Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Paint peeling - Dealer issue

So, I have the paint peeling problem mentioned in a previous thread. I got a call from the local Chevy body shop today where my car is at.... and apparently the regional warranty rep is refusing to have the bumper repainted. They've instructed the dealer to only apply "touch-up" paint to the area... and will re-evaluate it afterwards.

If it's still not to my satisfaction, they will remove the bumper and sand it down and repaint (if the regional rep approves).

Does this sound right? The Bodyshop manager doesn't seem very happy with the decision either. He said they should be doing it "right" from the start with removing the bumper, sanding, and repainting.

The regional rep says that if the paints don't match, they may need to remove the side quarter panel also, and repaint that area to make sure it matches correctly, almost a paint blending.

Does anyone have experience with this? It's a damn simple problem that's been blown out of proportion. If the touch up makes the problem go away, and looks legitimate, I don't care. However, I don't want mismatched paint on my rear bumper, if that's the next route. Either way, it seems like the regional rep isn't being very cool about it at all.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
Get it repainted, blending is not the best choice. Stopping and ending at a seam is the best way. If it's a metallic, pearl, or both then touch up doesn't allow the metal flake or pearls to stand up and catch the light it ends up looking flat. The body shop is right get it painted.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM   #3
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
I did a search looking for your original post concerning this but nothing came up, I was hoping you had some pics in the other thread. Can you link the other thread? I assume this is faulty paint from the factory? Did you point it out at delivery time?

My experience with touch up paint is it will leave a slightly raised area of paint where the touch up paint is applied. If that's the case, I would find that unacceptable on a brand new car. If the rep. is willing to go the touch up route, he is already admitting there is a problem that warrants a warranty repair, so why don't they just paint it right the first time? Because they are trying to save money on the repair.

If they absolutely won't repaint the whole bumper the first time, let them touch it up, then tell them the repair is unacceptable on your brand new car and push to get them to fix it correctly.
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Verio
Taking it 1 day at a time

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
Send a message via MSN to Verio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Convertible View Post
I did a search looking for your original post concerning this but nothing came up, I was hoping you had some pics in the other thread. Can you link the other thread? I assume this is faulty paint from the factory? Did you point it out at delivery time?

My experience with touch up paint is it will leave a slightly raised area of paint where the touch up paint is applied. If that's the case, I would find that unacceptable on a brand new car. If the rep. is willing to go the touch up route, he is already admitting there is a problem that warrants a warranty repair, so why don't they just paint it right the first time? Because they are trying to save money on the repair.

If they absolutely won't repaint the whole bumper the first time, let them touch it up, then tell them the repair is unacceptable on your brand new car and push to get them to fix it correctly.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=35

Same issue as this person, exact same issue.

The dealership is going to meet with the warranty rep on Monday to see where we can go from here. To their credit... the bodyshop manager has to be one of the best people I've ever dealt with.
Verio is offline   Reply With Quote