Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
qkslvr

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS M6 NON RS
which coil overs

So my wheels are being made as I type. They are going to be 20x8.5 front 6 1/4 backspacing, 20x10 rear 7 backspacing.

I am looking into lowering the car approx. 1.5" and plan to use coil overs.

The car is mostly just a daily driver, but once I get everything done suspension wise I will be doing some occasional road course racing as well.

So my question for you all is, what is the best bang for the buck LOL.

I am wanting adjustable height and stiffness in the coil overs

I have been researching different brands and just wanted some info from folks that have different items.

AGAIN. the car is mostly a DD with OCCASIONAL road course action.

I am not looking for top of the line, lightest stuff out there stuff..

thanks for any opinions posted
2016 Streetglide (Crushed Ice Pearl)
2018 Indian Scout (Bronze Smoke)
qkslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Do you have your foundation taken care of yet? Do you have bushings installed? Since you are a DD look into prothane or whiteline.

Coilovers, well that comes down to your budget. You have BC Racing on the low side, Pfadt on the High and KW a happy medium. Again, budget is key. Take a look at their warranties. That might help with your desicion.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
marolf101x

Drives: 2010 Test Mule
Warranty? How about 1,000,001 miles?
Ridetech
marolf101x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #4
qkslvr

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS M6 NON RS
foundation will be taken care of before coil overs are installed.

budget is something I want to keep in mind but more importantly dont want to over pay for something either. Pfadt is a little on the high side for me… seems to be more for folks that are dedicated to racing, where i am more interested in occasional racing and mostly DD
2016 Streetglide (Crushed Ice Pearl)
2018 Indian Scout (Bronze Smoke)
qkslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #5
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by qkslvr View Post
So my wheels are being made as I type. They are going to be 20x8.5 front 6 1/4 backspacing, 20x10 rear 7 backspacing.

I am looking into lowering the car approx. 1.5" and plan to use coil overs.

The car is mostly just a daily driver, but once I get everything done suspension wise I will be doing some occasional road course racing as well.

So my question for you all is, what is the best bang for the buck LOL.

I am wanting adjustable height and stiffness in the coil overs

I have been researching different brands and just wanted some info from folks that have different items.

AGAIN. the car is mostly a DD with OCCASIONAL road course action.

I am not looking for top of the line, lightest stuff out there stuff..

thanks for any opinions posted
A guy was selling KW V3 brand new a while back like 6 months ago for $1300 but he may have sold them by now.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

KW V1 Middle, KW V3 and Clubsport High end..... agreed. Great Warranty IIRC.
Downside, KW3's do not work with ZL1 sway bars because of the side oil canister.

Ridetech, great company but no one has put them on their car yet so no reviews yet. Some folks have seen them and said the "look" pretty but that does not help us much. I wouldn't mind putting a set on my car but I already have a set of coilovers and do not need two sets. But with the data I have at Autobahn CC with changes I have made to my car it would be interesting to see if they make any difference.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
Dyk-NO
Trust me I'm a Scientist.

Drives: My wifey ;P
I just recently installed Megan racing coilovers and my eibach front and rear sways. and my friend that has kw coilovers even said that it feels really planted and responsive and should I say it cost just half of what the top tier brands are. Love my coilovers maybe I'm biased but hey.

Mods: RotoFab CAI, SW Headers, HiFlo Cats, Borla Atak Catback, Nightfury Cam, Ported Heads,Intake,TB, melling pump, Morosso Oil Separator.
Dyk-NO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #8
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Downside, KW3's do not work with ZL1 sway bars because of the side oil canister.

Ridetech, great company but no one has put them on their car yet so no reviews yet. Some folks have seen them and said the "look" pretty but that does not help us much. I wouldn't mind putting a set on my car but I already have a set of coilovers and do not need two sets. But with the data I have at Autobahn CC with changes I have made to my car it would be interesting to see if they make any difference.

T.
T., the Ride Tech ones would be what I would pick right know without Pedders in the mix...I bought Ride Tech's Level 3 Coilovers for my 1956 Chevy 210 I am having built to Autox at Good Guys and if I had to replace my Pedders today, those are what I would buy for the Camaro...

Bret from Ride Tech was driving their 2010 Camaro at LS Fest in Bowling Green in the Autocross and I couldn't catch his time, so I think they gotta handle great...I think they have them priced well and love the warranty they offer...and unlike Pedder's who has left us without a warranty, Ride Tech has been around for a long time and they just keep getting bigger....
Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marolf101x View Post
Warranty? How about 1,000,001 miles?
Ridetech
RideTech are definitely worth considering. Besides the great warranty it is just a rock solid well designed package that performs and rides extremely well. We are getting ready to install a set on Paul's Camaro as soon as our schedule allows. I am considering putting a set on my 4th Gen SS as well.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:

T.
Sounds like you would be the perfect candidate to do some testing!

We have a set here we're going to test, but we won't be able to do so for about a month or so. I feel pretty confident that the RideTech coilover will be a great option; we won't know until we test them though.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
I wouldn't mind putting a set on my car but I already have a set of coilovers and do not need two sets.
T.
T, sell the Pedders before they leak. The ones I sold with only a few thousand miles started to leak for the guy that bought them. I replaced them with Pfadts, but now I worry about their customer service and ability to repair them in a timely matter. Already had a front one repaired after my little incident at the Autobahn last May. Pretty quick turn around then, but now?

Not only do you need to worry about quality of the product, but can the company repair/replace their parts in a reasonable amount of time. I know Ridetech been around for years. It would be nice to have a company that can take care of its customers in a timely manner.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
T, sell the Pedders before they leak. The ones I sold with only a few thousand miles started to leak for the guy that bought them. I replaced them with Pfadts, but now I worry about their customer service and ability to repair them in a timely matter. Already had a front one repaired after my little incident at the Autobahn last May. Pretty quick turn around then, but now?

Not only do you need to worry about quality of the product, but can the company repair/replace their parts in a reasonable amount of time. I know Ridetech been around for years. It would be nice to have a company that can take care of its customers in a timely manner.
For me, I'll keep my supercars till they crap out, if they do as most do not. I wont saddle someone else with a potential problem, Shame on pedders for bailing on us, wont buy from them ever again even if they come back to the U.S.as the warranty I have isnt worth squat now.
Ridetech sounds like a good option. I'll find out soon as a freind near me just got a set
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
T., the Ride Tech ones would be what I would pick right know without Pedders in the mix...I bought Ride Tech's Level 3 Coilovers for my 1956 Chevy 210 I am having built to Autox at Good Guys and if I had to replace my Pedders today, those are what I would buy for the Camaro...

Bret from Ride Tech was driving their 2010 Camaro at LS Fest in Bowling Green in the Autocross and I couldn't catch his time, so I think they gotta handle great...I think they have them priced well and love the warranty they offer...and unlike Pedder's who has left us without a warranty, Ride Tech has been around for a long time and they just keep getting bigger....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Tyler View Post
Sounds like you would be the perfect candidate to do some testing!

We have a set here we're going to test, but we won't be able to do so for about a month or so. I feel pretty confident that the RideTech coilover will be a great option; we won't know until we test them though.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post

Good points all. I even called down there today and spoke with Kyle about their product. I am seriously considering it.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 07:32 AM   #14
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
I wont saddle someone else with a potential problem...
Sorry, was more of a joke. Yeah I would not do that to someone knowing at this point it's money down the drain. In my mind, it's not a matter if the XAs leak, it's when.

I sold mine last May before this Pedder's business came up. The buyer contacted me about a month ago asking if I had the original receipt for warranty. He quoted some astronomical amount to get them repaired with BC parts.