Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Order Number Question (Did I Just Get Passed Over)

I feel silly asking this question. However, due to recent events (story below) I feel I must ask. Is the order number shown on the GM Order Workbench unique to a specific customer?

Disclaimer: The vehicle involved is not a Camaro. I am not a member of a Corvette forum. Hence, I'm posting here.

The Story
In January I decided to take a plunge and order a 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51 coupe. Before I placed the order, the dealer sales manager told me that he had allocations, but there were Z51 orders ahead of me. As you may or may not know, the Z51 was on constraint. I was in no hurry, so I placed my order and received my order number the following business day.
I would check about once every three weeks to find out if any of the customers ahead of me were able to get their orders filled. Of course I also checked Chevrolet's "Track Your Order" website throughout. In late April, my dealer informed me that he had just one Z51 allocation remaining for 2014 and there were still customers ahead of me waiting. I resigned myself to the fact that I would have to wait for a 2015 model, losing my price protection in the process.
Then, two weeks ago the dealer called to touch base. I ended up just going into the dealership to talk face to face. It was at this time that he told me the three orders ahead of me had either dropped out or were waiting for a 2015. He also told me there was a chance he would receive one more allocation. It would be mine for the taking.
Last weekend, for the heck of it, I entered my order number on the "Track Your Order" site and the status had moved to Qeued For Production! There was a problem though. I had ordered a 2LT in Blade Silver Metallic with a seven speed manual. What was showing on the site was a 3LT in Arctic White with the automatic. I checked and rechecked the order number. The following day I called the dealer for an explanation. He did not immediately have one. He said he was unaware they even had an order. I sent him the copy of my order, complete with my order number. He said he would look into it and get back to me.
Today he informed me that the order had been changed for a customer "ahead of me". First, he told me a little over a week ago that there were no customers ahead of me. Second, if there was a customer ahead of me wouldn't they have had their own unique order number? Why would they have to go into my order and change it to fill another customer's order?

Up to this point I felt the dealer has been up front and honest. This just doesn't seem right. Am I missing something?

I apologize for the long read.
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Yikes, this sounds like quite a mess here.

Just my thoughts, but it seems the dealer in question placed an order ("your" order number) at least initially. When the constraint was over and/or his allocation came through he may have called you then to say others had dropped out and you could have the 2014 spot. Perhaps either a) another dealer at the shop changed the standing order to fit another customers order when he saw they could put the order in or b) your dealer is full of it and is giving you the run around.

I would see if William of Chevrolet Customer Svc here on the C5 board can help you get an answer from this dealer.

Sorry, this sucks. Hopefully you will get your car in the end.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
VChula
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1996 Z28 SS & 2014 ZL1
When you checked your order number on the tracking site, did you also enter the state the dealer is located in as well?

(I say this because order numbers could possibly be recycled within the same model year since they only have 6 characters)
1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
2014 Camaro ZL1 Coupe #1956
VChula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Time to contact GM costumer service and explain what happen to your order
Just be cool , with smooth , very direct , clear wording choice
That will give you a very positive impression to the person on the Oder end off the line
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:34 AM   #5
BRMike

Drives: 2017 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by VChula View Post
When you checked your order number on the tracking site, did you also enter the state the dealer is located in as well?

(I say this because order numbers could possibly be recycled within the same model year since they only have 6 characters)
I am entering the state. The order is still assigned to the same dealer. It's just been changed from what I had ordered originally.
BRMike is offline   Reply With Quote