Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Kwik

Drives: car
MSD coils question

Hi: Can someone who is running MSD coils please confirm the P/N for me? I believe I need P/N 82478. but want to double check prior to ordering. They are for a 2010 Camaro SS with the LS3. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
BlackM6RS/SS

Drives: 2010 Black M6 RS/2SS
Thats what I found it to be LS2/LS3/LS7.

MSD P/N 82478 - LS2/LS3/LS7 Ignition Coils set of 8
BlackM6RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Do those really do anything?
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
more power bigger spark
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #5
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Aint these coils running like some big dollars ??? What are the prices on the MSD coils??
Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
more power bigger spark
Not going to add anything for power. Unless you just want red coils, they are a total waste of money.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Rage
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO... FTW!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Cyber Grey
Sorry for the ignorace...Red coils?
CAI inc. cold air intake, LG G6x3 cam, Patriot Gold Extreme Dual springs, Titanium retainers and locks, LG SuperPro 1 7/8 Long Tube headers with full 3" exhaust, DynoMax VT mufflers, SLP 4" tips, Moroso catch can, Race Ready electronic exhaust cut outs, Full painted Razzi body kit, Headlight Armor Smoke taillight and marker blackouts, T-Rex aluminum upper and lower grille, Polished aluminum front and rear bowties. Professionally installed and Dyno Tuned by HorsePower Sales, Pompano Beach FL.
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
Kwik

Drives: car
So you haven't put anything on your Fords that doesn't add HP? Personally I like a good looking car that runs well. I have used MSD products on several cars in the past. They make quality godies. The coils give a good multi spark and look bitchin'. Thanks to all for your input.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
So you haven't put anything on your Fords that doesn't add HP? Personally I like a good looking car that runs well. I have used MSD products on several cars in the past. They make quality godies. The coils give a good multi spark and look bitchin'. Thanks to all for your input.
Back "in the day" I ran the MSD black box (it was actually red) on my Cosworth Vega and 73 Corvette. The MSD box made it so I could run colder plugs that were better at high RPM, while not fouling at idle and lower RPM's--which both cars did before I added the MSD box. If I ran hotter plugs the idle and low RPM were good, but they misfired at high RPM. So while the MSD box may not have added any horsepower, they did allow the engines to develop their max output over a broader RPM range. Of course the LT-1 was pretty low-tech compared to the LS3, but it still was a hell of a ride. I still have a hard time thinking the all-aluminum Cosworth Vega engine with DOHC and 16 valves is/was low-tech, but even compared to the Cobalt Eco-Tech engine it is (in 1975 it was pretty high-tech though).

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwik View Post
I would recommend doing a search here for MSD coils. You will find several others stating the same thing I did.

Second, if you think they are worth more power, dyno your car before and after on the same day you swap them for the stock coils. Post your results. You will need to make at least 3 runs with the stock and 3 with the new coils and take the average of the pulls. I would be shocked if it was >1HP difference.

If you are going for looks that is fine. If you are expecting gains it is a waste of money. I would funnel it into better traction, CAI, tune, weight reduction, etc...

Just realized you had this listed in your mods:
FAST 102mm LSXR intake manifold with FAST fuel rails

Another mod that is good for almost nothing on a LS3. Close to if not $1K in parts not including install. If you are happy with these types of mods then more power to you. If you plan to go forced induction down the road then you may be on the right track. If you plan to stay N/A, so much more could be had with the money tied up in 7-8HP. Ported heads come to mind with a matching cam which I see is on your list.

This is just my observation and you can take it or leave it. Just hate to see good money go to waste.

Last edited by wbt; 08-22-2010 at 12:37 AM.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #11
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
If you are going for looks that is fine. If you are expecting gains it is a waste of money. I would funnel it into better traction, CAI, tune, weight reduction, etc...

I agree with this. I have seen several extreme builds, over 1000 flywheel HP, and ALL used the factory ignition coils and wires. This is much ancestor worship. However, if you are blown and using NOX then the cylinder pressures/temps could warrent the coils. How bout spending on a rear gear ratio change? More bang for the buck. Just my 2 cents.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
ProudLS

Drives: Camaro SS
how about spark plugs..!! Any idea about it??
2010 Black/Black SS RS M6, ARH headers, Hi-flow cats w/x-pipe, Fastlane CAI, Livernois Camshaft 2C, SLP 160 Stat, SLP underdrive pulley, Hurst, Eibach lower spring, BMR lower control arms, BMR toe rods, Razzi body kit and Borla axle back. Tuned by me HPT.
ProudLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:46 PM   #13
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Factory plugs are great, until you go forced induction or NOX. Then you need to drop down a full heat range cooler for the added pressures.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
The stock LS3 coil can power 1200rwhp easilly.Paint them red and save the $$.

MSD sales pitch is more power but I have yet to see 1hp gained by ussing them.Only thing we have seen is alot of bad coils from them.

I would keep the stockers.
Slowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote