Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
SStothebone

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Valve Springs

Whats better for a procharged, cammed LS3? Dual spring valve spring or the traditional single spring?
SStothebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:23 AM   #2
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I would say it depends upon the specs of the cam.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I would always do doubles for the safety.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I would always do doubles for the safety.
^Exactly what I was gonna say.^

They may be more expensive, but in the event that a spring breaks, the extra investment for doubles could save you a lot of cash in the long run. If one never breaks on you, you still get the peace of mind. Seems like a win either way.

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
x3

double springs... i would never put a single spring on my vehicle.

Just this one scenario should be enough to sell you on double valve springs.....:

A single valve spring breaks on a motor, you drop a valve, and you have to replace at minimum the cylinder heads, pistons, re-hone/bore the cylinder sleeve, rebalance the bottom end again, we are talking well into the thousands of dollars of repairs.. AT MINIMUM

A double valve spring breaks on a motor. The other valve spring still holds the valve up. Not only do you not blow your motor up, but it will still run! Granted not like it should and I wouldn't suggest revving it to 7k rpms, but you can actually drive it home very carefully and not damage the motor.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
andredmg
Big Nasty

Drives: Chevys lots of em
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
x3

Just this one scenario should be enough to sell you on double valve springs.....:

A single valve spring breaks on a motor, you drop a valve, and you have to replace at minimum the cylinder heads, pistons, re-hone/bore the cylinder sleeve, rebalance the bottom end again, we are talking well into the thousands of dollars of repairs.. AT MINIMUM

A double valve spring breaks on a motor. The other valve spring still holds the valve up. Not only do you not blow your motor up, but it will still run! Granted not like it should and I wouldn't suggest revving it to 7k rpms, but you can actually drive it home very carefully and not damage the motor.
Dead on, if that doesnt sell you on doubles I dont know what will!!!
andredmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
I would say it depends upon the specs of the cam.
Exactly....

Sure double springs offer you a bit more safety but to much spring can also be hard on the engine as well.

If the cam does not need a valve spring of that size and pressure then you can rob HP by using it to open and close the spring, increase oil and water temps, increase cam wear, valve seat wear...a number of different things.

You should almost use the lightest spring you can get away with, within reason.

Putting a 400 psi dual valve spring on a stock car is not going to help anything or make it last 10x longer, if anything it will put more wear on everything else.

At the same point an time...when you do go to a larger cam, then it is advantagous to go to a stronger and dual spring setup. Which is why we use the 921 Comp duals with all of our cam kits.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #8
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I've been driving since 1969 and have never had a valve spring break. I have bent pushrods before but never anything to do with valve springs. I don't know it going to a double spring is worth it on a street car unless you have other mods on the engine or intend to run it very hard up to or over redline.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I've been driving since 1969 and have never had a valve spring break. I have bent pushrods before but never anything to do with valve springs. I don't know it going to a double spring is worth it on a street car unless you have other mods on the engine or intend to run it very hard up to or over redline.
I've been driving and working on LSx motors for about 12 years. I've seen about 10 different cars break valve springs. 5 of those had single springs and 3 of those 5 needed new motors after they broke, the other two needed the valve replaced. The 5 double springs, only one needed a new valve.

These were all aftermarket springs and cams.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #10
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
x3

Quote:
I've been driving and working on LSx motors for about 12 years. I've seen about 10 different cars break valve springs. 5 of those had single springs and 3 of those 5 needed new motors after they broke, the other two needed the valve replaced. The 5 double springs, only one needed a new valve.

These were all aftermarket springs and cams.
Any idea why a valve would bend after replaceing the entire head accessories with top notch gear (springs, rockers, et al)? No broken "dual" springs or anything in the heads, just a bent valve (so far)?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #11
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
Any idea why a valve would bend after replaceing the entire head accessories with top notch gear (springs, rockers, et al)? No broken "dual" springs or anything in the heads, just a bent valve (so far)?
Valve float.

This could be cause by weak springs or springs where installed height was not checked and shimmed accordingly.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Valve float.

This could be cause by weak springs or springs where installed height was not checked and shimmed accordingly.
Thanks, for response. So, if spring defective and weakened over time, the valve could have been pushed further down than it should and came in contact with the piston and got smacked hard enough to bend it and or cause other damage to the walls, piston, head, etc...? Or if I"m lucky not other damage?
Also, could something like this be caused if clutch suddenly busted at medium RPM's around 3k, which caused the engine to overreve and exceed some forces for a few seconds?
Old 07-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
100% depedant on the cam.. I run close to .700 lift and a beehive..LOL 247/263 cam
spring MFG comes into play as well

At the same time I have a 4.8 liter LS engine that we put a 224/231 cam in and are going to run a dual spring.. probably a PAC 1521 in it due to the lobe choice on the cam.

mechanical over rev does happen.... miss a gear ? yes you can force contact

Last edited by CC Performance; 07-16-2011 at 12:07 PM.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
100% depedant on the cam.. I run close to .700 lift and a beehive..LOL 247/263 cam
spring MFG comes into play as well

At the same time I have a 4.8 liter LS engine that we put a 224/231 cam in and are going to run a dual spring.. probably a PAC 1521 in it due to the lobe choice on the cam.

mechanical over rev does happen.... miss a gear ? yes you can force contact
Thinking this was caused from all the issues with the shifter / clutch not going into gear, grinding, getting stuck, pedal stuck to floor, etc....

Tags
valve spring