Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #1
jwatty

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Compression Test help on LS3

I'm trying to do a compression test on my 2010 Camaro 2SS. I have followed all the directions in the Haynes Repair Manual.

-Removed Ignition Coil Packs
-Removed all spark plugs
-Removed air intake from throttle body and blocked TB wide open
-Removed the fuse for the ignition system (later questions)
-Removed the fuse for the fuel pump relay (after searching for forever, this was in the trunk passenger side)
-Installed a compression gauge in the spark plug hole

-I added this one myself, but I also removed the odd/even fuel injector fuses for the first attempt. When it didn't work, I went back to what the book said and placed them back in.

When I go to crank the engine, nothing happens. It doesn't even try to turn over. The only thing I'm not sure on is which ignition fuses to pull. I first tried fuses:

#15 IGN (5A)
#20 ECM/IGN (15A)
#9 INJ EVEN (20A)
#10 INJ ODD (20A)

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attac...1&d=1573863452

After that, I tried with #9 and #10 back in. After that, all sorts of combo's.

I should note that I was able to start it before I took everything above off. The only thing that changed was that I had to take the battery out of the trunk and recharge it. Battery is holding its charge at 12.4v.

What am I missing?
Attached Images

jwatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #2
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Put the ECM fuse back in. It needs to see ignition power to turn it on. Once the ECM is powered, it will send a start command to the starter relay. The better way to do it, would be to use a jumper tool that has a button on it, attached to the starter solenoid. Use the button instead of the vehicles ignition. This way, you dont have to worry about puling any fuses to stop fueling because the key isnt needed and the ingition wont be on. Also, you should be doing a compression and leakdown test after the vehicle has reached normal operating temp. Use gloves to remove the spark plugs and install the tester.

One of these..... https://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...tch-35448.html
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #3
jwatty

Thanks for your reply. I put the ECM fuse back in and it still wouldn't turn over. I like your idea of jumping the starter and plan to do that first thing tomorrow morning. That will make it a whole lot easier to watch the gauge as well.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
G8One2

Get the car back running. Get it warmed up to normal operating temp. The first pulse on the compression gauge should immediatly jump to 90psi or higher. If it doesn't, I would perform a leakdwon test to try and narrow it down some.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #5
G8One2

Also, using the tool, you won't need to turn the key on, so you will never get any fuel in the cylinders, or spark.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
jwatty

I believe I have a bad lifter. It is making a ticking noise. How important is it to get the vehicle to normal operating temp? Would a bad lifter give horrible compression results regardless of temp?
Old 11-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
G8One2

You can do a cold test, it just won't show accurate pressure readings. Cold engines will read a lower pressure than that of a hot engine.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:42 PM   #8
G8One2

A noisy lifter usually won't show in a compression test unless you have bigger issues and broke parts
Old 11-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #9
jwatty

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I guess I should share why I'm doing this for a better diagnosis. I was driving my car down the highway and missed a down shift while passing. About a 1/2 a mile later, my car began to shake and I got the stabilitrak error on my dash. It felt like I had popped a tire so I pulled over to the shoulder and coasted down an off ramp to flat land. Once I slowed down enough, the engine just killed over. I can still run it, but it's rough and not drive able. Has a feint ticking noise. Throwing out P0300 code. About 2 weeks before this, I heard a chirping noise from time to time coming from engine. Oil pressure is fine. Fuel pump is working. I changed out spark plugs/wires. Changed out the MAF sensor. Tomorrow I plan to finish the compression test and if I can rent a leak down test, I'll do that too.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:59 PM   #10
Camaro__ss

Drives: 2013 L99
Sounds bad. Hope the engine isn’t locked up. Can you turn it over using the crank bolt?
Camaro__ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #11
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
On Chevys 2010+ you don't need to do a lot of this... simply take out the plugs on the cylinders you want to test, hook up the compression tester to a cylinder, hold the gas pedal all the way down to the floor and crank. If you don't believe me, try to start you car in normal conditions with the pedal down and it will not start, just crank. GM decided to disable fuel/spark with the pedal all the way down, makes for any easy compression test on newer GMs.

Also get a battery charger on the car if you are testing compression on more than a couple cylinders. Doing it cold will give you lower compression, but you are just trying to see if one cylinder is lower than average anyways right?

To be fair I haven't done this on the SS so you can disconnect the coils just to be sure, since most GMs have coil-on-plug, but if you try it with the engine in normal condition it will verify for you whether this trick will work or not
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #12
cheyndixon

Drives: 2010 2ss camaro
so i don’t have to disconnect coil packs or any fuses before i crank the motor to test compression? just hold the throtte wide open?
cheyndixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #13
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Yes sir...