Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebohan74 View Post
Love the new look - these springs are awesome!
Looks great. Congrats!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #16
dissitscesar

Drives: C63 AMG
Send a message via AIM to dissitscesar
Good choice! I love my 1.4'' drop all the way around.
Attached Images

dissitscesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #17
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebohan74 View Post
Love the new look - these springs are awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissitscesar View Post
Both of your guys Camaros look amazing!

If there is anything else we can help you guys out with let us know.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
Bobs of FL

Drives: 2010 2SS Black/IOM
Did you gents just buy the lowering springs or did you also buy any new shocks/struts? I'm looking into this as my first mod and i'm just trying to be as knowledgeable as I can be before I buy.
Bobs of FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #19
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs of FL View Post
Did you gents just buy the lowering springs or did you also buy any new shocks/struts? I'm looking into this as my first mod and i'm just trying to be as knowledgeable as I can be before I buy.
If you have over 40-50k miles, I'd suggest going ahead and getting new struts as your will be pretty close to the end of their life. If you have fairly low miles, then you are good to go with nothing more than springs.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #20
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
^ is that a normal interval for replacing struts? I thought stock suspension should last about 100k miles.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
Bobs of FL

Drives: 2010 2SS Black/IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacekPSUr1 View Post
^ is that a normal interval for replacing struts? I thought stock suspension should last about 100k miles.
I'd imagine, after a certain mileage, the struts are on their way out. With the additional stress from the lowering springs, it would probably only speed up the process. Pure speculation though.
Bobs of FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #22
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissitscesar View Post
That looks great. What wheels are those?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #23
JDP Sales

Quote:
I'd say about 50-70 thousand miles, but strut life varies with how the vehicle is driven, and the environment in which the vehicle is driven. If you live in an area with a lot of bad/rough roads, your struts will wear quicker. If you do nothing but highway driving on smooth roads the struts will last longer. So if you are close to that mileage, I'd suggest doing struts at the same time to save on labor of having to do it twice.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 09-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #24
JacekPSUr1
2013 1SS in IOM

Drives: 2013 1SS
^ thank you for your response Tyler. My guess is that aftermarket suspension, such as Pfadt springs and struts will last longer than stock setup, correct?
Old 09-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #25
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
^ thank you for your response Tyler. My guess is that aftermarket suspension, such as Pfadt springs and struts will last longer than stock setup, correct?
Right now there are no aftermarket options for struts/shocks for a late model Camaro but Koni is supposed to have something released before the end of the year which is a very good thing because up until then the only option available besides the factory struts/shocks are coil-overs. Struts/shocks that are designed to work with lowering springs will have a longer life span than the factory parts when lowering springs are used.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
JDP Sales

Quote:
Kyle is right on point with his post. The Koni stuff is going to be a great option once it's released. Until then, if you were going to replace with factory parts, I would suggest going with the 1LE struts.

The springs will last the life of the car no matter what brand you chose as long as they are a decent brand. It's the struts/dampers that have to be replaced as they are considered a wear item.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Old 09-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
Nestor5gen

Drives: Cyber gray 2011 LS
How low can I go??I have a 2011 v6 riding on 22" Meccas . My wheel size is 295/30/22 rear and 255/30/22 front wheels.. My ride is staggered front are 9" and rear 10.5" .. What would be the best drop to do with no rubbing? Could I do 1.4 front and 1" rear or could I go lower?
Attached Images

Nestor5gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #28
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs of FL View Post
I'd imagine, after a certain mileage, the struts are on their way out. With the additional stress from the lowering springs, it would probably only speed up the process. Pure speculation though.
Tyler has been spot on. Suspension wear is incremental. Every mile you drive the suspension wears. Driving the 5th Gen 100K with all OEM parts will feel pretty good, until you replace all the worn pars with OEM new parts and you realize how much the performance had degraded.

When an OEM does durability testing they benchmark at 1million and 2 million strokes. Standards at 1 million strokes would look like: this no more than a 20% fluid loss, 10% change in rebound and 15% in jounce or compression. Those numbers may no sound like much, but the change in function is significant.

A good rule of thumb for a daily driver is to change out your struts or shocks at 60,000 miles. In a performance car where you want optimal function no more than 40,000 miles. Will they still work at 100,000 miles is a question that can only be answered within the context of your performance expectations.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmr spring wheel rub