Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #29
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I've been wondering about this for a few weeks now too. My Dad and his friends (huge car guys) basically said the same thing as above, "If it was neccessary, GM would have put them on from the factory.". Why would a car company want their own cars ingesting oil and not do anything to prevent it? A couple weeks back, I even e-mailed one of the vendors on here asking for an Honest to God's truth answer on this topic. To this day...NO RESPONSE. Everybody has their own opinion I suppose. When I installed my intake, I inspected the throttle body and there was NO oil at all. Over Christmas, my Dad and I will be installing a Roto-Fab Intake on his Z. We'll check the throttle body for oil and I'll report if I find anything.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #30
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
"If it was neccessary, GM would have put them on from the factory." We'll check the throttle body for oil and I'll report if I find anything.
Why would there be any oil on the throttle body? The PCV hose connects to the intake manifold AFTER the throttle body. Check your intake manifold instead.

And, let's see, are there any Camaros that come stock with a catch can...let's see...oh yes, there are.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #31
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
While i don't run one. They do have benefits. GM doesn't put one on however that is why during maintenance schedules they suggest their TB cleaning service.

Are they snake oil? No they aren't. Is it NEEDED? No they aren't. The vast majority will sell or trade in the car WAY before any slight issue might ever be seen. The LS3 & LLT have been around for a long time now without an influx of issues from not running a can.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #32
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria View Post
Why would there be any oil on the throttle body? The PCV hose connects to the intake manifold AFTER the throttle body. Check your intake manifold instead.

And, let's see, are there any Camaros that come stock with a catch can...let's see...oh yes, there are.

John B.

From running over oiled intake filters

And from having oil in the manifold.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
The V6 is one of the most technologically advanced engines Chevy has ever built, it's really a marvel.
Direct injection puts the fuel injectors right in the cylinder itself giving unbelievably fine control over fuel delivery.
The V8 is still "old" technology injecting fuel into the airstream that feeds the cylinder. Much less control, but still effective....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Read these threads.....and yes, those not realizing what oil ingestion does can run their car for years and not be aware of the gradual degradation. And no, GM/Ford?Chrusler, etc. probably never will add the expense and another service procedure but the super cars (Maserati, Ferrari, etc.) as well as the Copo all have catchcans as it is performance and longevity for the goal.

Tons of real data, industry info, and automotive engineer data to read on the issues. If nothing else, the small cost for a GOOD functioning one....(most let as much through as they trap) the fuel savings alone pays for the can many times over (detonation from ANY oil ingestion no matter what type fuel delivery causes detonation and the knock sensors command the PCM to pull timing, thus less power is produced and less fuel economy) much less the long term effects. I have been buiulding and rebuilding race & performance engines as well as passenger cars for over 38 years.....if you saw the insides like I and many others do, you would never question the need to separate the oil before it is ingested.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216311

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68744
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #35
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
So...........

With all this chatter what is the verdit?

I just bought a 2013 2LT RS V6 and she has only little over 2K miles on her...should I purchase one of these catch cans? I do plan on owning the car for a long time. I think these V6 motors are awesome. The perfect blend of sporty HP and MPG on the market today.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #36
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
So...........

With all this chatter what is the verdit?
You will never have a verdit, either for or against.
All you will ever get are "opinions" of what someone else has "read someone".

People will post up links to threads all day, both for and against.
But once again, those are just forum opinions.

The COPO Camaro has one, because it is a "Race Car" with a race built engine.
Plus it does not have to meet federal emission laws.

The average Camaro running around on the street probably does not need one, and will happily survive to over 150,000 miles with proper maintenance.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #37
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Read these threads.....and yes, those not realizing what oil ingestion does can run their car for years and not be aware of the gradual degradation. And no, GM/Ford?Chrusler, etc. probably never will add the expense and another service procedure but the super cars (Maserati, Ferrari, etc.) as well as the Copo all have catchcans as it is performance and longevity for the goal.

Tons of real data, industry info, and automotive engineer data to read on the issues. If nothing else, the small cost for a GOOD functioning one....(most let as much through as they trap) the fuel savings alone pays for the can many times over (detonation from ANY oil ingestion no matter what type fuel delivery causes detonation and the knock sensors command the PCM to pull timing, thus less power is produced and less fuel economy) much less the long term effects. I have been buiulding and rebuilding race & performance engines as well as passenger cars for over 38 years.....if you saw the insides like I and many others do, you would never question the need to separate the oil before it is ingested.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216311

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68744
I'm not arguing in any way, shape or form, but when you're buying a $40k car...GM adding a $125 catch can at the factory would be a drop in the bucket.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #38
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Quote:
GM adding a $125 catch can at the factory would be a drop in the bucket.
Well, they didn't. Question is, will you? Personally, i don't care, I just end up posting after reading so many 'my friend's dad who knows a LOT about engines...' statements.

John B.
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #39
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
I'm not arguing in any way, shape or form, but when you're buying a $40k car...GM adding a $125 catch can at the factory would be a drop in the bucket.
If GM had included a $125 catch can on every 5th Gen Camaros built through the end of the 2011 calender year is would have cost them just over $29 million just for the part alone.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #40
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I live in Cali.

Will this effect EPA/Smog requirments? I have no idea how to install one but it seems the general idea here is that it dosent hurt and I think everyone agrees that keeping the oil out would be good in the long term..

I own a 92 Camaro and did all the mech work on it myself. I've yet to mess with my new ride but can someone tell me how difficult/easy it is to install one of these catch cans? I imagine I'll need to remove it if I ever need to do a warrenty claim?

Thx
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #41
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Catch cans, type of oil to use, how often to change oil, seafoam is great/it sucks etc. - there will never be 100% agreement. Absorb the info & decide the best route for yourself.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #42
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
Quote:

True but the average driver is too dumb and lazy to empty it.
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote