Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-11-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
trossit

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS
Warning Signs for Low Oil Level in V6

Hello Forum,

Besides a "Low Oil" dummy light does the V6 engine give you any other early warning signs of low oil levels? Strange noises? For example when 1 -2 quarts low? Also, does anyone know what oil level triggers the low oil light?

Thanks
trossit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
67-LS1

Drives: 1966 Chevelle
Yikes! Scary question.
I check my oil level via the dipstick at least every other gas fill up. If I were ever even a 1/4 quart down I’d be looking for the problem.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:16 PM   #3
trossit

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-LS1 View Post
Yikes! Scary question.
I check my oil level via the dipstick at least every other gas fill up. If I were ever even a 1/4 quart down I’d be looking for the problem.
You are wise to check your oil as often as you do. I checked my oil today and it was even on the stick! I took it to the dealer to top it off and it was a good 2 quarts low! I was hearing strange noises that are thought was a failing DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel)....I was WRONG. After adding 2 quarts of oil to the engine the noise issues went away. Wow....do I feel dumb! I just wonder now what parts of the engine was starving for oil when I heard whirling noise and sometimes chuckling noise which sounded like it was coming from the flywheel area. The noises occurred only when the engine was under load (accelerating and abruptly decelerating). Also more noticeable when engine was cold. I will ask this question in the engine section of the forum.

Have you ever had one of the V6s 2 qtrs. low.....or even 1 qtrs.?
trossit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:50 AM   #4
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
I own a 2015 V6 as my DD. I've been told by several experienced mechanics that low oil levels are not good for our timing chains, to the point that they suggest that a slight overfill is a good thing for long life. I do that now.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote