Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-02-2010, 01:48 AM   #15
sparky78

Drives: ls3, m6, SS/RS, Red W/ black stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaz1335 View Post
Few hints if your gonna do the install yourself.
Have someone help you as there are times during the install that you need help.
Install the rear hoses before placing the supercharger on the top of the motor before securing it down.
TAKE YOUR TIME!!! I can not stress it enough. A rushed install will cause you more headaches than you need.
Make sure you install the brass plug in the top of the intercooler.
The hardest part of securing the supercharger down is working around everything..I ended up using a socket wrench slide bar to secure mine down.
I would recommend a quality catch can for blow by in the PCV valve system. I'm recommending you go with elite engineering or another quality catch can promoted here..they work and will save you money in the long run. Trust me..detonation and a bunch of other things that are caused by oil blow by is not good for a motor.
Don't forget to install the tune with the package before starting your motor..I've seen someone do this firsthand on a G8 and the end result was not pretty.
Check your engine oil more than usual...there is nothing worse than spending all that money just to blow your motor. I would also reccomend checking the catch can after a few good passes or after about 100 miles of normal driving..you will be surprised at the amount of oil blow by you have with a supercharger.
Check your intercooler resivior..as long as it's halfway full...it's good. Any more and it just leaks out of the cap because of boil over.
Your supercharger is relatively maintenance free as the only thing you should keep an eye on are the belts. I would also recommend having spare belts on hand in case you throw a belt..better to be prepared than stranded with a belt that takes a few days to order...especially the rear 6 rib belt.
That's all I can think of...however, if you have any questions...feel free to ask.
This is what I was looking for! Thanks for the extra info. I'll be looking for a catch can to add to my system to help prevent the extra oil being thrown into the engine. As for the belts, I should be good for one of each belt in the trunk, or should I be riding with two?

yeah Mike I thought about that and did a bit of reading and what not. I think the ls3 will handle the boost that will be fed into it. Also I'm curious as to what those 5 grand worth of upgrades would be if I did need to add them? Just to be clear on this and anything Ik've said earlier, this isn't a personal attack or anything of the sort, but I am curious as to what I would need.

Last edited by sparky78; 09-02-2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Things added are in bold.
sparky78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:08 AM   #16
Kwaz1335
The Kwaz

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Kwaz1335
Keep one of each belt in the trunk (6 rib and your main drive belt). The chances of throwing a belt are rare but are increased with the new amount of tension placed on a belt...especially the main drive belt which drives all your engine componets.
Picked up and brought home 6/26/2009
2010 Black on Black SS/RS Camaro
Silver stripe package
Ground effects package
6 Speed Manual Transmission with Hurst short throw, Magnuson Supercharger, SLP loudmouth 1 kit.
Kwaz1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #17
tbss1
More then meets the eye!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 426 hp
A hole lota power, and fun.
2010 2SS/RS, M6, OBX 7/8" l/t headers, with high flow cats, MBRP full 3" exhaust, Whipple supercharger, 3.875 pulley, ID-1050X 1260CC injectors, JRE rough idle street blower cam kit, ZL1 fp, ZL1 fpcm, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, cold air intake, Richman 4.10 gears, BMR toe rods, trailing arms, f/r sway bars, f/r sway bar end links, BMR end link brackets, full BMR poly bushing including solid rear cradle bushings, BMR frame connectors and tunnel brace, f/r Hurst swaybar bushing brackets, Fluidamper, MGR shifter, and tune by Jannetty Racing.
tbss1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #18
destroyerofu2
xbox360 tag

Drives: 2010 inferno orange 2SS
along with the belts make sure you have the tools to change them on the road (breaker bar and socket are cheap at walmart)
It's mine, like it or not. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108079
destroyerofu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #19
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
well you dont just throw on a supercharger... need to make make sure the engine can handle the extra boost. i mean when you add a supercharger you should be spending like 5 grand more on other things to help the engine with the extra boost... sure you can do it... but dont expect the engine to last long

What are you talking about, do your homework ...

Stock LS3 with E-Force 540 RWHP

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103333
Old 09-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #20
lock

Drives: 11 2SS/RS E-Force Supercharged
Not sure what some folks are talking about. These motors in stock setup will easily handle a super charger. If you go swapping cranking up boost over the stock pulley then you need to make other considerations.

What to expect, a big grin, worn out tires and poor gas mileage. The mpg will only suffer because its so hard to keep your foot out of it. Normal cruising wont hurt the mpg though but what fun is that .

lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:33 PM   #21
sparky78

thanks guys!
Old 09-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #22
sparky78

Just letting everyone know I just got my supercharger delivered!
Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM   #23
Kwaz1335
The Kwaz

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Kwaz1335
Picked up and brought home 6/26/2009
2010 Black on Black SS/RS Camaro
Silver stripe package
Ground effects package
6 Speed Manual Transmission with Hurst short throw, Magnuson Supercharger, SLP loudmouth 1 kit.
Kwaz1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #24
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
all i am saying is that i personally would never, add a supercharger and that being the only engine mod... sure the engine can handle it, but you are putting more stress on the car.. transmission, axles, etc.. sure its not going to break right away but it will not last as long as the stock setup...

i am not saying your going to blow a piston the next time you WOT..but over time just putting extra wear on the power train, when you could spend a little more and increase the engine life.

i mean your spending 7k, and your not even getting a dyno tune really?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:10 PM   #25
toast
Toast

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Maggie Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky78 View Post
I did talk to the people selling the kit and they were telling me that it's working better at the moment with the stock intake since aftermarket ones were throwing codes. I am going to be installing headers and a catback system.

This isn't going to be a car that is pushed to it's limits. I'd just like the extra bit of power when passing and what not. I'm not much for going crazy fast or anything like that.

When it all comes down to is this: I wanted a supercharger and I bought one. Other upgrades will be coming in the future, just not at this time.
You say now "I'm not much for going crazy fast or anything like that." Wait 'til you get a feel for that Magna Charger. The extra power is awesome ... you will love it.

I am a shade tree guy and I installed my own Maggie. It took about 12 hours, taking my time ... here are some tips.

- First of all reprogram the car's computer before you pull the battery terminal so you don't forget. It is important that the SCT program is installed before you attempt to start the engine with the Magna Charger.

- second ... after you remove the intake manifold be careful to vacuum the valley and port area and tape it off first thing to be sure nothing gets into the engine through the intake ports.

- third ... You need a decent quality impact to remove the Harmonic Balance bolt. Take your time and pin the crank correctly. This is an important step.

- fourth ... if you re-install the oil pressure sensor correctly to the valley cover it will be a non issue. Be sure the connector locking clip is facing the firewall. This is a step that you want to be sure you got right before moving on.

- fifth ... Be sure to install the brass plug in the top of the heat exchanger. There was no mention of this plug in the otherwise highly detailed instructions.

- sixth ... I suggest using braided sleeving instead of the split loom that is provided with the kit. It works better in the heat of the engine compartment and also looks a hell of a lot better.

- seventh ... Get ADM's coil raise kit so you can hide the ejector loom behind the coil rails. It is very cheap (less than $20) and makes a huge difference in the appearance.

- eighth ... keep the heater hoses long enough to route them under the SC coolant reservoir or get a heater hose relocation kit from ADM Performance. It cleans up the clutter on the already congested passenger side of the engine.

- ninth ... install the hoses to the back of the super charger assembly before you place it on top of the engine. (see step 156) It makes it slightly more awkward to position the assembly but it is far easier than trying to place the clamps on these hoses after the SC is in place.

- tenth ...there are two of the manifold bolts that are hard to get to. I tightened them using an open end/box combo wrench with a screwdriver through the box end for leverage (you know that old trick) ...

- eleventh ... if you use a 90 degree barb fitting on the passenger side Super Charger inlet, you can dress that hose down behind the pulley drive shaft.This way it won't rub on the shaft or interfere with the PCV to air inlet hose ... plus it looks much neater.

- twelfth ... Beginning at step 134 it describes a process of changing the IAT sensor point from the MAF sensor connector in the air-box to the two white wires on the SuperCharger assembly. When I had ADM's Race CAI installed Pat reconnected the blue and tan wires to the MAF sensor connector. He told me that this is where the sensor is supposed to be. I don't know if that is only true with ADM's Race CAI or if it is also the case with a stock airbox? You may want to research this before you go to all the trouble to cut these wires and reassemble the loom etc ... etc ...

- Lucky number 13 ... use only DEX coolant in your supercharger heat exchanger and in your radiator. It has something to do with aluminum. I made a mistake and used the green alien guts antifreeze. We had to flush it all out.

- You would think that since I used a point 13 above that I am not superstitious ... well, maybe I am because when I filled my Supercharger with coolant I jacked up the rear of the car so that the inlet and outlet of the SC were at a high point so I would not trap any air bubbles in the front of the Super Charger. There is some debate as to whether or not this is necessary.

- fifteenth ... the other thing I did that may not be necessary. All my electrical connections I soldered and used good quality shrink wrap.

- Sweet sixteen ... enjoy your car and shred the rubber off those P-Zeros.

You will no doubt soon be wanting to put headers and a cat-back on your beast ... maybe a CAI, a blower Cam and a custom tune ... you will also want a short throw shifter like the MGW or MTI. Then of course come rear end gears and suspension upgrades ... etc ... etc ...

By putting a super charger on your pride and joy you have now opened a whole big can of delicious worms. Yum Yum ... eat 'm up. It is lunch time. Now go find yourself a Mustang for dessert ...

Peace,
Toast
Pfadt Engine Mounts and Diff Bushings
- 3.73 Gears - Line Lock - MGW Short Throw Shifter
ARH Headers with 3" catted X-Pipe - MagnaFlow 3" CatBack - RPM Level VI Transmission
Street Slayer Triple Clutch - NGK TR6 Spark Plugs - 160 degree thermostat - ADM Coil System
ADM Performance Custom Tune

toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #26
fastsspr

Drives: Red SS
Quote:
well you dont just throw on a supercharger... need to make make sure the engine can handle the extra boost. i mean when you add a supercharger you should be spending like 5 grand more on other things to help the engine with the extra boost... sure you can do it... but dont expect the engine to last long

With 5 to 7 PSI the factory motor play with it and last a lifetime !!!
fastsspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #27
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
Quote:
all i am saying is that i personally would never, add a supercharger and that being the only engine mod... sure the engine can handle it, but you are putting more stress on the car.. transmission, axles, etc.. sure its not going to break right away but it will not last as long as the stock setup...

i am not saying your going to blow a piston the next time you WOT..but over time just putting extra wear on the power train, when you could spend a little more and increase the engine life.

i mean your spending 7k, and your not even getting a dyno tune really?
Agreed..totally.... those posting here saying stick a Maggie in with all else stock...just not good advise. I don't know any "good" speed shop that would advise this. I don't agree with needing axles or transmissions but at least a good CAI, better exhaust (long tubes better) and tune is must have IMO.
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #28
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastsspr View Post
With 5 to 7 PSI the factory motor play with it and last a lifetime !!!
ok you can go run a 5 to 7 PSI... and i will take the 7 grand and get heads, CAI, Cam, cat back, tune, and everything else needed lets see what camaro is cooler, and runs better..
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote