Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Traction Control OFF... OMG!!! Hang on to your _______!!!

Edited in Dis-claimer
(Ok, First and Foremost, Due to the responses on this thread, I do not condone street racing or stunting a car on public streets... My intent in posting this was to relate a funny story... A side effect is hopefully some of you will learn that this car has way more power than most people can safely handle initially... The skills can be learned... but learn them in a safe area..... Jeeezzzzzzz..... )

Ok, I thought... man this car is quick... Getting on the interstate is not an issue... press on the loud pedal and hang on...

In a big parking lot, time for a little fun... push the button in front of the shifter a couple of time, yadda ydda yadda.... Pretty good burnouts little tire smoke occasionally... But... well... not that much more, if any, than my 71 Hemi Cuda did... But certainly an attention getter....

Two days ago, I'm reading a thread and several people mention "PUSH THE BUTTON AND HOLD IT FOR SIX OR SEVEN SECONDS" and turn everything off...."part of my start up routine"... "while I'm putting the seatbelt on..." and I think to myself whats the difference... Man I need to read the owners manual more...

I'm leaving Home Depot this morning, dry streets, no traffic, >>(ZERO, Nada.. it's a back road if you turn left ) and when I had started my car I remembered those comments, so.. I pushed and held the button.... Hmmm.... both lights are on indicating no traction control or launch assist or whatever... 90 degree turn out onto the road, i'm about 85 degrees through it and the clutch is fully out, in first gear, and I punch it.... %#^&@#$%&#$%&%*$%&^*&*)+_)%*% WTF.................OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG... Sideways, boiling smoke, ass end hanging out, I'm seeing my destination through the passenger window, screaming, (the car not me, I aint breathing so I can't scream, in joy or terror) bang into the rev limiter, shi.... stuff wanting to find a way out... oh yeah, gotta grab second, her hiney is coming back in line, grab second real quickly and Holy Shi... stuff... Jeeeezzzzzeeeeee... now her ass is hanging out the other way, and I sling the wheel from one lock to the other to keep from ground looping her...head swiveling, now I'm looking out the drivers side window. Stomp the clutch, jump off the gas and re-align the moon and stars.....can't breathe, thinking WTF......who swapped cars on me while I was in Home Depot for five minutes...

OMG, Thank You Thank You Thank You... Tommy T Squared and others for this little tid-bit of knowledge...

Retarded power and computer interferrence have been holding her back, and me obviously, or my lack of knowledge... Holy Crap... What a difference...I only thought she had power before... Wheres that dang hemi I used to own, I'll smoke that car...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...

Last edited by SSE 4 2SS; 02-13-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Disclaimer...
Old 02-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Haha. Nice write-up. Wish I was old enough to drive and could afford a Camaro.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:58 PM   #3
Rounki

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS IO Int.
Hey Robert, you joining us this Saturday in Austin? If so, let's not try to duplicate that on lime creek. hahaha

XS Power 1 7/8 LT Headers
XS Power 3" Cat Back
Vmax TB
ADM Street Intake
H&R Springs
Forgestar F14s
Tuned by HPT
Old 02-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounki View Post
Hey Robert, you joining us this Saturday in Austin? If so, let's not try to duplicate that on lime creek. hahaha
Edited in Dis-claimer
(Ok, First and Foremost, Due to the responses on this thread, I do not condone street racing or stunting a car on public streets... My intent in posting this was to relate a funny story... A side effect is hopefully some of you will learn that this car has way more power than most people can safely handle initially... The skills can be learned... but learn them in a safe area..... Jeeezzzzzzz..... )

I'm going to try and be there... No repeat performances, I'll be in the RJT 2SS with the shi* eating grin...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...

Last edited by SSE 4 2SS; 02-13-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
skipj3
Go Gators Baby!!!

Drives: '11 2SS M6
Dude! I am still crying from laughing so hard. that is awesome it has that much power!!!!

this write up reminds me of an email i got long ago about a guy who tasered himself with his wifes taser. i was crying then too!!!!!!

The Department of Redundancy Department
Old 02-12-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Hey Robert, don't feel bad as I did something very similiar the first week I had my Camaro. Sitting at a traffic light waiting to make a right turn onto the entrance ramp of the expressway. I remember reading about turning everything off so I hit the button and sure enough the lights come up on the dash. The red light changes to green and I start to make the turn and let the clutch all the way out in first gear, hit the gas....the next thing I know I'm sideways on the entrance ramp heading for the guard rail, I crank the wheel hard to the right to keep from hitting the rail. The car swings back to the right stones flying everywhere and now I'm facing back up the ramp I just came down looking into the eyes of the guy in the Chevy truck that was just behind me that is now in front of me. I can only imagine the terror in my eyes. The car does a complete 360 and about another 90 and now I'm in the grass off the right side of the entrance ramp about to go down the rather steep embankment. I turn the wheel back to the left and slowly motor back onto the ramp.

By now all the traffic that was behind me on the ramp is stopped and everyone is staring at me, smoke still in the air from my burning tires. The smell of rubber in the air was nothing compared to the smell of crap in my pants. I sat there for a few seconds and the guy in the pick up truck pulled up next to me and asked me if I was OK. I told him I would be OK when my heart rate got back nder 500. Then he said "looks like the car has more power than you can handle"...OMG how embarrassing but at least I didn't hit anything.

There was no way I was going to post this when it happened several months ago because I thought I was the only dumbass....no offense but I'm not alone! You won't touch that traction button to turn everything off again for a long time!

What a rush huh!

Russ
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 AM   #7
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
favorited this thread. I'll probably add to it if I find an empty parking lot and have some free time.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #8
MacTruck

Drives: Camaro RS
Good God. Sooooo..... don't turn off the nannies?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #9
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
WOW!!!...what a ride!!!...good stuff!!!...thanks for sharing your experience with us
Old 02-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #10
MrE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Woohoo! Empty parking lot, here I come!
Delivered to customer 11/24/09 - Happy ever since.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
If your guts are at home, yes, dont turn off the nannies.

I've gotten sideways by surprise once or twice =)
Old 02-13-2010, 12:47 AM   #12
Chevyg1rl

Drives: Chevys
GREAT STORIES!! ...
Old 02-13-2010, 12:51 AM   #13
C4
ERNEST

Drives: 2012CAMARO 1LT RS CONVERTIBLE
bad azz story
Old 02-13-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
Atti2de
Móderator

Drives: 2SS/RS
My wife yelled at me for doing that same thing while following her into our neighborhood. May have been cause the kids were with me though and there was sceaming in the camaro too. My three year old boy screaming " go go go" and my seven year old girl just sceaming.

Closed Thread