Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Are you thinking of uing the rear SS four pots with your OE fronts?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
azw131
Team LLT

Drives: 2012 WRX (Stage 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Are you thinking of uing the rear SS four pots with your OE fronts?
Yes, that was the plan. At least temporarily. I just looked into this and see that this can cause some problems as well with rear brake lock-up. I know there are other members running rear brembos with the v6 fronts though.

Mods: Bolt On's and Such, Some Cosmetic Stuff Too

Last edited by azw131; 09-19-2013 at 01:00 AM.
azw131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #17
JusticePete

The good and bad of the internet is at work. The good is you know there are clearance issues with V6 rears and OEM Z bars. The bad is that some V6 owners are playing Russian Roulette with stock calipers up front and SS 4 pots on the rear. It is a dangerous setup. Just like Russian Roulette, if you play long enough they will lose.

I understand you are working within a budget. Find a 1LE 27mm front bar, FE4 or higher RLCAs and drop links from pick a part or other budget friendly sources and orders a Pedders rear bar. You'll have the best bar set ratio on a budget friendly price.

You'll need the 12mm stud front links from the Z or 1 too.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #18
azw131
Team LLT

Drives: 2012 WRX (Stage 2)
This may have been an option a little while ago, but I just purchased the rear brembos. Im really okay with it though. My car is already away for the season, and Im sure come spring time, I'll be able to find a front set of brembos to match the rear ones I just bought. I guess if I'm doing it, I'm going to do the whole thing now. At least when I'll know the suspension and brakes are top notch.

Mods: Bolt On's and Such, Some Cosmetic Stuff Too
azw131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Absolutely! The 1LE or ZL1 sway bars would be a HUGE improvement over the stock V6 bars, but I wouldn't even attempt it until swapping out the brakes. Ultimately, even the 1LE and ZL1 can benefit from sway bar upgrades as well, just not as dramatic as going from V6 sways.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
well my question was more about it being worth it in upgrading to the FE4 as opposed to upgrading what he currently has with say BMR sways and end links.

is the FE4/ZL1 setup better than aftermarket setups?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #20
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
well my question was more about it being worth it in upgrading to the FE4 as opposed to upgrading what he currently has with say BMR sways and end links.

is the FE4/ZL1 setup better than aftermarket setups?
The Pedders / Lingenfelter L/28 is the fastest full street car on an autocross or road course in North America. In the OPTIMA Ultimate Street Car Series there are quite a few companies backing 5th Gen Camaros. One car is stripped down to body in white with a full cage, custom full race ABS braking system, full race dash, light weight glass and lex for windows... race car. None of them have beaten the L/28. NONE.

So when people ask what the benchmark for 5th Gen suspension is the answer is Pedders. The new Z/28 runs on 305/30/19s the same tires Pedders USA ran on our Camaro back in 2009 when the 'other' companies were laughing at the square wheel and tire setup. In 2010 Pedders upgraded to ZL1 six pot brakes, before the ZL1 existed. With the release of the 1LE, which uses the same size front and rear tires, the Camaro TEAM installed a solid front 27mm sway bar, just like the front sway bar we have been making since 2009. At Camaro5FEST check the list of winners it read Pedders, Pedders, Pedders....

We have to give Jordan from JDP props for making the trip from Utah to Indy and driving the wheels off his shop car His Pfadt setup is damn good, but he might of beat the L/28 is he was on Pedders

The Pedders 27mm adjustable front bar and 32mm rear bar are the gold standard for 5th Gen sway bars. The 1LE and ZL1 bars are a distant second.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #21
Denis

well my question is more like this....

while pricing up sway bar and endlink packages, is it worth upgrading to the FE4 style bars with the rear lower control arms? or will an FE3 setup be fine?

like will a 2010 Camaro with FE3 Pedders sway bars and endlinks be out performed by a 2010 Camaro that was switched to an FE4 with Pedders sway bars and endlinks?
Old 09-23-2013, 01:36 PM   #22
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
well my question is more like this....

while pricing up sway bar and endlink packages, is it worth upgrading to the FE4 style bars with the rear lower control arms? or will an FE3 setup be fine?

like will a 2010 Camaro with FE3 Pedders sway bars and endlinks be out performed by a 2010 Camaro that was switched to an FE4 with Pedders sway bars and endlinks?
We'll start with OEM part to explain this.

The front OEM sway bar connects to the front strut relatively close to the wheel making it a reasonably efficient design.

The old style inboard mount rear FE3 bar mounts well inboard on the LRCA a good distance from the wheel it is attempting to control making it inefficient. The Camaro TEAM moved the mounting points of the FE4 and on sway bar to the outer edge of the RLCA making it significantly more efficient. While the ZL1 MRC system go all the 'headlines' the rear sway bar change in location and diameter was doing the heavy lifting.

Pedders FE3 32mm bar was the gold standard and performs very much like the OEM 28mm Z bar. Pedders Z style FE4/5/6 32mm bar outperforms the OEM Z style 28mm and old style Pedders 32mm bar. How much better? We sell a 1LE Permagrin kit with EP1200HD sub-frame bushes, EP6577 radius bushes and 32mm Z style rear bar with a money back guarantee.

Short answer, Go Pedders Z style 32mm bar , upgrade the RLCAs and dropliknks.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #23
Denis

thanks for the info...im actually reading all the Suspension Tech Talk you guys have on the Pedders site right now.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #25
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Pete, I am planning on doing the FE4 upgrade shortly! Right now I have BMR hollow FE3 bars front and rear with stock endlinks on my 2010 SS. My question is, if I do the rear FE4 upgrade do you think I could get away with keeping my BMR front bar and just upgrade the front endlinks with Pedders links? I really hate to have to replace that front bar, it's a real PITA! lol!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #26
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Pete, I am planning on doing the FE4 upgrade shortly! Right now I have BMR hollow FE3 bars front and rear with stock endlinks on my 2010 SS. My question is, if I do the rear FE4 upgrade do you think I could get away with keeping my BMR front bar and just upgrade the front endlinks with Pedders links? I really hate to have to replace that front bar, it's a real PITA! lol!
What is the front bar Outer Diameter?
Old 09-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #28
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
What is the front bar Outer Diameter?
27mm

Edit: correction, it is 29mm

Last edited by ssmike; 09-23-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Correction