Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 02-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #15
Camarino
DrIvE iT LiKe Ya STOLE It

Drives: 2005 Mustang, '68 Camaro Z28
OH, that patent thing might make sense, i remember reading in an older issue of MOTORTREND in september about an 18 y.o. kid that was developing an on board torqe read out system.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/e...gue/index.html
Camarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
gm4life05sle

Drives: Torrent, Bonneville, Impala
I knew it was going to be a automated manual but never knew where the buttons would be, as I would go with a stick anyways. Good info tho, even if I knew some of it already.

2007 Pontiac Torrent FWD
2005 Chevrolet Impala LS
2005 Pontiac Bonneville SLE
2001 Chevrolet Impala Sedan
Coming someday... A 5th Gen Camaro SS
gm4life05sle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
It doesn't stand for Mach drive????

Old 02-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #18
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
"They've gone....to plaid!"
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
OOOh wow, lol just when i thought i knew everything about the new camaro.thnx guys so basically for gears 1-3 you shift up and down on the wheel ?
you havent been on here long enough to know everything about the new camaro

jk.

but basically, as already stated. you pop the stick to the "M" and from there you take control of the gears with the paddles.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
Rob490

Drives: NONE
its interesting how its so low key (the padles) unlike other cars
Rob490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #21
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm4life05sle View Post
I knew it was going to be a automated manual but never knew where the buttons would be, as I would go with a stick anyways. Good info tho, even if I knew some of it already.
Whoaaaa...Lets not confuse this with an automated manual. It is not. Do not mistake this transmission with the likes of the BMW SMG unit or the dual-clutch tranny in the new GT-R. Those are true dual-clutch transmissions which are manual gearboxes that have the clutch activation and de-activation computer controlled. The Camaro has a real automatic transmission with a Torque Converter as a clutch. The automated manuals you refer to have actual clutches and pressure plates. There is a HUGE difference.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 PM   #22
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
First great pictures - I can't wait to use my paddle shifters.

Question:
Will the car automatically upshift if the rpms move into redline with the car in M mode? How do the paddle shift work on similar cars (corvette, etc). I've heard that if you don't shift by a certain rpm (say redline), the car will automatically make the upshift. Is that true?

Or will the rpm hit the rev limiter and cause fuel cut off just as they would with the manual?
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #23
Camarino

yea good question, i'd also like 2 find out if you can go right from "M" to "D" like in a regular auto when you go from "3" to "D"

btw nice vette rmyers
Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Yea you can go back in D while at speed if that was your question. (Assuming it works like the tap shift on my old 2000 GTS celica).
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #25
Camarino

yea it was lol thnx, i'm still a little confused though because in a normal manual car if you have to brake on the highway for slower traffic you brake the car and then clutch and start down shifting how would that work with this situation? would you just start downshifting right away or throw it in D maybe? can you downshift at a high speed likethat ? because in a normal manual you know if you're in like 4th or 5th gear and you take your foot off the clutch too quick the RPM is so high that the car gets bogged down. or what about braking hard in an emergency?, i ask only because i'm REALLY new to the whole TAPSHIFT thing im used to either manual OR automatic lol ,

Last edited by Camarino; 02-16-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #26
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
First great pictures - I can't wait to use my paddle shifters.

Question:
Will the car automatically upshift if the rpms move into redline with the car in M mode? How do the paddle shift work on similar cars (corvette, etc). I've heard that if you don't shift by a certain rpm (say redline), the car will automatically make the upshift. Is that true?

Or will the rpm hit the rev limiter and cause fuel cut off just as they would with the manual?
They've said that the only thing that it will stop you from doing is down shifting into a gear that will cause you to be over the red line. If you're already in the gear, you should be able to go all the way up and hit the rev limiter. Also, if you come to a stop it will automatically downshift into first for you.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #27
Camarino

yea it was lol thnx, i'm still a little confused though because in a normal manual car if you have to brake on the highway for slower traffic you brake the car and then clutch and start down shifting how would that work with this situation? would you just start downshifting right away or throw it in D maybe? can you downshift at a high speed likethat ? because in a normal manual you know if you're in like 4th or 5th gear and you take your foot off the clutch too quick the RPM is so high that the car gets bogged down. or what about braking hard in an emergency?, i ask only because i'm REALLY new to the whole TAPSHIFT thing im used to either manual OR automatic lol ,
Old 02-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #28
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarino View Post
The important thing to remember is this is an automatic transmission. The TAPSHIFT buttons only provide a sportier way to drive and shift. The bottom line is it has a torque converter clutch, so it is just an automatic.

And thanks for the compliment on my car.

2012 ZL1 #213 M6 Black on Black
2013 ZL1 #2638 Convertible Auto
2010 Chevrolet Suburban
2011 GMC Seirra HD Denali
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic, interior, shifter, transmission