Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #12419
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Rumor has it orders in 2nd or 3rd quarter and delivery in spring 2014. I hope I am wrong. Can we get Becky or Al O's adopted son to chime in?

Nice....
I think it was in the C&D article, a comment about them running the car at various tracks in the spring season..... track days, or magazine invites?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #12420
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
I cribbed this from another forum, but it fits the geo-political/new Camaro conversation:

"If there's the capability to make (or store?) some LS7s for Z/28s, what are the chances of the same scheme for LS9s?!

Would a Farewell Edition ZL1-R, with an LS9 and those aforementioned carbon-ceramic brakes, be capable of enough "nuclear fission" to drive Kim Jung Un into complete and permanent disarmament?! He WAS educated in Dearborn and Auburn Hills, wasn't he?"
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #12421
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I'd be shocked to see an 11 second difference at the Ring between the two Camaros, but I'm willing to defer to Pete's guesstimate as he is clearly more of an authority than I. Lots of long straight, sweepers, bumps and elevation changes. The MR and HP of the ZL should be better used at the Ring vs a smaller tighter track. Just my thoughts on the subject. Looking forward to seeing the new Z/28 in action.
Slicks compared to super high performance street tires are good for at least 1.5 seconds on a typical road course lap. A seven minute run is equivalent to 3.5 laps with laps running 1:30 to 2:00. That is 5 seconds. The ZL1 has excellent brakes, but they are not CC brakes that bite harder when they get hotter. I am going with 2 seconds here. The Z/28 lower CG, 300 pounds less weight and 305s are a big advantage. There has to be a 2 seconds in 7 minutes. The Z has a 70 RWHP advantage, but is 300 pounds heavier. I give the ZL1 a 1.5 second advantage here. Race tune dampers with F1 valve technology, race tuned sway bars, ultra light weight wheels, weight saving CC rotors and serious down force with the new aero has to be 2 seconds over a 7 minute plus run. The Z/28 gearing and differential are a big plus though the top speed of the ZL1 is better along with top end acceleration. I go with 1 second over seven minutes advantage Z/28.

Do the math and we have the Z/28 at 10.5 seconds faster. What I don't account for is the driver's confidence level. The lower CG, 305s up front and slicks mean the Z/28 will stick. It will remain balanced when the ZL1 moves to understeer because the front tires don't have enough grip. The Pedders USA Camaro, Raymond's Performance Camaro and the Lingenfelter L/28 have all run laps faster than a Z06 at Gingerman, Putnam Park and Road America. The setup of the Z/28 is very similar. All of my cars had 100+ more RWHP, but all were running on 200 tread wear plus tires. The Vette Ring times are all on Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (please double check me) that are D.O.T. legal slicks. The ZL1 ran on the Camaro special GYs (double check me here). If the ZL1 had run on D.O.T. legal slicks it would have been 5 seconds faster.

My opinion and $3.50 will get you your next Starbucks.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #12422
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
I cribbed this from another forum, but it fits the geo-political/new Camaro conversation:

"If there's the capability to make (or store?) some LS7s for Z/28s, what are the chances of the same scheme for LS9s?!

Would a Farewell Edition ZL1-R, with an LS9 and those aforementioned carbon-ceramic brakes, be capable of enough "nuclear fission" to drive Kim Jung Un into complete and permanent disarmament?! He WAS educated in Dearborn and Auburn Hills, wasn't he?"
Plagiarism!
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #12423
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Not necessarily...

BTW, it written 4/1/13
Old 04-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #12424
JusticePete

LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Interesting thread. The purchase price assumptions make it difficult to get a good feel for what people will pay or perceive as a fair price. Would over 50 be acceptable with an LS9? My guess is you would find buyers for that car in that price range. Is 5K over the SS fair? Not unless there is enough meat on the bone to make it worth my while. I don't like badges and generally remove them from my cars. Maybe we should do another poll that asks would you buy a Z28 with yada yada yada at different price points with different equipment?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #12425
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

That was a good thought then...and a good idea to cause even more "fuss" now...
Old 04-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #12426
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Like I said Pete, I defer to your guesstimate. Your math and logic make very sound sense to me. I hope they take it over there. Probably an expensive trip but I'd love to see it. If it does run the kind of time you predict it may help justify the price they are likely to charge for this car.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #12427
sho928

Drives: Porsche 928 S4, Mustang GT vert
post per JusticePete

"My opinion and $3.50 will get you your next Starbucks"

Based on your well reasoned analysis the value of your opinion is being greatly undervalued.

The wild card in all of this is will the Z28 have sufficient ground clearance, suspension travel and control to manage a rough course like the Ring (Gingerman is smooth).
I would have to believe Team Camaro Engineers took that into account and the high tech shocks will be able to do miracles with limited travel.

My frame of reference is the GM Ring vids I just watched, the fastest vettes had to stay off the curbs (even with magnetic ride) while the ZL1 was amazing in that it could take half a car width of curb and not even shake the camera (as the vettes did on a slight touch of curb).
This ability allows the ZL1 to stay on the throttle and straight line the esses making curbs disappear under its suspension.
I say 11-sec faster than the ZL1 is possible with a risk taking driver like Jan Magnusson, but far from the comfort level of the ZL1
sho928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #12428
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
That was a good thought then...and a good idea to cause even more "fuss" now...

Quote:
Like I said Pete, I defer to your guesstimate. Your math and logic make very sound sense to me. I hope they take it over there. Probably an expensive trip but I'd love to see it. If it does run the kind of time you predict it may help justify the price they are likely to charge for this car.
IF it's that much faster, then I need to get my order in ASAP.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #12429
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

IF it's that much faster, then I need to get my order in ASAP.
According to Pete, 5 seconds is tires. That really makes the two pretty close.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #12430
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
According to Pete, 5 seconds is tires. That really makes the two pretty close.
7:41 was a hell of a run... if the Z/28 can do 7:39 even with tires I'll be extremely impressed.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #12431
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
The Trofeo R's will be roughly 2 secs faster on a given 2:00 track vs MPSC. That was my personal experience in the Porsche world on GT3's. The Trofeos are really sticky when run at proper psi (not over 31 hot). You can buy them through Big O Motorsport division on the west coast.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #12432
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
WAZZUP?

I was just talkng to someone about your Florida orange interior and teddy bear wheels..... good times
Uh huh... thanks for the reminder... My car will never need an air freshener...

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
The Trofeo R's will be roughly 2 secs faster on a given 2:00 track vs MPSC. That was my personal experience in the Porsche world on GT3's. The Trofeos are really sticky when run at proper psi (not over 31 hot). You can buy them through Big O Motorsport division on the west coast.
Welcome to the site and our little corner of "Z28"
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014