Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Question ZL1 WINTER TESTING TIRES

What tires did they use when they tested the ZL1 at various tracks and proving grounds when the weather was cold? They couldn't have been summer tires, and I'm not sure anyone makes winter tires that would fit out back.

Discuss
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
rjansen

Drives: '72 GTO, '94 Cadillac, 2012 IOM ZL1
There are Pirelli tires that will fit the ZL1 available from Tire Rack, that I believe can be driven on in lower temps. I didn't compare. But these could be the same as the stock tires on the 2010-11 SS's. However, you'll give up some of the performance by switching. It is also stated that these are "Maximum Performance Summer" range tires, meaning that they are not designed to be driven in snow or on ice (Don't know of anyone dumb enough to do this!). No mention of not driving in temps lower than 40 degrees.

Sizes To Fit Your Vehicle

Click "View matching front and rear pairs". But sit down before you read the pricing!!
rjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjansen View Post
There are Pirelli tires that will fit the ZL1 available from Tire Rack, that I believe can be driven on in lower temps. I didn't compare. But these could be the same as the stock tires on the 2010-11 SS's. However, you'll give up some of the performance by switching. It is also stated that these are "Maximum Performance Summer" range tires, meaning that they are not designed to be driven in snow or on ice (Don't know of anyone dumb enough to do this!). No mention of not driving in temps lower than 40 degrees.

Sizes To Fit Your Vehicle

Click "View matching front and rear pairs". But sit down before you read the pricing!!
Those are the same tires that come on an SS, just sized to fit the ZL1
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
grimmace

Drives: 2012 ZL1
is there an option out there that isn't a max performance summer tire? I won't be driving in the snow but if the weather is good i'd like the option of taking it out....
grimmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
meb885

Drives: 13 CRT 2SS-1LE/06 Trailblazer
Can't remember if they were Pirelli Snow and Ice or P-Zero Neros on the CTF ZL1 i saw... Fairly sure Pirelli has a trailer and/or office on GM Tech Center Grounds.... they probably manufactured something specifically for the fleet.
Planned Upgrades Soon:De-Chrome (Black outs),
TEAM LS3
2010 2LT VIN#165 Traded In, 2010 2SS VIN#42415 Traded In
meb885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
KKreme15

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb885 View Post
Can't remember if they were Pirelli Snow and Ice or P-Zero Neros on the CTF ZL1 i saw... Fairly sure Pirelli has a trailer and/or office on GM Tech Center Grounds.... they probably manufactured something specifically for the fleet.
So does GM just expect us to board our cars for the winter?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
there are no winter tires in 305's. I think people are reading more into this tire thing but maybe I am wrong.

I run my NT05's on my vette all year, I ran the PS2's before that all year, I ran the F1 supercar g1'a all year.

if these G2's are that bad I will just switch to ps2's.

I mean the grip level goes down but you just have to react to it.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
So does GM just expect us to board our cars for the winter?
Thats what most people do with high performance cars. Plus, most people that do use winter tires also use a set of winter wheels that are smaller, heavier, and narrower than their summer wheels. This helps them to get better traction in deep snow, and also protects their good rims against spring time potholes.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
gbosh

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
As far as how gm ran tests at cold temps it seems to me that the cars where stored in a heated area. After going on the track it would not be any problem keeping the tires warm! Going into many turns around the track would generate lots of heat in the tires due to friction of the road surface and also remember they also would be on the brakes many times and with lots of pressure on the rotors,this would also transfer to the tires so once they start turning corners the tires will stay hot.
gbosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Why does one have to stress about the Winter tires for the ZL1 so much? In my opinion, the Winter tires should have been included in the ordering process as a free stock option. We are spending over 50k for a vehicle that only is supported with summer tires and when the winter time rolls around we are screwed. We have to spend a good thousand more for tires that will only be used for 3 months at tops.

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
Why does one have to stress about the Winter tires for the ZL1 so much? In my opinion, the Winter tires should have been included in the ordering process as a free stock option. We are spending over 50k for a vehicle that only is supported with summer tires and when the winter time rolls around we are screwed. We have to spend a good thousand more for tires that will only be used for 3 months at tops.
I imagine its because there is a good chance that less than 1% of ZL1 buyers will ever plan on driving their car in cold, snowy, salty, winter conditions. Thats what their truck and/or beater is for.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:57 PM   #12
whistle pig

Drives: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I imagine its because there is a good chance that less than 1% of ZL1 buyers will ever plan on driving their car in cold, snowy, salty, winter conditions. Thats what their truck and/or beater is for.

The harder you push the level of performance the less room there is for "dual" purpose anything.

I doubt anyone would be happy with winter tires that didnt hook up very well in the summer.
whistle pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #13
EvilZL1
Snake Eater

Drives: 2012 AGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
It seems like we are not going to get the vehicle as early as we want it and as soon as we receive the ZL1 we will need to save up for winter tires. We spend 60k during the summer only to spend another 1-2k on tires

Make sure you don’t forget to subscribe to my channel! More content on the way. Like, share with your friends
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9Z...sP2wjsLLFeP1zQ

Follow me on instagram:
http://www.instagram.com/snkeatr/
EvilZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #14
KKreme15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSylentZL1 View Post
It seems like we are not going to get the vehicle as early as we want it and as soon as we receive the ZL1 we will need to save up for winter tires. We spend 60k during the summer only to spend another 1-2k on tires
and probably wheels, too.

I don't want to have to ride around on aftermarket wheels just because it's 32 degrees outside :\