Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #43
ex-SS-ve

My 2010 has been problem free for the 48000 miles i have owned it. Bought it new in may 2009. The only thing now is that the tpms sensors are getting weak from age and will need replacement.
ex-SS-ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 AM   #44
Fish-man

Drives: too many to say!
One very minor issue: leaky brake res. cap...nothing a little shim between the plastic and rubber parts of the cap didnt cure
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #45
Townending

Drives: Nissan Armada
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo View Post
Hey there that's old stomping ground, grew up in Colton and learned to ski up there... I love coming down the mountain with my hair on fire LOL...Ok so I'm a valley boy. You don't happen to know someone I was station with that's from there. You would remember this name. Lee Virgin.....drove an orange 70 Mustang in the 80s...
I wasn't even alive in the 80's, haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Cool, Guapo! Sorry.... Don't know any Lee Virgin... heck, I don't think I know ANY virgins!

Townending, living in Big Bear and driving a Nissan, be it Armada, Titan, Xterra, or Sentra: You're lucky you didn't get shot during the Dorner hunt! If two little Asian ladies delivering newspapers in a Toyota and a surfer dude on his way to find some tasty waves, bro, looked enough like a large black man with a chip on his shoulder for them to open fire, well, driving a Nissan would have put you in the crosshairs! More than one wise reason to switch to a Camaro!
Being up there during that event was pretty hectic. So much traffic....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
Premature rear tire wear.
What are we looking at? 20k miles for each set of tires?

What size are the front and rear tires btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Are you primarily interested in a Coupe or considering the convertible, as well?

Educate yourself regarding the little things that didn't come on the early 2010 and 2011 builds. Things such as no backup sensors on the early 2010 MY and no backup camera prior to 2012 models. 10's and 11's had darkened tail lights ONLY with the RS package, then became standard on 12+ model years. These really aren't issues but it helps to know what you might be missing if you don't read up on the "standard" and optional equipment available on the MY's you're interested in.

Some of the '10's and 11's have also had A/C problems - primarily blower motor issues, IIRC.

There have been numerous threads on the convertible forum regarding problems with the convertible tops ranging from rub marks developing in some cases into holes, broken 5th bows, air leaks, and water drainage / management bag leaks. Then there are the "fiascos" regarding poor repairs / replacement of tops. The later MY 12 and 13 builds appear to have received a better quality top and larger water drainage bags and appear to have fewer threads complaining of top problems, thus far.
I am defiantly looking for a 1SS or 2SS Coupe with the RS package. Backup sensros arent all that important to me. I just want the RS HID headlights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
I forgot to mention that, as you're buying used, you'd be well-advised to obtain a CarFax / history on any vehicle you're interested in - ESPECIALLY if you're buying from a private party or a non-GM dealer. You DON'T want to buy a lemon someone else has discarded.

I'm conservative and would therefore only consider GM Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) vehicles. They're guaranteed to be accident-free and not modded. They come with a year's worth of bumper to bumper warranty and 2 years on oil changes (I believe up to 2 or 4 / year) and tire rotations as well as several other things. You can read up on GM's Certified Pre-Owned program and coverages at this website - and you can do a search there as well for CPO Camaros. http://www.gmcertified.com/certified-advantage

In addition, you can also purchase a GM Protection Plan (GMPP). This is an optional warranty with varying levels of coverage, deductibles, duration and mileage. You can read about it here: http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/ourproducts.html

I realize it might be a bit overwhelming to read and research these if your'e not familiar with them but they might well be something you may want to opt for to protect your new Camaro, esp. if you're not a DIYer.

Good luck with your search and please let us know how your search goes and hit us up with any questions.
I would definitely prefer GM Cerified Pre-owned or carmax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
One very minor issue: leaky brake res. cap...nothing a little shim between the plastic and rubber parts of the cap didnt cure
Love them simple fixes!
Townending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #46
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Originally Posted by Rockhead
Premature rear tire wear.
What are we looking at? 20k miles for each set of tires?

What size are the front and rear tires btw?

It all depends how you drive with 426 HP and 420 lb/ft of torque burnouts are easy and beg to be done. I have 21000 km on my car and still some tread left in the center. Stock tires are Pirelli P-Zero Front 245/45-20 Rear 275/40-20

Just don't do the burnouts or even say burnout while on a public road
Old 01-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #47
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
Passenger seat latch is hard to unlatch -been to dealers for fix twice. Still a issue.

USB hook up to play MP3s - 4 trips and raising hell, finally fixed.

Lifter/tappet noise at start up -Intermittent. Doesn't seem to do it when dealer checks it. :-(

Paint chipping under and around spoiler mounting. Fixed.

2 tire air pressure transmitters, inside of tires. Fixed.

Won't hardly run with in the speed limit.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #48
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
No issues with mine. "palmer GA" why did you have to replace your mylink system?
jdsblueray2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #49
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
it wouldn't play music from USB drives as it should.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #50
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townending View Post
Glad to hear this.

What is a Lifter, and what does it do?
A lifter is an engine component that "lifts" the pushrod that hits the rocker and opens the valves. Here's an animation:

The lifter issues are only in the L99 (automatic) engines due to the different design for Active Fuel Management. Only issue with mine was a loud AC compressor when under load which was replaced under warranty.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #51
CamaroKevin

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS SIM
So far I've had my HUD kill out and need to be replaced, fan blower engine failed on the passenger side, dash board seal needed to be replaced due to being disturbed so many times with the HUD and fan blower, and check engine light come on for one of the valves sticking. Under 23K on an 11' 2LT....hate taking it in for all the little things, but still love the car!
CamaroKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 AM   #52
tom231

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
The biggest problem I've had with mine is that everybody wants to drive it.
tom231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #53
Wilsonation

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom231 View Post
The biggest problem I've had with mine is that everybody wants to drive it.

X2! Lol
10/28/13 TPW
11/2/13 Built and Bayed
11/7/13 Shipped
11/14/13 Brought home!
Wilsonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #54
Stevew
Stevew

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS and 2012 Corvette
2012 2SS, 27000 miles and no trouble yet.
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM   #55
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
After 4 1/2 years and 32,000 miles on my SS the only problem is my wife says
she can't put on her lipstick while the car is moving due to the harsh ride....
I think the problem may not be with the Camaro.
lol.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #56
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
Same here on my 2011 'vert. Had the cap replaced under warranty.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote