Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #29
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
If you think you're going to

A. Get into the nines cheaper in the zl1 than in a gt500
B. Run 9s more reliably than a gt500

You are kidding yourself. The 500 will make more power with less mods and be safer (engine wise) at a given output.

The 500 is undeniably the superior drag platform. Stronger motor, bigger blower, less weight, SRA.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #30
81z28355

Drives: 81 Z28
Send a message via AIM to 81z28355
LOL at this entire thread.

deepest pockets always wins, just pick the car you would like to get beaten in the most. Always a faster car and driver.
81z28355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #31
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81z28355 View Post
LOL at this entire thread.

deepest pockets always wins, just pick the car you would like to get beaten in the most. Always a faster car and driver.

That is it right there. $$$ = speed

I would venture to say very few if any modded GT500 or ZL1 can touch this car.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=sst

At close to 1500 HP (with room for more boost to add even more power) and it is tubbed for a 335 tire it should easily crush either car while spinning the tires the whole time.

I can only venture on the amount of money spent. Just guessing I bet the drivetrain was the cost of a ZL1/GT500 all by itself. (Heck the engine was likely over 30 grand.) Oh and the car is 100% streetable with a full interior. The build log is worth the read. One amazing car.

But from my chair how can it beat a ZL1 or GT500 it is only a SS. <jk>

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #32
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Did christianchevell get banned, or did He just give up?

I'll give christianchevell some free advice. Christian, here is what you should do. Once you are actually in possession of a 9 second time slip (from a 1/4 mile dragstrip), come back here and tell everyone how much money, time and effort it took to achieve that. Then you can tell everyone how close to stock your car feels, drives and sounds. After that, you can check in on this board (every two or three months) and let us know how much time, effort and money it takes to maintain a regularly driven, 9 second street car. Please educate us on how "easy" it is to run 9's in a regularly driven street car.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:15 PM   #33
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
Did christianchevell get banned, or did He just give up?
There were a lot of posts deleted :eek:
Old 09-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yes and of course he forgot that you have to set the gears just right shimming and torquing and mesuring or else the rear end can grenade. He also is apparrently using the cheapest headers and exhaust available as good stainless are like $1500 especially if you want good cats or even to reuse them... and a good exhaust $1200+ And dont forget to buy a nice wire feed welder to put it together or you have the problems of those dang breaking header to exhaust gaskets when you scrape accidentally. And he missed a idler relocator possibly, different belt, and a real comfortable driveway to jack it up and weld around the x pipe and various sections you have to join together or.....use muffler clamps....

Franlky this was to get attention to livernois and thier excellent package which I found to be the best deal in all my researching. And yes I of course researched buying a gt 500. Frankly the zl1 is just by far a better deal and much cooler looking and original in my opinion. I am sure hordes of the mustang faithful will worship it and the 200k + a gt500 super snake. And then theres those of us who would spend 270k and buy a fleet of zl1's.

And the cam is it that agressive that it will wear the springs out in two years? I dont think so......its coming with good springs and a cam etc etc and I did not think it that high of a lift.........I have had a lot of cammed engines and never had springs go bad quickly. I have had a cam wear out once from sticky lifter bores due to a block needed its align honing better on the bores....they wore down within a month.
And of course seperate drag radials are required.

Those goodyears are spendy but they are not all that ......frankly I am going for pirellis because I am in the northwest for street driving. I just doubt that they can be put on at the factory for extra money......And since I am in tight with my les schwab they will do me a good trade with some extra cash. I know it is going to take some good cash, But the smiles will be worth it for this old vet. And frankly I have not watched back to the future movies in years and years....

I did happen to laugh my A off at a couple ricers racing by my work Truck the other day. One little green honda crx with really bad rear camber and little ricer rims sticking out like a mexican....

daring some guys black honda with front end damage at a stop light....He was revvvvving his engine and got his but kicked.......lol And his car back fired like five times out his big honda boy exhaust.......Man it made me laugh I wish I could have shown it to you all.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #35
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Oh gee page one was nice then I did not notice the bunch of Ford fans on the next page....Oh my they need to get a life and a less expensive car because dollar for dollar yes the zl1 will whoop on the gt 500....And yes of course he with the most money to spend more money and therefore can win if built right. And my last post was for the nice chevy guys.....not his latest group...someone say send in the clowns?
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #36
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Oh gee page one was nice then I did not notice the bunch of Ford fans on the next page....Oh my they need to get a life and a less expensive car because dollar for dollar yes the zl1 will whoop on the gt 500....And yes of course he with the most money to spend more money and therefore can win if built right. And my last post was for the nice chevy guys.....not his latest group...someone say send in the clowns?
I hope you aren't still talking about drag racing here.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #37
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Yes and of course he forgot that you have to set the gears just right shimming and torquing and mesuring or else the rear end can grenade. He also is apparrently using the cheapest headers and exhaust available as good stainless are like $1500 especially if you want good cats or even to reuse them... and a good exhaust $1200+ And dont forget to buy a nice wire feed welder to put it together or you have the problems of those dang breaking header to exhaust gaskets when you scrape accidentally. And he missed a idler relocator possibly, different belt, and a real comfortable driveway to jack it up and weld around the x pipe and various sections you have to join together or.....use muffler clamps....

Franlky this was to get attention to livernois and thier excellent package which I found to be the best deal in all my researching. And yes I of course researched buying a gt 500. Frankly the zl1 is just by far a better deal and much cooler looking and original in my opinion. I am sure hordes of the mustang faithful will worship it and the 200k + a gt500 super snake. And then theres those of us who would spend 270k and buy a fleet of zl1's.

And the cam is it that agressive that it will wear the springs out in two years? I dont think so......its coming with good springs and a cam etc etc and I did not think it that high of a lift.........I have had a lot of cammed engines and never had springs go bad quickly. I have had a cam wear out once from sticky lifter bores due to a block needed its align honing better on the bores....they wore down within a month.
And of course seperate drag radials are required.

Those goodyears are spendy but they are not all that ......frankly I am going for pirellis because I am in the northwest for street driving. I just doubt that they can be put on at the factory for extra money......And since I am in tight with my les schwab they will do me a good trade with some extra cash. I know it is going to take some good cash, But the smiles will be worth it for this old vet. And frankly I have not watched back to the future movies in years and years....

I did happen to laugh my A off at a couple ricers racing by my work Truck the other day. One little green honda crx with really bad rear camber and little ricer rims sticking out like a mexican....

daring some guys black honda with front end damage at a stop light....He was revvvvving his engine and got his but kicked.......lol And his car back fired like five times out his big honda boy exhaust.......Man it made me laugh I wish I could have shown it to you all.
Where did the super snake come into this?
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #38
ZZZ

Drives: 10 SS Camaro
This thread is retarded run stock 11.5s without drag radials and the Camaro 5 forum ass grabbing you with "thought that counts bullshit than get at me"

The GT500 Evo made can run 9s for around 10k with no nitrous or gear swaps how do I know? Because after I made the thread asking about a ZL1 vs a CTSV I started seriously researching the tuning capability of the new GT500 and was pleased. Chances are I will trade in for it next year if I can order one around late Fall still.

The only challenge will be finding a way to mod it both in the 9s while adding changes that allow its weight advantage to beat the ZL1 around the turns.
ZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #39
MarcInUtah
Banned

Drives: Mustang(s)
I am laughing so hard at this guy's post and his reactions to other people's rebuttals. I honestly think he don't read a thing you guys post.
MarcInUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #40
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
I was looking at some u tube yesterday and saw a couple gt-500's in the nines....Knowing that I want a livernois build to get there just for kicks I went to the tuner sites for the gt-500 to see what they did to get into the nines.

SO I read they both went with 123 mm throttle bodies to pump more air fuel mixture, And they both went to three inch exhaust with x pipe and they both went with headers. And they both went with pulley changes to add even more boost. No mention of idler change etc......

Also I read they both changed the rear end to 4.10 gears and gave them a nitrous shot. Both of therse moves remind me of Biff Tanner in the "back to the future" movie when he drives that big 4wd truck up to michael j. fox at the stop light and revs his engine to race.

If this is what the ford tuners do I would gladly do a " back to the future" turn to another road to get away from them.

Being a old hot rodder there are things I know I will not go to the trouble of doing because they suck. Like take a engine allready running a lot of boost and shove nitrous in to it. I like to be street- strip, not captain insano.

And the second thing I definitely would not do is shove 4.10 gears in instead of 3.31 gears stock so I could go faster on the track but run at 6000 rpm driving 65 on the freeway. I like to daily drive my car.

Thats why I can really say a nice super chiller and a livernois build make so much more practical my choice to get to nines, and much more streetable the zl1 with all its cushy options the gt-500 does not have, and I can take all the extra money the ford guys will spend going to the nines and buy a economy car too if I really want one.....lol like I need another car. A livernois build will suit me just fine thank you very much

And then I can do nines for less with out being desperate like some Biff Tanner ford fanatic whose company just happened to match chevies 6.2 liter engine with a 1.9 liter supercharger by doing thier own math......5.4 liter..over bore new sleeves= 5.8 liter + 2.3 liter supercharger.

Coincidence...or the smell of desperation? Smells like burnt engine to me.
To each his own. If your way makes you happy, great. If others seek another path, who are we to judge?

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #41
9secs

Drives: some
Quote:
Still so wrong... Dollar for dollar these cars mod almost the same... Stop living in your one sided world and at least learn about the other car before you try to down play it. Yes this is a chevy site, but there are those of us who can appreciate and respect the other cars out there when they deserve it, and anyone saying the gt500 doesnt deserve it is clearly in denial.
9secs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #42
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101fng View Post
unfortunately OP, my post was a little on the derogatory side and got deleted. sorry.

you are arguing the reliability, repeatability, and affordability of two MODDED cars, and from your post it is apparent that you still have a lot to learn about "hot rodding."

you're also taking those 9 second runs out of context. those shops that you referenced are always competing with each other to be the "first into the 9's, 8's, etc". they don't care about "streetability". all they want is quick mods that will get them to the 9's before the other shop. yes, nitrous ontop of copious amounts of boost is dangerous, but to them, it's an easy way to get the title of "first into 9's" as long as it lasts for that one 9 second run.

and as any REAL hot rodder should know, there's more than one way to skin a cat. it's their build, not yours. i can promise you beyond any shadow of a doubt, that these shops are fully aware that there are other ways to mod those cars to run the times they want to run. i'd like to see how you mod your zl1 to run 9's if you were given a week timeline (doing it yourself like these shops are doing). until you have a 9 second slip in your hand, you have ZERO room to criticize the way another person mods their vehicle of choice. you sound exactly like that typical ricer that always has "a friend" that knows a guy with a 1200hp supra.
Reliability and streetability absolutely plays a part in the game. Sorry, but one pass in the 9's is not worthy of mentioning if it cannot maintain for a reasonable time frame. Also when comparing builders, who cares who gets there first. When comparing times apples to apples, I and I assume many others would pay a large premium to have the reliability and streetability vs. not. Running 9's on the stock driveline and stock suspension without NOS is pretty darn amazing. Running 9's with rebuilt suspension, NOS and 20lbs of boost at the cost of streetability is respectable at most.