Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 10-23-2021, 11:01 PM   #1
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Odd oil filter leaking woes but lucky

I recently pulled in my drive after a night of racing at the track(ran a PB of 11.4x and pissed off a guy in a Tesla twice) to notice a trail and puddle of oil in the driveway but not where I had stopped to wait on my security gate to open at the entrance to my drive. Parked the car and no more oil drip. Checked the level and didn't seem to have lost much as the dipstick registered like it was full. Jacked the car up and wiped it down underneath everywhere oil had gotten. Looked around for a bit, no oil on the block, oil cooler didn't appear to be the culprit. Pulled the inspection cover off the bell housing and the flexplate and everything inside was completely dry, sigh of relief knowing probably not a rear main. Fired the car up with a tarp underneath it and immediate oil leak. Crawled under it and there was a pinhole in the side of the filter about an inch from the bottom oil was coming from. Counted my blessings and sighed again knowing it would be a simple fix. Odd part was had changed the oil a couple months ago and been to the track a few times about 40 miles each way, along with some around the area cruising. It is/was just a stock AC Delco filter, PF48 if I remember right. Curious if anybody has ever had this problem as in all my years I know I haven't but also used Fram filters for many of those years since that was what Dad always used and seemed to get 150k+ trouble free miles out of his vehicles before getting rid of them.
Thoughts anyone????
Old 10-24-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Damn you got lucky. Pin holes in oil filters are rare but it does happen at times. I’ve only seen it a hand full of time working for the dealership for 10 years. Any product can have a defect.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Appreciate it and truly could have been worse, feel like I must be living right!
$25 fix today with a K&N filter(like the 1" nut on the bottom) and topping it off with some Driven oil.