Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-13-2011, 05:48 PM   #1
Jose

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS White S/C
First Gen5 Supercharged Camaro

I was just wondering, who did the first Gen5 Supercharged, is it still around? Is the engine still running? Was it from this forum? We have seen a lot of Gen5 supercharged Camaros, but as we all know, the first ones were the experimental ones. I was just curious on what to expect as far as the engine life supercharged, I am planning on keeping mine for a loooooong time.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
And alot has broken!
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Jose

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS White S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I don't think I was the first but I got my Maggie back in 9/09.

Still running solid? No problems so far?
Old 11-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
If u just put the maggie on and leave eveything else stock u will have have a long time with your car without replaceing parts... but like everyone else once u add a blower and get used to the power you want more.... and more ... and more... then things break...
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Supermaro585HP
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS RS
I have a 2011 SS and have a Edelbrock supercharger and cat back exhaust by Tom Henry racing. I agree once you get used to the power you want more. I'm starting to look at cams now and could really use some help here. I have a automatic tranny and I want a good cam that I can get the most power without having any problems. I just ordered SLP LT headers and a Rotofab CAI. I really need some help here guys. I don't know how to do the thread thing on here so that is why I'm asking on here. Sorry if I'm doing something wrong.
Supermaro585HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
boostedyards86

Drives: Cummins 3500
I was one of the first supercharged cars on the east coast. my car is running just fine. it now has a whipple, heads, cam etc etc making a ton of power.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:37 AM   #7
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Back in may of '09, the first car Magnuson supercharged was a Hennessey car, the second Camaro belonged to SLP, both of hem picked up there car's and tuned them themselves, all Magnuson did was the install and baseline. These were the cars used for the installation instructions. In June of '09 Magnuson installed there third supercharger, on my Blue Monster. They used it to dial in there box tune and for emission's calibrations. Since then I have done substantial mod's and several re-tunes to were the Monster puts down 713 rwhp. I currently have 26k on my Camaro, it has been drag raced, road course and auto-x, over 20 different events with only a radiator failure at one of the road course events. I regularly use it to commute from So-cal to Nor-cal as well as Phoenix and Las Vegas. I still average between 22 to 24 mpg using the cruise set at 80. I think I can easily say I had one of the first supercharged Camaros since Magnuson had the first supercharger kit for the Camaros.
If you just do a Magnuson and there tune you will be safe, if you decide you want more, make sure you know what your doing, I've seen quite a few failures when people try to save a buck and short cut something. Build it right the first time, I'm still on a stock bottom end. I know I'm at the limit with a stock bottom end and I am running a very conservative tune for that reason. A forged bottom end is in the works for the middle of next year, then I will go after a more aggressive tune.
Keep it safe and you can get a long time out of a boosted motor. I've have a Maggie on my '01 Silverado, '07 Escalade and just put one on my g/f's '12 45th vert. I cant imagine driving anything with a n/a ls based engine, these engines love to be supercharged.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Brent_$$
Warp drive in development

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS (Becca Bumble Bee)
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent_$$
I have not had any problems with mine. My wife and I installed the tvs2300 with kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers, highflow cats, magnaflow comp cat back, rotofab CAI, and professional tune by ECS. We are putting down 550 rwhp and 526 ft/lbs torque. This is a daily driver car still running stock clutch and fuel pump. We have not had any problem with the car and now have 20,000 miles on it. The only thing I had to change were my rear tires. Everything else on engine is stock.
Brent_$$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Great to hear all the good stories of the Maggie holding up strong
Old 12-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #10
BlownChevy

Drives: 2015 1SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by urr2slo View Post
Back in may of '09, the first car Magnuson supercharged was a Hennessey car, the second Camaro belonged to SLP, both of hem picked up there car's and tuned them themselves, all Magnuson did was the install and baseline. These were the cars used for the installation instructions. In June of '09 Magnuson installed there third supercharger, on my Blue Monster. They used it to dial in there box tune and for emission's calibrations. Since then I have done substantial mod's and several re-tunes to were the Monster puts down 713 rwhp. I currently have 26k on my Camaro, it has been drag raced, road course and auto-x, over 20 different events with only a radiator failure at one of the road course events. I regularly use it to commute from So-cal to Nor-cal as well as Phoenix and Las Vegas. I still average between 22 to 24 mpg using the cruise set at 80. I think I can easily say I had one of the first supercharged Camaros since Magnuson had the first supercharger kit for the Camaros.
If you just do a Magnuson and there tune you will be safe, if you decide you want more, make sure you know what your doing, I've seen quite a few failures when people try to save a buck and short cut something. Build it right the first time, I'm still on a stock bottom end. I know I'm at the limit with a stock bottom end and I am running a very conservative tune for that reason. A forged bottom end is in the works for the middle of next year, then I will go after a more aggressive tune.
Keep it safe and you can get a long time out of a boosted motor. I've have a Maggie on my '01 Silverado, '07 Escalade and just put one on my g/f's '12 45th vert. I cant imagine driving anything with a n/a ls based engine, these engines love to be supercharged.
I remember that..... Those were the good ole days.
BlownChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #11
Ray@RDS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownChevy View Post
yep! i remember buggin the crap out of you too!
714 rwhp in the bus!

thx B!
Ray@RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 02:28 AM   #12
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownChevy View Post
Yes they were B.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
East Coast Supercharging

Drives: 8 second C5 Drag Car, C6 Road racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_$$ View Post
I have not had any problems with mine. My wife and I installed the tvs2300 with kooks 1 7/8 long tube headers, highflow cats, magnaflow comp cat back, rotofab CAI, and professional tune by ECS. We are putting down 550 rwhp and 526 ft/lbs torque. This is a daily driver car still running stock clutch and fuel pump. We have not had any problem with the car and now have 20,000 miles on it. The only thing I had to change were my rear tires. Everything else on engine is stock.

Glad to hear your enjoying it still.
East Coast Supercharging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
Any long term whipple stories?
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote