Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III)

Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #85
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
man, despite how many times it's been said and despite how many ways it's been said, we will just continue to throw assumptions out there and call 'em "what happened." he wasn't paying attention. he was texting. he was too young. now he's on the phone. do you not acknowledge the possibility that there may have been something equally or more pressing that occured that could've have required his attention to at least be divided? or is it just that you thought of one thing so now it's gotta be that thing. look, something went wrong, but to be so arrogant and presumptuous as to claim to know the details of that thing is kind of what started me railing on in the first place. I'm not saying you just shouldn't do it here. I'm saying you shouldn't do it at all. it'll make you a better person.

Well said!

I wasn't part of the Thursday evening cruise,and I was only part of the Mid-Atlantic 'Camarovan" for a very short 50-60 miles as they came through my area of their route here in Uniontown,Pa. (I set-up lunch and fuel stops for them)
But I can tell you that almost everyone,including myself,had 2-way walkie-talkies,and that we were in constant contact with each other (well except for after lunch,buts thats a'whole other story! )

I can also tell you that Ernie (edog) made sure everyone was together,and that we stayed at safe speeds,even well below the speed limit at times,so everyone could keep a nice,safe,steady distance,and keep up with everyone else in front.

My hats off to edog for all he did,I can only hope I'm welcome to join his next "Camarovan"

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #86
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
I'm sorry I didn't get to participate in this years event, but am enjoying the pics and vids and it sounds like a good time was had by most! It sounds like the organizers did a great job of anticipating situations, conditions for the most part. There will always be glitches and "unforeseens".

From simply an observation perspective of the comments in this thread, I would suggest considering:

(1) Cruise Events from remote cities: Create the BUDDY SYSTEM prior to departure. And establish a couple GROUP PIT STOP LOCATIONS. Assign 2 cars, maybe 3 to a "team" for the ride to Fest. This way, you avoid the "herd" mentality that sets in after a few miles. You get to make pit stops with only ONE other car to worry about. If the herd somehow stays close, good enough, but just like DIVERS use the BUDDY SYSTEM, I think it could alleviate the "group" mentality of trying to keep the group "cohesive"..... It also lets you and your BUDDY car get a bit more intimate and know each other better. You could actually establish a couple main PIT STOPS the whole Caravan will stop at so you get a chance to regroup at that time. Meanwhile you and your BUDDY SYSTEM car are on your own, and you don't have to feel pressured to keep a large group cohesive. Also, the BUDDY system also tells each other that "you have their back" in case of breakdown, etc.

(2) EVENT Cruise: It appears the cruise around Indy was stressful. I watched the vids of people leaving the parking lot as well. It started smoothly. But something happened. All of a sudden, the whistle was blowing, people were being "herded"... understandable in order to try to keep the "group" cohesive. However, I must say, it was a bit painful to see LOCAL drivers being held at bay for almost 10 minutes while cars left the parking lot. And it seemed to have been done in a "bullying" fashion with no attempt made to talk to them in case they themselves may have had a deadline to reach. I saw one local expressing anger after being forced to wait for several minutes and with no end in sight (from his perspective) I could see his point. He was driving a Suburban I believe. But, we have to be considerate of others in our eagerness to "git r done".... That's all I'm saying on that subject. It was just painful to watch the locals not being allowed to carry on like they were waiting on a 500 car funeral or something. Courteousness could have been improved on that and it just might have tarnished some folks perception of those departing. This is simply something that should be considered next year ---- the impact on locals.

Thanks! No harm intended!

Great Event. Hope to meet some of you all sometime in person!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #87
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yep. Agreed. We tried to get some of the folks caught up in our lines around everyone. I cleared off debris from the on ramp on the inside shoulder so non-event cars could get through. I waved them through and got them on the expressway. It's tough, but we have to work together to get the normal traffic flowing when we can.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:56 PM   #88
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
We were real fortunate at the first Fest in Valdosta....They blocked roads and the cruise was a complete blast..

Every city can not be that accomodating...I missed this cruise cause I was working on teh AutoX course but I heard from alot of people.

Remember this one simple fact about cruises...IT is NOT a race and we have to be very mindful of other drivers...You will not be seperated that much so that you can't see where to go. Patience is of the utmost importance in things like this especially in populated areas. JMHO
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #89
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
I did not read all of this thread and purposefully avoided it for a while after getting home. Our Camarovan got broken up before it got started and from what I heard about the speeds, we were very glad to have been left behind. After hearing about that & the wreck and having been in large caravans before, this is why my hubby & I decided not to do the Camaro5 Fest cruise in out Camaros & not to caravan home with the rest of our crew. At best, it is not all that fun and very anxiety inducing. At worst dangerous or even deadly. We had a very close call when in a caravan during the Somernights Powercruise last year. We were very lucky & were able to successfully scatter to inside lanes & the sholder (alternate cars - you could not have planned that to work out as it did) and the organizers of that cruise have been doing it for years & are very well managed. However when there are that many cars trying to stay together, stuff can happen. I loved the Fest (all but the heat) and am still permagrinnin' but am really glad we opted out of the cruise. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:15 PM   #90
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
I think the whole problem is that some people lag behind!! There were several times I got frustrated due to someone not keeping up! It's very annoying. All I can say is this, next time if anyone drives in the line, KEEP UP!! Don't lag so far behind so everyone that wants to be in line has speed up and go around you just so we can catch up to the line. Also, it a line, stay in it!!
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #91
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
It is nice to see the amount of perspective being shared. I think everyone has great ideas. As the leader of the Mid-Atlantic Camarovan I take full responsibility (minus financial) for our group. I did my best to anticipate and to guide my group, with the exception of me stopping to take video. Even I had to catch up which required me to break the law. Maybe that is the point johnny law was called. It took me 13 miles to get back to the front of the group. I hit some high speeds as well to do so, and I went in and out of the lanes when I felt it safe. I believe my exact comment on the walkie was "now I know how Nascar feels".

I had a great time and enjoyed the togetherness of the group. I would love to do this again incorporating the lessons I learned about large groups. For those who defended me, thank you. I do not feel he is attacking me, but AdamZ is just venting about something not going correctly and felt it should be brought to the surface. We need info at times that seems controversial in order to improve.

As far as mike is concerned, none of us were in the car, so we should not ass-u-me. As we break that word apart it explains why so clearly. Why so many hard feeling when it was only 4 cars involved? There are friends on all side, but no one should feel the need to defend anyone, since no one should be attacking anyone here. I did not see anyone go up to the accused at the fest and accuse him of texting, emails, and just not paying attention. Do not let the WEB give a since of entitlement. Opinions are allowed, but respect for all must be considered. Lets get it together and show the support for one another as this community was intended.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #92
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by edog View Post
It is nice to see the amount of perspective being shared. I think everyone has great ideas. As the leader of the Mid-Atlantic Camarovan I take full responsibility (minus financial) for our group. I did my best to anticipate and to guide my group, with the exception of me stopping to take video. Even I had to catch up which required me to break the law. Maybe that is the point johnny law was called. It took me 13 miles to get back to the front of the group. I hit some high speeds as well to do so, and I went in and out of the lanes when I felt it safe. I believe my exact comment on the walkie was "now I know how Nascar feels".

I had a great time and enjoyed the togetherness of the group. I would love to do this again incorporating the lessons I learned about large groups. For those who defended me, thank you. I do not feel he is attacking me, but AdamZ is just venting about something not going correctly and felt it should be brought to the surface. We need info at times that seems controversial in order to improve.

As far as mike is concerned, none of us were in the car, so we should not ass-u-me. As we break that word apart it explains why so clearly. Why so many hard feeling when it was only 4 cars involved? There are friends on all side, but no one should feel the need to defend anyone, since no one should be attacking anyone here. I did not see anyone go up to the accused at the fest and accuse him of texting, emails, and just not paying attention. Do not let the WEB give a since of entitlement. Opinions are allowed, but respect for all must be considered. Lets get it together and show the support for one another as this community was intended.
No way bud. Not attacking you at all. This cruise was a VERY exciting couple hours for me. Definitely one of the best, if not the best, experiences in my life. I had a smashing time. I'm sure by the end of it my girlfriends ears were killing her from all my excitement lmao. Can't wait to do it again. But a few things didn't run so smoothly as we can see in many of these comments. Not because of you but because of others. Which these issues can be used as a guideline for next year. Which was the overall purpose
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #93
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
So where ARE we cruising to next year...?
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #94
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
So where ARE we cruising to next year...?
I assume we'll know in the next few months
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #95
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamZ View Post
I assume we'll know in the next few months
Rumor has it that things are always bigger in TEXAS.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #96
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
As hot as it was in Indy, I can only assume that the chaffage on my inner thighs will be bigger in Texas...
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #97
edog

Well, if you ever notice...The best 1/4 times are consistently from Texas. And, if memory serves me correctly, it's 4 lanes all the way there!

My suspension is just about finished, now to update the pumpkin in the backl

The next radio I get for the cruise will wire into my Camaro. I lacked range, even though they said 36 miles
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #98
edog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
As hot as it was in Indy, I can only assume that the chaffage on my inner thighs will be bigger in Texas...
Ah, its a dry heat! You just fall out!