Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-21-2011, 01:34 AM   #1
CyberSS Guy

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS MT
SS/RS VS. Tesla Roadster electric

So, this is really an apples and pinapples comparision but what the 4ell!

So, my buddy in SF pings me and says that Tesla finally called him back about test driving the Tesla Roadster after almost 5 yrs. I'm all over it and tell him i'll drive the 200+ miles from Reno to do a test drive it with him. I really think he just wanted to roll up in my SS/RS since he recently turned in his M3 off his lease and didnt want to show up with nothing. Sat. Morn early over the Sierras got 27MPG w/new Solo high high flow cats pushing it a bit. Pick him up up at his place overlooking the SF bay/Bay Bridge and let him drive down to San Jose to get a feel for Cynthia. He's not shy.

We show up at Tesla and the sales guy says we are the last appt of the day, do we want the red or black convertible? Oh yah, the red! He gives us the run down on the car and say "Well it has 192 miles left on the battery, go have some fun." We drove it like we stole it! That car is rediculous off the line and 0 to 60! The best pull we had was .66 G's. It felt like a rollercoaster at Six Flags. Above 60 the pull was not nearly as strong. Instant torque but i really learned what a difference raw HP makes.

We also found a private lot to test traction and tight turn radius manuvers but the understeer was horrible. Rear traction is increadible because there is 1K lbs of batteries sitting on the rear axle but you can drive the car almost straight with the front wheels ****ed at full throttle.

All in all it is an amazing little electric car but there is no substitute for raw HP.
CyberSS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Goatcrapp

Drives: '11 black SS
I drove a tesla. torquey, no doubt... but it didn't feel nearly as nimble as the elise which it was based on.
Goatcrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
No surprise really. For whatever reason, they figured that the Roadster didn't need more than 1 gear. As a result, it has terrible top end performance.

The 0-60 on the Sport model is around 4 seconds, while the 1/4 is about 13s, with a trap of a bit more than 100 mph. The regular model is slower. Compare that against the Camaro that hits 60 in 4.7, with the 1/4 also done in about 13, but it traps at close to 110. So figure 9 seconds for 60-100 in the Tesla, and roughly 6.5 for the Camaro.

I really don't see what the big deal with the Tesla Roadster is. People can claim that its a fast electric car all they like, but take away that 'electric car' qualifier and its performance is pretty much entry level for the sports car world. Certainly not impressive for a car that costs as much as a ZR1.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #4
oldlugs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Bullitt + 2009 Shelby GT-500KR
I'm waiting for the day when fast electrics are all over the road. I've known for 30 years now, that the day will come. Before you all dismiss me for a troll, or call me nuts...

http://vimeo.com/user3753897/zombie-...ht-another-day

Yes, it's just a pretty much homebuilt, relatively low budget drag toy... But we really haven't seen what future batteries will be capable of. I still believe electrics are the future.
oldlugs is offline   Reply With Quote