Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #1
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
HP TUNERS Pros Please help???

My car is undergoing a new build and will be a very high HP build. My question is using HP Tuners, can you setup custom tunes to load? For example, can I have different tunes to turn up boost and tunes for nitrous to load or do I have to do individual tuning each time. I am planning on buying the Pro HP Tuner software and doing one of their schools to learn the software so I can do tuning down the road. In the meantime, can a shop do each of these specific custom tunes and then I would be able to download them myself until I learn how to properly do this? I want to be able to go to the track and have my laptop and then if I want to do higher boost runs or do nitrous runs, I want to be able to change the tune at the track. Any help is appreciated.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
hoffmk2003
The Hof

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
My car is undergoing a new build and will be a very high HP build. My question is using HP Tuners, can you setup custom tunes to load? For example, can I have different tunes to turn up boost and tunes for nitrous to load or do I have to do individual tuning each time. I am planning on buying the Pro HP Tuner software and doing one of their schools to learn the software so I can do tuning down the road. In the meantime, can a shop do each of these specific custom tunes and then I would be able to download them myself until I learn how to properly do this? I want to be able to go to the track and have my laptop and then if I want to do higher boost runs or do nitrous runs, I want to be able to change the tune at the track. Any help is appreciated.

HP tuners allows complete control of your Tunes. HP tuners allows you to make your own custom tunes and flash the computer whenever you want if you have the flash cable and a laptop.

My suggestion would be to learn the software before you mod. Practise on a nearly stock car to learn the ins and outs of what your doing and how to do it before going crazy. either that or hire a tuner to make all the tunes for you and all you have to do is flash what one you want.

Trick is go slow, don't get ahead of yourself and have patients. You have to learn what you are doing before you do it, otherwise you can make big mistakes and cost you an engine.....

Read this to get a general overview of tuning and what your doing:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...76&postcount=2

Ken
#6 Bolt on Fast List...best ET 12.01@117 mph
http://www.streetfire.net/video/best...ro_2240734.htm
hoffmk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Sure you can create and save as many custom tunes as you like on your laptop. Then flash them whenever you desire.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
well do you want a short answer or a long answer?

short answer: Yes

long answer.... well... i'll wait for you to respond to see if u want to read the long answer before i type it all. lol

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
jrpxxii

This answer my question. As I stated, I am new to this and am having Cincy Speed do the build and of course all of the tuning. I figured I could load different tunes but am not familiar with the custom software. HP Tuners has a school you can attend to go in depth about learning the software that I am very interested in doing but I have always been one that if I do something I dive in head first and go at it 100% from the get go. I guess you could say I kinda skipped the nice and slow point as I started with a new stock SS and then went to 625hp and that wasnt enough and moved to 750hp and that wasnt enough, so I am now aiming for the big leagues at over 1200hp. It will be nice to be able to got to track and fine tune on my laptop after doing passes. I am sure I will be asking alot more questions down the road but for now its just a waiting game.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:11 AM   #6
jbsrace1

Drives: 2010 2ss
You can have as many tunes as you want. Only thing is if a tuner builds the tunes on his computer and you want to load then from your computer then you and the tuner must both purchase a license for your car.
If you take your laptop and cable to the tuner and he works and tunes with it then you will only need the one license.
jbsrace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Ive been tuning with HP Tuner for more than 8-9 years.
Ive saved 100's of tunes I have for my car. Finally I deleted some that I know Id never go back to. I scan my car 90% of the time, and if I see something I dont like I make a change. The change I make in winter, the summer hot might not like. Its not a basic canned program like the SCT and Diablo that just gets uploaded.

You can have your tuner either burn a copy of your tunes to a CD and depending on how your going to drive that day, up load that specific applicantion.
IE, You know your not going to spray today, so up load the tune that's not as rich.
Going to the track tomorrow, upload the tune which allows for more boost.
But dont let that fool you. Keep a wide band on your car to make sure the tunes are effective.

The thing i have to warn you about, just as easy as it is to upload a tune, Its just as easy to FK up your car not knowing how to properly use the software. Its a learning curve.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
jrpxxii

Thanks everyone. I would never play with the software in my car as I have WAY too much money invested but as you say, its a learnig curve and I have to start somewhere if I want to do this. I am definitely going to have my tuner load all of the tunes for me and when I feel 100% confident in using the software, I can tweak the tunes. I have a wideband as nothing has been overlooked in this build and it is mainly going to be a track car but will also be used for daily driving as well when I want to cruise around town or make car shows and events.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Brian@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Basically the HP tuners is just an interface. So your laptop holds all of the tunes and log and you use the VCM Editor to read and write them. The VCM scanner is the logger. Everything is saved onto your laptop and the interface is only used for logging and programming. So normally what I do is just make a folder on my desktop and save everything I have there.
Brian@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote