Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
jcaligood

Drives: '18 SS 1LE
Installing TSP headers this weekend

Installing my 1 7/8" Texas Speed long tubes with high flow cats this weekend..
Other than removing the O2 sensors, are there any issues i should anticipate?
I dont have any help, might be hard by myself.
Anyone ran into any problems installing these? Or is it relatively easy?
Thanks!
jcaligood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Blkcamaro81

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/ 2015 GMC Acadia
There have been a couple recent threads about the fitment issues. This one http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480051 and within that one is a link to another. I personally haven't had any of their products on a fifth gen, but I did on a 4th. I had trouble installing their cat back on the 4th gen, but I attributed it to something I did wrong.
Blkcamaro81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Cammie 2011

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2ss 1LE and 2013 1LE
I have stalled 3 sets of tsp headers, I have 2inch tsp headers on my car. No problems at all. It is always good to have a extra hand to help hold the header up to start a bolt while someone is underneath the car is holding the header up. Watch your spark plugs also so you don't hit them with the header while installing. Hope that helps.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:15 PM   #4
jcaligood

thanks for the input guys
Old 01-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
an extra set of hands always helps. Ive installed 2 sets of the TSP headers and haven't had a single issue. Love them on my 10 SS. Super easy install. I was done in under 3 hours including beer and smoke breaks. Good luck, we're here if you run into any issues.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
If you can, get under the car the night before you're going to install them (provided you're not driving the car the next day) and spray a liberal amount of PB Blaster or WD-40 on the O2 sensors. This will reduce the risk of tearing up the threads. I tried to install my LT's on my own, but eventually I had to call in help from a friend for installing the passenger side header as it gets really hard to hold the header up and get bolts in without risking damage to the block, flange, or both. Good luck and enjoy your new headers!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:34 PM   #7
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Make sure you have someone under the car watch where the dipstick comes out from. Wife, girlfriend, dog, someone. Otherwise guessing will take forever. It's a fickle bitch.
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetal Speedster View Post
Make sure you have someone under the car watch where the dipstick comes out from. Wife, girlfriend, dog, someone. Otherwise guessing will take forever. It's a fickle bitch.

Three things I would say to look out for is:
-Dipstick like stated above
-Spark Plugs. Make sure you remove them cause you can easily crack one or two while installing the new headers
-Not all cars are the same. Some people have posted that their headers rubbed the steering shaft and thus needed to put a little indentation in the headers. This isn't an issue with TSP as it happens across multiple brands. Likelihood of this happening is small but possible.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #9
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Take your dang spark plugs out

I ended up cracking 2
Old 01-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
qgaskin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Literally just did this today and I would say you do need at least 1 other person to help along the way and I did kind of run into a problem with 2 of the bolt holes on the header not lining up properly with the block so I had to kinda work it into position to a little longer than normal
qgaskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:42 PM   #11
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I Have TSP on my car and they are good, just make sure you follow the advise and dont try to cut corners.

Remove spark plugs
Remember how the dipstick comes out
Disconnect battery or you'll probably bump the starter with the dipstick
Use new gaskets on the new headers! they are cheap from your local chevy dealer.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #12
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
Hand tighten the spark plugs! I partially stripped the threads in the head cuz I got a little too excited.

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #13
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arogg View Post
an extra set of hands always helps. Ive installed 2 sets of the TSP headers and haven't had a single issue. Love them on my 10 SS. Super easy install. I was done in under 3 hours including beer and smoke breaks. Good luck, we're here if you run into any issues.
One trick is to find a bolt about twice as long as the header bolt. Cut the head off and thread it into the front hole. This will allow you to hang the header. slip a nut onto it. Then you can swing the back up and begin the other bolts.
Replace that stud with the proper bolt before you begin to tighten the others. Tighten from the center out.

Last time I installed headers there was no way I could reseat the dip stick with the car on stands. I went to the shop that we used for our work trucks. He put it on a lift and in two seconds seated the tube. Didn't charge me a penny. He got a box of donuts the next morning though.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:25 PM   #14
jcaligood

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroFred View Post
One trick is to find a bolt about twice as long as the header bolt. Cut the head off and thread it into the front hole. This will allow you to hang the header. slip a nut onto it. Then you can swing the back up and begin the other bolts.
Replace that stud with the proper bolt before you begin to tighten the others. Tighten from the center out.

Last time I installed headers there was no way I could reseat the dip stick with the car on stands. I went to the shop that we used for our work trucks. He put it on a lift and in two seconds seated the tube. Didn't charge me a penny. He got a box of donuts the next morning though.
Great idea! wish i seen this before i installed them.
Took me about 10 hours by myself, 6 busted knuckles, 1 broken wrench, and a lot of getting under the car with stands.
Pretty hard by myself but i managed.
Man, the car sounds great now and pulls much harder

Gonna drive the car a couple days then torque the header bolts to spec, i didnt have a torque wrench when i put the headers in.

Should i expect an exhaust leak? what does it sound like, is it pretty obvious?

Thanks everyone for the tips and input.