Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 07-25-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Shop Lifts-Need Advice

Ok I have buil my new garage and have started trying to decide how to finish the inside.

I will be putting a lift in it. I have 12' high walls so pretty much anything will fit. I have narrowed it down to a 2 post lift for the simple fact I can access all areas of the vehicle once lifted, the problem comes in with Brand's. I did a search on google and there are so many comanies that sell lifts and since this will more than likely be done over the net/phone I wasnted to get as much information as possible of what to look for, how they are made, etc...... Kinda the do's and do not's if you will of lift buying. My garage is 30 x 42 so I have room, just not sure who makes a quality product that will last.

So if ya'll have any thoughts or input it might help me and the next guy who is thinking of buying a lift.

Thanks,

John
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
check this one out. Video with all the safety features too. 72" lift height (that's the bottom of the car will be 72" off the ground). Has lock in place safety stops too

http://www.eagleequip.com/2-post-car-lifts/MTP-9F.html
Old 07-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
check this one out. Video with all the safety features too. 72" lift height (that's the bottom of the car will be 72" off the ground). Has lock in place safety stops too

http://www.eagleequip.com/2-post-car-lifts/MTP-9F.html
I checked it out.....from what I have read it appears that the better lift is one with the horizontal bar at the top instead of the bottom.

I have noticed some others come with a better warranty but in all hoonesty have no clue about all that stuff.

If the internals make a difference or not, how they are made. Not real sure what questions to ask to even know if it is a good lift or not.

While I am sure that most will be ok since it will not be an everyday use just want to make sure I get the best band for my buck.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
I can throw my two cents in here. The best top of the line is without a doubt is the Mohawk, next in line would be the Rotory, then Bend Pack. For most folks unless they reall use them a lot the Bend Pack is a very good lift. Mohawk is probably the safest, best made lift made period, but they charge for that as well. Mohawk 10,000 lb. two post 10,700
Bend pack two post 10,00 lbs 2,865
Rotory 10,000 two post 4,500
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
I can throw my two cents in here. The best top of the line is without a doubt is the Mohawk, next in line would be the Rotory, then Bend Pack. For most folks unless they reall use them a lot the Bend Pack is a very good lift. Mohawk is probably the safest, best made lift made period, but they charge for that as well. Mohawk 10,000 lb. two post 10,700
I appreciate the info.....See this is what I am talking about. I read an article on BendPak vs Rotary.

Here's the link

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Articles.asp?ID=146

actually done by Best Buy Automotive Equipment.. Pictures are really interesting.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
Tom D

Drives: 10 Camaro SS/RS RJT
Though I don't have a two post lift I do own a Bend Pac Mid-Lift. (Only have 8 ft ceiling) and I will say the quality is tops. Came to me very well packaged up and hose was all assembled with caps to protct threads. Ram was clean and no defects and all accessories were clean and missing nothing. Fittings were already installed for me. Control is the same as the two post lift and it is very easy to operate. Good luck with what ever you decide.
2010 2SS/RS RJT, ADM CAI, Borla Shorties, Borla "S" Cat Back, Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GMS Wires, GMS Rear Trailing Arms, GMS Rotors, GMS End Links, GMS Tunnel Brace, GMS Rear Tie Rods, GMS 1G Suspension Package, GMS Stage 3 CNC ported heads, GMS Spec'd R12 Custom Ground Camshaft, Snow Meth Injection, GMS Custom Tuned, Norris Catch Can, MTI Brake Lines, Pfadt Coilovers, Sway Bars, Camber Kit, and Rear LCA Reinforcement, , AAC Footwell, Trunk, DRL and Dome LED Lighting, Technostalgia Tail Lights, RED B/A Pedals, Kompression Custom Wheels with Nitto tires, 621RWHP/584RWTQ
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
Njja

Drives: 2011 Shelby, 2005 SSR, 2011 2SS/RS
Nice thread! I am moving into a new house next week and I will also be adding lifts. Mine is 3 car, with 3 separate doors with 13' ceilings. I am going to install Liftmaster Jackstaff openers to eliminate the center tracks. I'm going to install a Racedeck floor and either Backyard Buddy lifts or one 4 post and one 2 post from Greg Smith Equipt. I am lucky that Greg Smith has a local showroom for me to check out.

Today I briefly spoke with Backyard Buddy and learned that they have a local installer, which in a case like this I think should be considered.

I look forward to reading everyone's thoughts, and will add my own experiences with the hope it might help another member.
Njja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Well tried to do some more research on this subject and talked with some local mechanics in my area who have shops.

Most agree that the top center piece is a must, they say it helps stabilize the lift. The recommended for my application that a 7000 lb lift would be fine for what I am doing. I got a vary of opinions on the brand.

I looked at Backyard Buddy and they seemed high, The Bendpak seems well made, but I know alot of shops are using the Rotary lifts.

I have enough room to get just about any lift I may want ( 12 ft ceilings) so the unit size is not an issue. Unfortunately there is not a local dealer for these things in my area so I am going to have to buy one over the phone or net, Man I hate doing that just never know what you are getting in to. Luckily this is not something I have to have today and can wait till I get more knowledge on this subject.

I too look forward to more peoples comments.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
Njja

I watched the video on Backyard Buddy's website with Sam from the TV shows. Then I went to a local showroom from a dealer that's sells other popular brands of two post and four post lifts......all made in China.

The local dealers products are about 1/2 the cost of Backyard Buddy lifts, in the $1935-$2935 price range. And they look it! Locking mechanism is very thin about 1/4 inch and is loose inside post as shown in BB Video. Lifts are also wobbly with plastic guides everywhere you look. Even the dealer said everything is coming from China because of the labor costs. I asked him why he doesn't sell US products he said because the ones he carries are cheaper!

My opinion is as follows:

1. You get what you pay for.
2. If you can afford to consider a lift why put your $50-$100K vehicle up on anything but the best?
3. If I am going to walk under something......I want it made in the US
4. Our country is going through a rough time, so let's put Our people back to work and let the Chinese sell lifts in China.

I talked to Joe at BB and he was very helpful, so I will be ordering mine shortly. I'm closing on my house next Friday, and I want to do a final layout before I decide how many to order. When you see these lifts in person they are really quite large. I'm getting extended hight because I have 13' ceilings, but the lifts themselves have a large footprint.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
FirstCamaro19

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
I have always had good luck with rotary lifts, Used them for years
Performance: Huron Speed Single Turbo Kit- Turbonetics T76- Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback - Ported Throttle Body - Dyno Tune - DSS One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft - BMR 1.4" Lowering Springs -TSP 235/239 Lumpy Stick- Aeromotive A1000 Return Fuel System

Cosmetics: Heritage Grill - LED Dome/License Plate/and Fog Lights -8000K HID Headlight - BMR 4 Point Strut Tower Brace - Forgestar Wheels

Audio: Scosche Dash Kit - Kenwood DNX6990HD w/Nav - Prefabbed Ported Box with 1 12" Alpine Type R - Alpine PDX M12 Amp
FirstCamaro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #11
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
I've got a Mohawk System I...it's wayyyyy more lift than I'll ever need. Built like a tank here in the good ole USA.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
Njja

What type floor are you going to use? I think I am going to order Racedeck.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
http://www.harborfreight.com/10000-l...ift-68485.html

that's pretty much what is in our shop. we bought ours from there and have had no issues.. hell it picks up the 2500hd diesel no problem.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #14
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I thought this thread was about shopliffting.....like from Walmart.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote