Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #29
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE View Post
"Myth:You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to a synthetic oil like Mobil 1.Reality:

You can start using Mobil 1 in new vehicles at any time, even in brand new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:
  • Acura RDX
  • Aston Martin
  • All Bentley Vehicles
  • All Cadillac Vehicles
  • Chevrolet Corvette C6 and Z06
  • Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS
  • Chrysler 300C SRT-8
  • Cobalt SS S/C Coupe
  • Dodge Caliber SRT-4, Charger SRT-8, and Magnum SRT-8
  • Jeep Cherokee SRT-8
  • Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles
  • Mercedes SLR
  • Mitsubishi Evolution
  • Pontiac Solstice GXP
  • All Porsche Vehicles
  • Saturn Ion Red Line and Saturn Sky Red Line
  • Viper SRT-10
One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor. Watch our answer to this myth."

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ics/Myths.aspx

When they update the above list certainly it will include the Camaro...
Alot of new engines come with synthetic oil from the factory these days.
I think the myth started because people think that the synthetic will lubricate so well the rings won't properly seat.
I could be wrong but I don't think synthetic lubricates or reduces friction THAT much better than conventional oils,the beauty of synthetic is more in the fact that it doesn't break down and shear as quickly as conventional dino oil. So it does lubricate alot better compared to dino oil after some miles are on the oil...but not significanlty better when both are fresh.
Camaros come from the factory with Mobil 1 in them. I don't know why anyone would consider changing to dino oil.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #30
markgoodson

Drives: 2010 2 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
How many miles on your car ? You have to give your computer a little time to learn. If you pull the fuses, I would think it wouldn't run at its best at first.

Mine is an L99. Are you running 93 octane? These cars can break em lose at any speed below 20.

If you can't break the tires lose from a dead stop something is wrong.
You should be a little scared of the car or scared you can get into trouble with it.

Even if you are rolling at 10 mph and you step on it with the traction control on you should feel the car go a little sideways for about 50 feet.
I have 1700 miles on it now and yes, I run 93 octane in it.
markgoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #31
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #32
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Just for the record,
I changed my oil at 1004 miles.
I did not keep it under the 4000 rpm, That is a very hard task, Kind of like telling a crack head not to inhale. Ain't gonna happin.
I have not done burn outs, or really drove super hard. I have gone sideways a few times "INTENTIONALLY" Wet roads not included, as it breaks loose easily when wet. (reminds me of a past girl friend but, that is another story) .

I have gotten on it from red lights and toyed with an Evo and a few stangs, challys and chargers. Thus far the Evo was the only real challenge.

It has only had 93 octane in it since I began to fill it up. Unsure of what the dealer put in it.

I have not timed any "runs". So having times to compare is not available.

I took all the long ways to work and took an extra drive at lunch today to put some extra miles on it. I'm currently at 1494 as of parking tonight. Let the saga begin tomorrow.
Well, No noteable difference today. I left TC in normal mode, I got on it a little harder that I have in the past, but didn't notice anything or feel any difference. The mileage is 1533 as of now. I did get a little squirrely when I jumped on it in first, held it straight, got rubber from 1>2 and 2>3, into 4th and busted 100 mph. Felt like normal. Couldn't play anymore as when I got on the major hwy had a State boy at the light and was behind me all the way to work. He was staying 3 cars behind and would not go around me, I even slowed down to 45 (55 zone) for a couple of miles. Figures, I never see any normally, why today????? Comming home there were too many cars around to try anything safely so I just chalked it up to a busted day and tooled home in the traffic.

Part two tomorow if all goes well.

Semper Fi Camaro
Old 03-08-2010, 09:20 PM   #33
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
This is "Puberty" for the Camaro. Starts out good, goes through some changes, and BAM. Even better.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #34
Maro99

Drives: Heel toe express..
I assume my car came with low octane gas but ever since I have been using 93, I have a M6 and have heard that the fuse pull is only for the A6's.. Is there something I should be doing to mine to get the same effect as the fuse pull for the auto transmission cars?
Maro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM   #35
SSinthedesert

Drives: 2010 Imperial Blue SS
You can try the battery disconnect for the M6. I've heard that a few times, but not sure why one is for M6 and the other for the A6
SSinthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:44 PM   #36
orange_5thgen

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS BadAss 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgoodson View Post
Everyone talks about getting sideways with/without TC and all, but I cannot break loose even with everything off. I drive a L99 A, have done the fuse pull and that got it from 0-60 @6.1 to 5.5 after the pull. What gives?
Same here. I have a 2SS M6 and I do not have any problems with it breaking loose etc.... I did the fuse pull waaaaay back when that thread first came out. Just thought I'd try it to see if there was any change.

I mean the car is a definitely fast and all, but I don't see how you all are breaking the tires loose just coming off a normal start. Unless the pavement is a little wet or icy. Then I can see it breaking loose a lot.

Maybe I just don't know how to drive the car, but I have to really try to make the tires squeal etc....

Really makes me wonder. I might try a fuse pull again to see if I notice anything. I have a little over 5000 miles on it now.

I tried to be nice to it when I first got it, but it was hard and I really was not nice. Not sure if I kept it under 4000 RPM or not. Like I said, it was hard.

Makes me really wonder if I am missing a lot of power or something.
orange_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:38 AM   #37
orange_5thgen

I can get it sideways if I try to get it sideways. Just don't see how you all are getting it that way without even trying.

Damn. Its gonna bug me now.

I mean if you all are puttin it to the floor every time you take off then I can understand.

How are you all getting off from a start? Does this happen just when you take off normally from a light or something?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #38
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange_5thgen View Post
I can get it sideways if I try to get it sideways. Just don't see how you all are getting it that way without even trying.

Damn. Its gonna bug me now.

I mean if you all are puttin it to the floor every time you take off then I can understand.

How are you all getting off from a start? Does this happen just when you take off normally from a light or something?
Can't really compare the M6 with the A6. Not apples to apples. Your car is running normal. I have the same experience as you. If you want to get sideways disable traction control.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #39
orange_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Can't really compare the M6 with the A6. Not apples to apples. Your car is running normal. I have the same experience as you. If you want to get sideways disable traction control.
Ok, thanks for the reply. When I start reading stuff about people being unable to control it at take off or it burping the tires every time someone takes off, it starts to make me wonder about my car.

I'll just shut up and be happy.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #40
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Part 3 of the saga, I still don't feel anything drastically different from before. There are a few hills on my commute to work/home. lately the car seems to climb them better than before. As they are long streches I use the cruise control fairly often. thus I can judge the sound of the strain as it climbs. Also, I have done it without the Cruise and I notice that I do not need to press the gas as much as before to maintain speed. The power seem to come on quicker and feels a bit stronger.

Here are the things that seem different to me:

The power band seems to kick in a little earlier than before. Prior to 1500 miles I could really feel the pull begin around 2000 rpm. Now it seems like 1500 rpm and it is really beginning to pull stronger earlier than before.

The throttle response seems to be slightly snappier or more responsive, kind of like the difference between a roll-in to WOT and instant WOT. My thoughts here could be the programming in the electronic throttle changed. The only reason I noticed this is before when I would apply the gas from a stop and ease out the clutch it would rollout nice and smooth. Now several times it seems to rev up more and almost jump off from a dead stop. On several occasions I started to get that "bunny hop jerking motion" because I was releasing (slipping) the clutch and adjusting the gas to settle it down some, which only made it hop worse. Almost like I didn't know how to drive a manual. (which I do). I had to readjust my timing for taking off from stops. Now I use 2nd most of the time and it moves out nicely. Smooth and no jerking, power is right there and a great pull feeling. On hills I use 1st, but I need to really keep the rpms down until the clutch is fully engaged, around 1000, which is just barely touching the gas pedel.

Now on the other hand, when playing around and really trying to launch hard, simply press the gas, release the clutch, (oh hang on first) because here comes the ride. Oh YEA baby....
Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #41
RozzyBoy117

Drives: White 2SS/RS Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
I wonder if they have it programmed not to give the max until over 1500 miles or something ??? Has anyone else experienced more power after 1500 or 1700 miles ??
at like 1550 or so i hit into it, and holy shit it was ****in awesome.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #42
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Mine woke up around 2k. And every 500 to 1000 miles it seems a little more loose. I've had the car since 9/25/09 and 5680 on the odometer now. What a beast.