Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-13-2022, 01:21 PM   #29
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I dont think you need to change the injectors if the car has bolt ons. Would it be safer? Absolutely, but i think you’d be fine. Not sure what injector issues you are talking about though, mine have been fine. Just make sure if you do change injectors that you get good reliable data otherwise it’ll run like crap

I agree, rubber doesnt like alcohol. But did you try to find seals that can handle alcohol exposure or did you buy original Ford/reproduction gaskets?

I tried original ford and aftermarket. Remember though, original ford was built in the days of leaded gasoline and aftermarket is cheap overseas garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2022, 01:47 PM   #30
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
I dont think you need to change the injectors if the car has bolt ons. Would it be safer? Absolutely, but i think you’d be fine. Not sure what injector issues you are talking about though, mine have been fine. Just make sure if you do change injectors that you get good reliable data otherwise it’ll run like crap

I agree, rubber doesnt like alcohol. But did you try to find seals that can handle alcohol exposure or did you buy original Ford/reproduction gaskets?
Ok, so I'm confused. In post 15 you clearly state that you've changed your injectors to "GM Flex Fuel Injectors", but here you say you don't think it's necessary and that yours have been fine implying that you still have stock injectors. So which is it?

The issues I'm talking about have to do with flow rate and the codes they set on our newer vehicles. Not sure if your aware but the flex fuel injector has a pintle and seat made of a different material to prevent corrosion caused by the water in ethanol. Will a extra 5% alcohol cause a standard injector to fail sooner? My guess is yes......but what do I know
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 02:07 PM   #31
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
I might have missed it but did anyone decide if altering a tune would be necessary? Beneficial? Do any good at all? Except make tuners happy…
Old 04-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #32
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
Ok, so I'm confused. In post 15 you clearly state that you've changed your injectors to "GM Flex Fuel Injectors", but here you say you don't think it's necessary and that yours have been fine implying that you still have stock injectors. So which is it?

The issues I'm talking about have to do with flow rate and the codes they set on our newer vehicles. Not sure if your aware but the flex fuel injector has a pintle and seat made of a different material to prevent corrosion caused by the water in ethanol. Will a extra 5% alcohol cause a standard injector to fail sooner? My guess is yes......but what do I know
I changed mine because i wanted some extra head room. i am planning on adding a cam and doing some headwork eventually. The GM injectors i bought only offer an extra 8-9 pounds/hour of flow so its not a huge change. I changed my fuel pump to the ZL1 pump for the same reason.

Stock 42lb/hr injectors at 56psi can handle roughly 440 whp on e85 and thats about what most bolt-on set ups get to. That will be 85-90% of injector duty cycle so still safe.

Not sure on the metals in injectors, not sure i have heard or read of one getting messed up for running e85. Its possible it can get messed up i guess. Havent heard of any flow rate issues or codes being thrown, could be incorrect data related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
I might have missed it but did anyone decide if altering a tune would be necessary? Beneficial? Do any good at all? Except make tuners happy…
Highly doubt you need a retune. It puts the stoich from 14.1 to 13.8 so i would imagine the ecu can compensate via fuel trims. Remember you wont be FORCED into buying this stuff. Its just going to remain available through the summer and wont impact other fuels (87, 89, 91, 93) that are a 10% blend
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:33 PM   #33
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Our cars are not designed for 15% ethanol. The max is 10%.

That being said, when was the last time you saw 15% ethanol where you live? In my case, never.

The only change is that, where 15% has been offered in winter, it will now be offered year round. Stand down, snowflakes!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:05 PM   #34
Moto-Mojo

“Remember you wont be FORCED into buying this stuff. Its just going to remain available through the summer and wont impact other fuels (87, 89, 91, 93) that are a 10% blend.”

Choice and California are words that don’t often collide in the same sentence! But I’ll hope for the best.
Old 04-14-2022, 03:14 AM   #35
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
I changed mine because i wanted some extra head room. i am planning on adding a cam and doing some headwork eventually. The GM injectors i bought only offer an extra 8-9 pounds/hour of flow so its not a huge change. I changed my fuel pump to the ZL1 pump for the same reason.

Stock 42lb/hr injectors at 56psi can handle roughly 440 whp on e85 and thats about what most bolt-on set ups get to. That will be 85-90% of injector duty cycle so still safe.

Not sure on the metals in injectors, not sure i have heard or read of one getting messed up for running e85. Its possible it can get messed up i guess. Havent heard of any flow rate issues or codes being thrown, could be incorrect data related.

Highly doubt you need a retune. It puts the stoich from 14.1 to 13.8 so i would imagine the ecu can compensate via fuel trims. Remember you wont be FORCED into buying this stuff. Its just going to remain available through the summer and wont impact other fuels (87, 89, 91, 93) that are a 10% blend

E15, 88 octane, is sold at a few gas stations in my area, SW PA and WV.. It is available year round at those gas stations.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 03:24 AM   #36
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
It’s a $1.50/gallon cheaper here plus I like the power and clean burning aspect.
E85 is the same price as regular in my area. We're both in PA.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Old 04-14-2022, 05:56 AM   #37
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
E85 is the same price as regular in my area. We're both in PA.
That sucks. I go to a Sheetz off of I-78 and it’s drastically cheaper. We just had a Rudders open up with E85, but I don’t know the prices yet. We desperately need more stations that carry it as I have to drive 15-20 minutes one way to get to the Sheetz.

Edit- screen shot just now from the My Sheetz ap on my phone:
Attached Images

Last edited by Royal Tiger; 04-14-2022 at 06:45 AM.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #38
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbubba View Post
E15, 88 octane, is sold at a few gas stations in my area, SW PA and WV.. It is available year round at those gas stations.
Its also available year round in my neck of the woods, whats your point? Some areas probably have excess supply. Pretty sure they just stop making it in the summer because the corn is needed for food/livestock feed
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:14 AM   #39
Scotavo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Caprice PPV 2014 Caprice PPV
Your government punishes the poor and middle class in every financial way. Your cars are not the cars of the elite, so are targeted.
Scotavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:16 AM   #40
NOT A 45

Drives: 13 CAMARO 2SS LS3-04 SILVERADO LS3
Quote:
Its also available year round in my neck of the woods, whats your point? Some areas probably have excess supply. Pretty sure they just stop making it in the summer because the corn is needed for food/livestock feed
From what I've learned it creates more smog in the Summer months, that's why they don't use it.
NOT A 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:22 AM   #41
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Quote:
I made my point. E15/88 octane is available year round at every gas station that has an 88 octane selection on the gas pump in my area. The available does not go away during the summer. I use it whenever I can in one of my vehicles.
Old 04-14-2022, 08:24 AM   #42
Moto-Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOT A 45 View Post
From what I've learned it creates more smog in the Summer months, that's why they don't use it.
True. Which is exactly why it’s curious at best, and hypocritical at worst, for the ‘Green Party’ to be promoting this so called fix. As usual, it fixes little but the feel-good quotient is more important. Fill ‘er up and drive…