have to worry about. Thanks

Oh and Congrats!
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
MA2010SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
This weekend, I have 3 days and the help of 2 friends to install the following on my 2010 l99: whipple complete set up, longtubes, exhaust, CAI, driveshaft loop, and catch can. I'm really relying more on a mechanic friend than myself, but I would like to go in as prepared as possible.

This 3 day install will be at his house, 2 hours away, so I can't afford to not get it done in this timeframe. All of the parts are already there. I was going to browse the whipplie instructions for a tools list, but instructions are at his house too.

Besides obvious tools, sockets, wrenches, drivers, impact wrench, jackstands, tape, etc. what types of things do I need to be sure I have readily available? Or what kind of stuff did you have to go to the store to buy during your install, besides beer and pizza?

Pinning the crank sounds like the worst part. Also any links to whipple builds, new or old would be helpful. I have seen a few but I want to read them all, to hopefully avoid some roadblocks others may have had.

I may be on this weekend asking some dumb questions. Be prepared, haha.

Thanks in advance.

-Chris
The install took me about 14 hours by myself on the whipple alone, it is very straight forward install, pinning the crank literally took 5 minutes to do with a good angle air drill and whipple supplied the drill bit also with the correct depth to install the dowels. The headers you will need 22" of ground clearance to do and that took about 4hours to complete with a cat back. If you have any questions contact whipple and their techs are very good at walking you through something if needed. Good luck with the install and I would not go WOT until you get that car tuned, don't trust the superchips tune because that is set up for a stock vehicle. That tune will most likely be lean because of the CAI and headers

2010 Camaro SS Whipple SC, CAI Inc Intake, TSP 1 7/8" LT headers no cats, 3" magnaflow exhaust, HPT, RX Catch Can, LSR Toe Rods, LSR Trailing Arms, ALKY Control Meth, McLeod RXT Twin Disc, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.73 ZL1 Differential Kit, BTR PDS Stage 2 Cam, Tuned by SLOWHAWK Performance Bridgewater MA
MA2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
SSawdusty
Crewel Jewel

Drives: RJT-2SS-RS-6M
Here is a link to my build. Hope it helps.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211238

SSawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
motor389

Drives: 642 HP Supercharged 2010 RS/SS
What I found to be the hardest thing on the build was putting the SC on top and sliding it into position ! On this is the only thing I needed help with!!! I installed this in my driveway in 17 hours !could of done better if not for all the friends stopping by for all of the ohhhhh ahhhhhhhs!!!!!!!!!!also the stock tune is not bad!!!!
motor389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Iron Maiden

Sounds like it may take a little longer than I originally thought. I'm hoping with 3 people, we can figure it out though. The car has a little less than 20k miles on it. I got it a few months ago.

SSawdusty, thanks for the link. That is one of the 2 builds I have printed out already. Very well done, lots of good tips. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm hoping the jackstands will be tall enough for headers, I dont think we will have access to a lift. If it came down to it, I could always skip the headers and exhaust, and save it for another weekend. But I'd really like to get it all done at once.

I did check with my dealership and I am on the current operating version of everything, so I dont think i will have any issues loading the canned tune.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Iron Maiden

Just thought of something. Isnt there some kind of tool needed when you are pinning the crank on the auto, for when you are about to torque the bolt down? Is this truly necessary and where would I get one?
Old 10-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
ToddB

Drives: 2011 2SS Convertible Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
Just thought of something. Isnt there some kind of tool needed when you are pinning the crank on the auto, for when you are about to torque the bolt down? Is this truly necessary and where would I get one?
That is the fly wheel lock
ToddB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
ToddB

Register at this website and you can then download the whipple install instructions. http://www.lethalperformance.com/whi...kit-black.html
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
ToddB

Here is my install I did 2 weeks ago. Get some ball end metric allen wrenches for one bolt that is hard to get at. I think its 5mm. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251787