Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-12-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
Batwomanfl

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro RS
Thumbs down Feeling Betrayed!! FOB Key Recall

I'm not really happy with GM Chevy either in the way they handled my 2014 Camaro Key issue. My Keys look just like the one pictured above now. I feel GM has just cheapened my Car (2014 RS Camaro) that I paid 33,000.00 for and it's really making me consider whether I will ever be a GM customer again. You see I was raised on GM and in the past 10 years I came back to GM after staying away for 20 years, because I felt their products had been cheapened with the Chevette, Cavalier, Monte Carlo, and earlier Malibu (Hated the body styles). In the past 10 years I've owned several GM cars along with other make and models of other cars. I've owned 2 Cadillac CTS, and 1 SRX, and a Saab (Which I lemoned Law). When I returned home from the Army in 1987, I bought my first Camaro (1977) and I've owned 2 others (1994-1995). I was really excited about the new body styles of the new Camaros 2010-2014, but I didn't really like the interiors of the 2010-2013 (Retro looking) so I waited until GM came into the 21st century with the infotainment system (Touchscreen) currently in the 2014. I thought also since all of the recalls on the other GM vehicles and their key ignition issues, mine would have avoided the same problems, but of course I was wrong!! And I then thought GM would step up to the plate "Not just fix the problem, but maybe install I dunno an ignition switch that would accommodate the current Key setup, but NOOOOO GM went backwards separating only the keys from the original housing unit!!!!!" REALLY????? And the Keys NOW feel SOOO Cheap. GM should've stepped up a fixed the issue to make the customers happy, because we were inconvenienced by a faulty ignition to begin with not cheapen our cars with Cheap feeling Keys!! I have a 2013 Dodge Journey with "Push Button" start and I feel my car is not of the same or better quality than the Dodge. I'm starting to regret coming back to GM!! Maybe I should have bought the Dodge Challenger instead. I dunno know if I'm going to keep this car or not, but I may not come back to GM for another 20 years until they get their act together.
Batwomanfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:10 AM   #2
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
You will grow to love your car.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:25 AM   #3
Destructo09

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/LS3
If you didn't like the way the recall was done why did you have them swap your keys?

I tore up my recall letter when it came in a few days ago, no weirdo fob for me

Also, this recall was a knee jerk reaction by them, there was never an issue with the ignition in these cars. They only separated the key and fob because it was possible to hit it with your knee. There was no real safety issue here unless you drive with your knees very close to the key.
1LE rear sway bar
SRP Racing Pedals
Hurst Billet short shifter
Square tire/wheel setup
Elite Engineering Catch Can
Stainless Power longtubes/highflow cats
K&N Typhoon CAI
RPM Motorsports of Garner, NC dyno tune (421 RWHP)
Destructo09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:38 AM   #4
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
If you didn't like the way the recall was done why did you have them swap your keys?

Also, this recall was a knee jerk reaction by them, there was never an issue with the ignition in these cars. They only separated the key and fob because it was possible to hit it with your knee. There was no real safety issue here unless you drive with your knees very close to the key.
+1. You gave them permission to do it right? They won't be getting my keys.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:51 AM   #5
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post

Same here. They won't be getting my keys.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I for one don't see the problem ,just tell them you want your key fob unmolested . Simple as that . I have just ignored the recall and if and when I do go to the dealer ,I will explain to them in a way they can understand to leave my key fob alone .
Old 09-12-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
OP, just buy youreself a few of this keys have them cut and programed and youre back to the normal keys.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/13500222-Fac...570a3c&vxp=mtr
Old 09-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
I plan on keeping my switchblade.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #9
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
....and feed them rice.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
it is just a key im sure that the value of the car and its heritage wont be struck down for not having a volkswagen switchblade key.
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #11
Batwomanfl

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro RS
Thanks Guys for all the replies

To answer the question of one poster "If I didn't like the Recall, why did I give up my Keys." I felt as though I didn't have a choice and by not giving up the keys when there was a Recall, I felt as though they (GM) could say I voided the warranty or something to that affect. Or lets say if something happened to me or my family and I sued them, their lawyer couldn't come back and say " Well you refused to have them fix your Key FOB when there's was a recall."
Batwomanfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:00 AM   #12
tom231

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I recently had my Camaro in for an oil change at my dealer. The service writer said it had a recall on the keys.... I said no thanks. He said no problem and laughed it off. It was that simple to say no to this dumb recall.
tom231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #13
benji276289

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS1LE, 6 spd.man., Ora
Send a message via Skype™ to benji276289
OP...I think you are possibly over reacting to of all things a "key"? Your car is 99.99999999% ad infinitum the reason you purchased it, not the "key". Having said that, so glad I opted to keep the switchblade .
benji276289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
notmidlife

Drives: 2014 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_LoW29 View Post
it is just a key im sure that the value of the car and its heritage wont be struck down for not having a volkswagen switchblade key.
Completely agree ! It's just a key, you know the thing that starts and unlocks the car. I had a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta with this style of key and never thought it was all that cool, it didn't really matter either way because it was just a key. It reminds me of the SNL skit where William Shatner tells the trekkies in the audience to get a life.

Do I love my car....YES, which is why I do not want some dealership mechanic taking apart my steering column to change the ignition. It is not very often that these guys do a great job with re & re of interior. A different key will be just fine. Enjoy your cars folks !
notmidlife is offline   Reply With Quote