Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-29-2021, 01:11 PM   #15
kbear951

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
Ya I was thinking, I was thinking I could just find someone to pass it. It shouldn’t be too hard to find someone I don’t think. Apparently they can detect the tune now. The top of the engine is wet bc of a leaky valve cover. What are the benefits of LS3 conversion? I was told the lifters have been improved so this won’t happen again if I replace them all anyway? Is the LS3 going to be louder? I ask bc there are super strict noise ordinances where I live. I see everyone on here talking about taking this opportunity to do a cam swap as well. Is that necessary? What is the reason for it? Doesn’t that make it a lot louder? Will my gas mileage go down?
Old 11-29-2021, 01:44 PM   #16
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Very little change going to LS3, a little more top end power, a little less bottom end torque. Maybe a very small drop in mileage, not likely a changes in noise. It is simpler so maybe less likely to fail, but your original lasted 125k, are you likely to drive it to 250k? I haven't heard of improved lifters for the AFM lifters. If I was in your position and wouldn't/couldn't go with an aftermarket cam, I would likely just go back with existing. I don't know that the advantages of the LS3 swap are worth the head aches for you.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:10 PM   #17
kbear951

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS, L99
Thank you for answering all my questions!! Is there any reason to do a cam swap if I just replace the lifters and leave everything else as is? Are there any other performance upgrades I can/should do while in there?
Old 11-29-2021, 02:34 PM   #18
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
The cam needs to be inspected, at least through the lifter bores, since depending on how the lifters failed it could have damaged a lobe. I don't think there is much you can do for added performance without again needing a tune, and if then you might as well do the cam. At 125k I would probably completely rebuild the head, except maybe reuse the valves. New springs, valve seals, pushrods, all lifters and trays, rocker arms with bronze trunnions. Maybe a new oil sending unit since they can go bad and are hard to get to later.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #19
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
I know in the Hemi which we run at work when we loose a lifter ( The roller seizes up ) it usually takes the Lobe out. It would not hurt to Freshen up the top end while you are in there, I guess the answer to your questions are how long do you plan on keeping it? What are your plans for it? and it is easier to freshen things up while you are in there instead of doing it twice. As far as going from one L99 to LS3 set up , I have not really followed along with the L99 as I do not and don't plan to have one, Is it a common real world issue or a Internet issue? Does it happen usually around 100K or a lot earlier?
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #20
ElderJ

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
Grand fathered in?

Yeah, that'd be my guess. I'm nowhere near Cali, but most of the time that's how these laws are enacted.

Back when I was in college, I drove my grandpa's 73 Impala. It had those bench seats and nothing but waist seatbelts - no shoulder straps. I got pulled over one time and the cop told me that I don't need to comply with the seatbelt regulations (Indiana) due to the age of the car. Nice.
ElderJ is offline   Reply With Quote