Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Warlace

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Knocking and Whistling on start up. 2010 SS

Just venting so bear with me.

So on and off for the past few years, I have heard some knocking/whistling noises going on during start up and sometimes 20 mins - an hour later after driving. I have taken it in to the dealership multiple times with videos and such but each time they tell me they could not duplicate or its normal operations.

Well last night after school, when I started up my car, 2010 Camaro SS, it was knocking pretty loud. The 20 minute drive home seemed to have no effect, as when I pulled into the garage it was very loud. I took a video and uploaded it to youtube. This morning when I got up, I checked the oil levels and all is fine, I barely drive maybe 10 miles a day if that since I only go to school 4 days a week. Started it up and it was knocking again and whistling loudly. So off to the dealership I went. Unfortunately about 5 mins down the road the knocking slowly went away but the whistling was a random come and go.

I dropped the car off this morning and played the video for my service rep and he just told me, "ya that sounds bad but we have to duplicate it in shop so they will keep it for a few days and see what happens." oh and it might not be covered by the powertrain warranty since I just went 400 miles over my 30k warranty. I find this hard to believe since I took it in multiple times for the same problem it just now sounds worse. Haven't had many problems with my Camaro, but it seems when I do, they try to make me feel like I'm an idiot or it's no big deal. I'm not asking for a new car, I'm asking to fix the problem.

My wife has a Nissan and any time we bring her car in for something, they take it seriously, offer a "Loaner" NOT a rental a LOANER, if she needs (could be her big boobs, still not sure on this) and ALWAYS fix it or have a solution to w/e the issue may be. Never have they said, "sorry couldn't duplicate have a nice day" or "that's normal". Even when she said she heard a vibration noise while driving on the moon roof, they gave her a loaner right away, called her later that day that they ordered new rails and parts and it will be ready in 2 days. No hassle or anything.

Anyways, I see alot of posts on Lifter Ticks and the TSB, which I showed to the service rep and he just kinda was like "Ya i know my job". Maybe its the Military in me, but I'd rather fix the problem now and do the right thing, which seems to replace the Lifters, but it seems they really don't want to and just wait till they seize up and find some way for me to pay for it.

Hope the link below works, thanks for listening to me vent.

Warlace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
The video doesn't work for me. This is a common problem with the Auto SS.
I would call GM Customer Service. Isn't the power train warranty 5 years &
100.000 miles. ? I know your in Vegas but isn't there another Chev dealer nearby ?
Also, how often do you change your oil ? I'm on my 6th oil change in 4 years with
under 30,000 miles just because of this lifter problem and have never heard a sound.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Warlace

Ya, I'm in Vegas, Ed Bozarth is just down the way from my house. Also I just had the oil changed in March and only put about 1500 miles on it and before that was last summer. I have 30483 miles on it. I keep hearing people say to go to Fairway, that they are WAY better, but its on the other side of town.

The service rep even told me it would be $130 if they find nothing wrong and has nothing to do with the Powertrain. I was like there is NO way I'm paying $130 for you to say, "Sorry could not duplicate".

Sorry, had the video set to Private, Changed it to Public.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hello Warlace,

I would be happy to assist in a resolution for you! I know it can be frustrating when the dealer cannot duplicate the issue. If you could send a private message with your name, address, phone number, VIN, vehicle mileage, and name of involved dealership, I can research further for you. Thank you!

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlace View Post
Just venting so bear with me.

So on and off for the past few years, I have heard some knocking/whistling noises going on during start up and sometimes 20 mins - an hour later after driving. I have taken it in to the dealership multiple times with videos and such but each time they tell me they could not duplicate or its normal operations.

Well last night after school, when I started up my car, 2010 Camaro SS, it was knocking pretty loud. The 20 minute drive home seemed to have no effect, as when I pulled into the garage it was very loud. I took a video and uploaded it to youtube. This morning when I got up, I checked the oil levels and all is fine, I barely drive maybe 10 miles a day if that since I only go to school 4 days a week. Started it up and it was knocking again and whistling loudly. So off to the dealership I went. Unfortunately about 5 mins down the road the knocking slowly went away but the whistling was a random come and go.

I dropped the car off this morning and played the video for my service rep and he just told me, "ya that sounds bad but we have to duplicate it in shop so they will keep it for a few days and see what happens." oh and it might not be covered by the powertrain warranty since I just went 400 miles over my 30k warranty. I find this hard to believe since I took it in multiple times for the same problem it just now sounds worse. Haven't had many problems with my Camaro, but it seems when I do, they try to make me feel like I'm an idiot or it's no big deal. I'm not asking for a new car, I'm asking to fix the problem.

My wife has a Nissan and any time we bring her car in for something, they take it seriously, offer a "Loaner" NOT a rental a LOANER, if she needs (could be her big boobs, still not sure on this) and ALWAYS fix it or have a solution to w/e the issue may be. Never have they said, "sorry couldn't duplicate have a nice day" or "that's normal". Even when she said she heard a vibration noise while driving on the moon roof, they gave her a loaner right away, called her later that day that they ordered new rails and parts and it will be ready in 2 days. No hassle or anything.

Anyways, I see alot of posts on Lifter Ticks and the TSB, which I showed to the service rep and he just kinda was like "Ya i know my job". Maybe its the Military in me, but I'd rather fix the problem now and do the right thing, which seems to replace the Lifters, but it seems they really don't want to and just wait till they seize up and find some way for me to pay for it.

Hope the link below works, thanks for listening to me vent.

Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
Warlace

Sent you a PM. Hope it helps.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Sounds like a lifter tick to me, but videos over the internet can be deceiving too. You have a 5yr. 100k mile powertrain warranty. If that noise is a lifter, I don't see why it wouldn't be covered. Go to another dealer. Sounds like to one your going to now just doesn't want to be bothered with this.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Pro Street

Drives: 2SS/RS
Have your wife take the car to them!!!! LOL!!! J/K

CamaroFest II-III-V
Pro Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Warlace

Of course, dealership response, "Can we keep it another night and try again in the morning? We can not duplicate. Sorry we just cant go off your 41 sec video."

3 days no car, no loaner or rental, they don't trust our word, but suppose to trust theirs. /sigh Such a headache.