Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-09-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
TXST_GILLEY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Rotor/Brake grinding noise after dealer serviced...

Traded in my truck for a 2011 2SS convertible last week and the very next day the brakes started squealing. Dealer was finally able to look at it today and turned the rotors/replaced front pads.

First thing I noticed is the tech pulling the car off to the side after test driving it. Should be good after 9 hours in their possession, right? Wrong.

Now I have a grinding noise coming from the front end. Doesn't matter if the wheels are turned or perfectly straight, and it is definitely only happening when the cars in motion(very noticeable at low speed). Additionally, there is now a TON of brake dust on all 4 wheels that were cleaned 2 days ago.

Now my question to y'all(and sorry for the novel above): What information can I arm myself with before he calls me tomorrow to discuss the plan for servicing the grinding noise next week? And is it even safe to drive like this?!

I need a game-plan so he doesn't screw me over on some old TSB's that weren't addressed with the original owner. Any input would be appreciated!
TXST_GILLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Squealing and a lot of brake dust is actually normal on these cars. The Camaro uses a metallic performance pad and all performance pads squeal. A temporary solution is to bed the brakes and it needs to be done again every 6-9 months. There are a lot of different ways to do it but they all basically are the same. Here's the one I use. Do this before you do anything else because this is most likely fix your issue.

Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #3
TXST_GILLEY

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Thanks for the info! It helped cut down on the squealing, but there's still a subtle grinding coming from the front-end. Not a constant grinding though. Sounds like the brake hardware is barely touching the rotor for about 1/4 of every wheel rotation. Are the rotors on these cars known to warp?
TXST_GILLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST_GILLEY View Post
Thanks for the info! It helped cut down on the squealing, but there's still a subtle grinding coming from the front-end. Not a constant grinding though. Sounds like the brake hardware is barely touching the rotor for about 1/4 of every wheel rotation. Are the rotors on these cars known to warp?
No, that shouldn't be happening. Squeaking when braking, yes, grinding and runout, no.

You need a do-over.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Exgie

Drives: Porsche 964
Sounds like they just rebedded the brakes in, which is what I would have done after inspecting the brakes. It is not all that uncommon to get squeaks for all kinds of reasons including how the driver brakes. Light vs hard brakers. Type of pads, rotors. Maybe whoever bed them in over did it?

I donno if it safe or not, depends on the grinding noise. If it is metal on metal that is not safe. If it just something rubbing on the disc like a dust shield that is ok for a few days until it gets looked at.

Something happened that someone is not saying.

They do need to be looked at though.
Exgie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes calipers rotor 2ss