Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-09-2009, 02:34 AM   #169
bootchug

Drives: z
Why can't we all just get along?

It's for sale too.

http://my350z.com/forum/cars-for-sal...rice-drop.html
bootchug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:43 AM   #170
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Dude is that a 350Z with an LS2!!!!!!!
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #171
SyN

Drives: Future 2010 Camaro
I got tired of reading everyones post so this might have already been mentioned...

Anyways, Didn't a pro drifter saying something about the new camaro and that he thinks it's going to be a great car to drift.. that being said I don't think the 370Z is going to be all that superior to the Camaro in twisites. Obviously mods will be done to both cars in that sense.. I mean look at the one pro drifter who uses a Mustang and has won in it.

In the end even if the 370Z is better in twisties than the camaro both cars being stock.. you can change that with mods.

Which car do you like best is what it comes down to IMO.
SyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:15 AM   #172
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Vaughn Gitten Jr. and his Falken Mustang which puts out more smoke than any other car on the circuit.

This year, the aussie Rhys Millen won in his Pontiac Solstice. Nice little car that is.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #173
Matrix

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS & Magnum R/T
There is much to be said about additional HP.

IMHO it will be a close call 0-60, after that the additional HP of the Camaro will play a big part in pulling away. I mean in about 5 seconds your not going to go that much of a distance. Once you gain higher speeds you NEED a LOT of HP to go any faster.

The 370z's lightweight body will give it a lil advantage MAINLY at the start hence it matches the 0-60 of the Camaro. After that phase, sorry but it will be Camaro ALL the way. Just do the maths! Once the 370z has used up all of its 330+HP where does it go?

The Camaro still has 90 odd ponies left out to pasture ready and waiting for the kill!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:08 AM   #174
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
There is much to be said about additional HP.

IMHO it will be a close call 0-60, after that the additional HP of the Camaro will play a big part in pulling away. I mean in about 5 seconds your not going to go that much of a distance. Once you gain higher speeds you NEED a LOT of HP to go any faster.

The 370z's lightweight body will give it a lil advantage MAINLY at the start hence it matches the 0-60 of the Camaro. After that phase, sorry but it will be Camaro ALL the way. Just do the maths! Once the 370z has used up all of its 330+HP where does it go?

The Camaro still has 90 odd ponies left out to pasture ready and waiting for the kill!
The camaro ss will beat the 370z to 60 not match it.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #175
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Man, there are alot of people who are blind out there...I'm getting a camaro, so yeah, I'm partial, BUT these cars are in the same league...forget # of seats, forget # of cylinders, forget small differences in skidpad, 1/4 mile, 0-60 etc forget all that, this is America home of the stoplight drag race...when someone is out for the first time in their new SS and they pull up next to a Z (who since it has been out longer may have several mods done to it), and the SS owner may get shamed. They ARE close in performance...sure I will mod my SS such that the Z owner is gonna need MAJOR stuff to out run me 1/4 mile, but alot of SS owners won't...I'd really have to say probably less Z owners will mod than SS owners (to me the Z is attracting a different buyer, dare I say a more sophisticated buyer, or maybe I should just say, one who is less likely to mod...if nothing else by reason that there is not nearly as strong an aftermarket, performance wise).

On a road course, I think the disparity will be even less. All those numbers really don't paint the whole picture...weight plays a big part in handling, braking AND acceleration...if the SS brakes don't fade on a track I will be very surprised. Hopefully, it will mimick the CTS-V track experience, which was flawless for the amount of weight the car carries. Even with that though, the Z car really is purpose designed for a road course. The shrunk the car in diminsions, because they new they were going to have to add hundreds of pounds in safety equipment and air bags, the end result was minimal weight gain over the 350Z. Add that to a more powerful motor and revised chassis tuning, and you have a tighter, better handling, better performing car.

Do you really plan to use the back seats?? I mean yeah, we have them in the SS, but to me, they are only for kids and emergencies, If you dont' get that, wait til you get a little older. I mean, there is no way, my 70 yr old dad will be climbing in the back to go for a ride, much less to go out to dinner. And I can't imagine any of my friends wives wanting to go to dinner or take a trip having to climb in the back at every stop, they'd just say, well let us drive our SUV instead. So saying the camaro is more practical, is like saying Bill Gates is richer than Warren Buffet...come on the front seats will be used 85% of the time for most of us out there (kids being the exception).

If I weren't buying an SS I would certainly consider a Z. It is very small, that I don't like, it would be a little claustraphobic in there for me, but I think it would be an outstandingly fun car to drive. People who are "hugging" the camaro need to get a grip and realize there ARE cars out there that will be close in performance, price, fun-to-drive factor etc, and the comparisions are FAIR. We made our choice to get a camaro, no reason to need to defend that, we'll all be happy with our cars and people who buy something else will be happy with what they have...Just don't try to race me in your 370Z...because I wont be stock and I WILL blow your doors off, but until then, I'll just have to crack you with my Trailblazer :-)
Old 01-09-2009, 08:35 AM   #176
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
Bro the BREMBOS wont fade!!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #177
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
^^ What???
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #178
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I have a buddy who has an 09 Infiniti G37...6 sp manual....and he can run 5.0 0-60 times.....gets about 26 on the highway....with his 6 cylinder engine.

Impressive, to say the least. That car is awesome!
Dakota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #179
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmd View Post
Man, there are alot of people who are blind out there...I'm getting a camaro, so yeah, I'm partial, BUT these cars are in the same league...forget # of seats, forget # of cylinders, forget small differences in skidpad, 1/4 mile, 0-60 etc forget all that, this is America home of the stoplight drag race...when someone is out for the first time in their new SS and they pull up next to a Z (who since it has been out longer may have several mods done to it), and the SS owner may get shamed. They ARE close in performance...sure I will mod my SS such that the Z owner is gonna need MAJOR stuff to out run me 1/4 mile, but alot of SS owners won't...I'd really have to say probably less Z owners will mod than SS owners (to me the Z is attracting a different buyer, dare I say a more sophisticated buyer, or maybe I should just say, one who is less likely to mod...if nothing else by reason that there is not nearly as strong an aftermarket, performance wise).

On a road course, I think the disparity will be even less. All those numbers really don't paint the whole picture...weight plays a big part in handling, braking AND acceleration...if the SS brakes don't fade on a track I will be very surprised. Hopefully, it will mimick the CTS-V track experience, which was flawless for the amount of weight the car carries. Even with that though, the Z car really is purpose designed for a road course. The shrunk the car in diminsions, because they new they were going to have to add hundreds of pounds in safety equipment and air bags, the end result was minimal weight gain over the 350Z. Add that to a more powerful motor and revised chassis tuning, and you have a tighter, better handling, better performing car.

Do you really plan to use the back seats?? I mean yeah, we have them in the SS, but to me, they are only for kids and emergencies, If you dont' get that, wait til you get a little older. I mean, there is no way, my 70 yr old dad will be climbing in the back to go for a ride, much less to go out to dinner. And I can't imagine any of my friends wives wanting to go to dinner or take a trip having to climb in the back at every stop, they'd just say, well let us drive our SUV instead. So saying the camaro is more practical, is like saying Bill Gates is richer than Warren Buffet...come on the front seats will be used 85% of the time for most of us out there (kids being the exception).

If I weren't buying an SS I would certainly consider a Z. It is very small, that I don't like, it would be a little claustraphobic in there for me, but I think it would be an outstandingly fun car to drive. People who are "hugging" the camaro need to get a grip and realize there ARE cars out there that will be close in performance, price, fun-to-drive factor etc, and the comparisions are FAIR. We made our choice to get a camaro, no reason to need to defend that, we'll all be happy with our cars and people who buy something else will be happy with what they have...Just don't try to race me in your 370Z...because I wont be stock and I WILL blow your doors off, but until then, I'll just have to crack you with my Trailblazer :-)
The Camaro isn't at the top of the ladder, but it certainly isn't near the bottom. Some of the cars in the 300-350 hp range will be putting up some big numbers. Let's not forget that the Cobalt SS is a top performer to compete, not dominate, above its class. In other words, there are a lot of cars in between the performance of the base Focus and the Camaro, and the Camaro can take a lot of them, but some of them will give us the runs, not unlike those tacos I'll probably have for lunch.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #180
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Folks, I've only quickly viewed the thread, and it appears to be a good discussion.

That being said, I've also noticed a few comments which border on "out-of-line."

PLEASE!!!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #181
CrownR426

Drives: 06 Infiniti G35S TT
Hey guys, I've been looking at this thread and it's very interesting...
You all say that the Camaro will destroy the Z?
The z is shorter, lighter and faster than before.
Not to mention it's handeling has improved!
+ it's leaner figure compared to the bulky Camaro.
But don't get me wrong the Camaro is a beast with it's V8.
Remember the Z is only a V6 and it's a threat to all Camaro drivers!
I just hope that GM doesn't disappoint me as usual with their crap parts and poor engineering.:(
CrownR426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #182
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownR426 View Post
Hey guys, I've been looking at this thread and it's very interesting...
You all say that the Camaro will destroy the Z?
The z is shorter, lighter and faster than before.
Not to mention it's handeling has improved!
+ it's leaner figure compared to the bulky Camaro.
But don't get me wrong the Camaro is a beast with it's V8.
Remember the Z is only a V6 and it's a threat to all Camaro drivers!
I just hope that GM doesn't disappoint me as usual with their crap parts and poor engineering.:(
Most people on here agree that the Camaro will not "destroy" the Z so I'm not sure where you get the "you all" comment from. Most of us agree that the performance is going to be close between the two.

Apparently you haven't noticed, GM's quality has gone up sharply in the last several years. This isn't my opinion, it's been stated by numerous sources such as consumer reports, jd power, the auto mags, etc.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote