Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 08-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
SLY5ACE

Drives: 2013 camaro ss 1le supercharged
stillen ap racing kit vs essex ap racing kit

i would like to know the differences between stillen ap racing kit vs essex ap racing kit besides price which is a huge difference i was told stillen is street and essex is track which tells me nothing if the calipers are exactly the same then whats the difference? thanks everyone
SLY5ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
SLY5ACE

Drives: 2013 camaro ss 1le supercharged
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP LOL
SLY5ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:04 PM   #3
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLY5ACE View Post
i would like to know the differences between stillen ap racing kit vs essex ap racing kit besides price which is a huge difference i was told stillen is street and essex is track which tells me nothing if the calipers are exactly the same then whats the difference? thanks everyone
If you go to AP Racing's website you can view the features listing on each caliper type.

Here is the Stillen AP Racing CP8522 6-Piston Caliper specs:
https://www.apracing.com/product_det...ston_area.aspx

Here is the Essex Parts AP Racing CP9668 Caliper specs:
https://www.apracing.com/product_det...thick_pad.aspx

Differences that I note from the descriptions:

Pistons:
Stillen CP8522 has Aluminum alloy pistons
Essex CP9668 has Stainless Steel pistons (stainless is better because it transfers much less heat into your brake fluid)

Seals:
Stillen CP8522 has standard seals with dust boots
Essex CP9668 has high temperature racing seals only (no dust boots)

Rotor Options:
Stillen CP8522 is compatible with Ø410mm or Ø380mm x 36mm thick discs (only 2 options of rotors to run)
Essex CP9668 is compatible with Ø390mm max to Ø362mm min x 36mm thick max - 32mm thick min rotors (i.e. there will be more rotor options if you want)

Finish:
Stillen CP8522 has red or black paint (can turn colors when exposed to heat and be attacked by brake fluid even though they say it can't be. Brake fluid is nasty stuff for anything painted)
Essex CP9668 has hard anodized finish (will not turn colors nearly as easy as paint and if/when it does will not change as drastically. Also much more resistant to brake fluid damage)

Brake Pipes:
Stillen CP8522 has external exposed cross over pipes (more susceptible to damage from rocks, debris etc...)
Essex CP9668 has no exposed or external cross over pipes (no risk of damage to brake fluid system on caliper).

Bare Caliper Weight (reducing unsprung weight is always a plus):
Stillen CP8522: 4.65 kg (10.25 lb)
Essex CP9668: 3.1 kg (6.83 lb)

Anti-knockback Springs:
Stillen CP8522: Has no anti-knockback springs
Essex CP9668: Has 7lb anti-knockback springs

Pad Hardware:
Stillen CP8522 has pad anti-rattle clips an no wear plates listed. This means as the pads vibrate in the caliper they will eventually wear the caliper shoulder stops causing the pads to become looser and move around more. Then the entire caliper has to be replaced.
Essex CP9668 has stainless steel wear plates so you just replace the wear plates as they become worn and your caliper is not affected.

Disc Burnishing Service:
Stillen CP8522: I am not sure if Stillen offers a pre-burnishing service on the rotors they sell or not.
Essex CP9668: For a nominal fee you can have Essex pre-burnish your rotors for you with the pad compound family you intend to use so your rotors are ready to use right out of the box.

Rebuild Service:
Stillen CP8522: I am not sure if Stillen offers a rebuild service for their calipers or not.
Essex CP9668: Essex offers a complete tear down and rebuild service for your calipers where they will inspect and replace any parts needed for $80 + cost of parts. So every year or two you can send your caliper in and have it refreshed to be good as new.

So for $1250 more for the Essex CP9668 calipers you are getting a more race car oriented brake caliper that will last longer in a racing environment. The Stillen CP8522 caliper is more like a beefed up OEM street brake caliper. If you go to Essex's website they have some very informative video's on there to explain the differences between their calipers and standard street calipers. Their FAQ section also has a lot of good questions and answers to review.

Follow this link and read over the FAQ tab part way down the page:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...2mm-gen5camaro

Good luck with your choice! For me it was easy. Essex is the way to go for worry free brakes to use on track. Maybe the Stillen would meet your needs but I guess only you can decide that.

Last edited by Nick S; 08-07-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
I track my Stillen AP Racing ... they work very well

I run Carbotch 1520s on the street and XP24/12 at the track

Also, when I bought them they were 20% off ... so 5k for front and rears

Last edited by Crash76; 08-07-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:22 PM   #5
silverbullet415

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
If you go to AP Racing's website you can view the features listing on each caliper type.

Here is the Stillen AP Racing CP8522 6-Piston Caliper specs:
https://www.apracing.com/product_det...ston_area.aspx

Here is the Essex Parts AP Racing CP9668 Caliper specs:
https://www.apracing.com/product_det...thick_pad.aspx

Differences that I note from the descriptions:

Pistons:
Stillen CP8522 has Aluminum alloy pistons
Essex CP9668 has Stainless Steel pistons (stainless is better because it transfers much less heat into your brake fluid)

Seals:
Stillen CP8522 has standard seals with dust boots
Essex CP9668 has high temperature racing seals only (no dust boots)

Rotor Options:
Stillen CP8522 is compatible with Ø410mm or Ø380mm x 36mm thick discs (only 2 options of rotors to run)
Essex CP9668 is compatible with Ø390mm max to Ø362mm min x 36mm thick max - 32mm thick min rotors (i.e. there will be more rotor options if you want)

Finish:
Stillen CP8522 has red or black paint (can turn colors when exposed to heat and be attacked by brake fluid even though they say it can't be. Brake fluid is nasty stuff for anything painted)
Essex CP9668 has hard anodized finish (will not turn colors nearly as easy as paint and if/when it does will not change as drastically. Also much more resistant to brake fluid damage)

Brake Pipes:
Stillen CP8522 has external exposed cross over pipes (more susceptible to damage from rocks, debris etc...)
Essex CP9668 has no exposed or external cross over pipes (no risk of damage to brake fluid system on caliper).

Bare Caliper Weight (reducing unsprung weight is always a plus):
Stillen CP8522: 4.65 kg (10.25 lb)
Essex CP9668: 3.1 kg (6.83 lb)

Anti-knockback Springs:
Stillen CP8522: Has no anti-knockback springs
Essex CP9668: Has 7lb anti-knockback springs

Pad Hardware:
Stillen CP8522 has pad anti-rattle clips an no wear plates listed. This means as the pads vibrate in the caliper they will eventually wear the caliper shoulder stops causing the pads to become looser and move around more. Then the entire caliper has to be replaced.
Essex CP9668 has stainless steel wear plates so you just replace the wear plates as they become worn and your caliper is not affected.

Disc Burnishing Service:
Stillen CP8522: I am not sure if Stillen offers a pre-burnishing service on the rotors they sell or not.
Essex CP9668: For a nominal fee you can have Essex pre-burnish your rotors for you with the pad compound family you intend to use so your rotors are ready to use right out of the box.

Rebuild Service:
Stillen CP8522: I am not sure if Stillen offers a rebuild service for their calipers or not.
Essex CP9668: Essex offers a complete tear down and rebuild service for your calipers where they will inspect and replace any parts needed for $80 + cost of parts. So every year or two you can send your caliper in and have it refreshed to be good as new.

So for $1250 more for the Essex CP9668 calipers you are getting a more race car oriented brake caliper that will last longer in a racing environment. The Stillen CP8522 caliper is more like a beefed up OEM street brake caliper. If you go to Essex's website they have some very informative video's on there to explain the differences between their calipers and standard street calipers. Their FAQ section also has a lot of good questions and answers to review.

Follow this link and read over the FAQ tab part way down the page:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...2mm-gen5camaro

Good luck with your choice! For me it was easy. Essex is the way to go for worry free brakes to use on track. Maybe the Stillen would meet your needs but I guess only you can decide that.
Nailed it, I run Essex myself and love them.
silverbullet415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:48 PM   #6
Btrbimmer

Drives: 2SS 1LE Silver w/Recaro NPP
What about less expensive options from Wilwood or StopTech?
Can anyone share first hand experience with either?

Thanks!

Btrbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote