Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #1401
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
I want a road course car because it is more useable on the street and highway. I want handling in a car. I want to enjoy twisty roads and calmly take corners at high speed. If Chevy won't give me a fine tuned road course credentialed car then I will have to go back to thinking about BMWs.

Otherwise I would buy a pickup with a big engine.

Last edited by wakespeak; 07-25-2014 at 03:36 PM.
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #1402
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
I must say GM needs to get their head in the game with commercials.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #1403
2doorrocket

Drives: Gas Guzzlers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
The ZL1 has a section in the manual covering proper operation and maintenance at the track and strip. Performance Traction Mode (PTM) and Launch Control.

If you misuse the car (such as deploying an air bag) I can see where you would have a problem.

Go to 1:50 mark on this video and hear Al Oppenheiser himself say if you blow the motor at the track it will be covered.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284728

So are you saying the 707 HP with a warranty Hellcat cannot be raced?
Actually GM's field engineer and a district rep and executive customer care has noted that if you're taking it to the track as a hobby you're good to go, as soon as a flag is introduced and you're competing with the car there is no warranty.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2016 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme
2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

Previous Vehicles:
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat (RIP)
2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T 392 Scat Pack Shaker
2013 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Viper GTS Launch Edition
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2013 Dodge Charger SRT
2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2012 Dodge Charger SRT
2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
2doorrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #1404
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorrocket View Post
Actually GM's field engineer and a district rep and executive customer care has noted that if you're taking it to the track as a hobby you're good to go, as soon as a flag is introduced and you're competing with the car there is no warranty.
How does it work with the Hellcat? It's claim to fame is 707 HP, 10.8 car with warranty. If you can't drag it, it's kind of like giving a kid a big wheel but not letting him take it out of the box.

On this thread, SRT fans have been very dismissive of modified cars because of warranty. I would say most of us (any brand) are hobbyist and not competing.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:54 AM   #1405
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
You are posting on a Camaro forum so it surprises me that you find it difficult to believe people here value a car with track capabilities. Chevy values, you know...

Perhaps you'd find a more receptive audience in SRT land?
So this forum is only for cars with track capabilities? I wasn't aware ,and I've been here since 09. I didn't buy my ZL1 for that reason. I bought it because it has 580 Hp that is comfortable enough to enjoy on the street. Now that Dodge has out done us in that department all the sudden we turned into a forum of road racers. The funny thing is that it may even beat us there too. That has yet to be seen. I'm talking about the ZL1 too not the Z/28.. I don't see the Z/28 as a street car but rather a purpose built car for the elite.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:55 AM   #1406
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorrocket View Post
basically the same thing someone from ford said, you can go to a track and test it, but if you use it to compete against other vehicles you are screwed. All back and forth talk
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #1407
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Mopar will need to update their policy now that they have dared people to take their cars to the track, they may have that in the works if not I see that being an issue.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #1408
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 View Post
Just for curiosity went down to the Dodge dealer where I live. I told them I was interested in a Hellcat. Guy said on the phone he understood I didn't want to pay over MSRP. They said they had two invoices for cars that were ordered. Anyway to make a long story short there is a 5K mark up on the cars they are getting. I live in Ontario Canada. Doesn't the consumers protection act protect against this in Ontario???? Any Canadian guys in Ontario experience this. I got a discount on both ZL1's that I bought, and I was luck to get my GT500 for invoice.

And Canadians from Ontario out there?
There is an MSRP law in Ontario...which can be circumvented by the dealer merely licensing the vehicle as a Demo. At that moment, the vehicle is deemed "Used", and a used vehicle can be sold for any price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
nor does GM. Look at fellow members incident with the air bag deploying and they will not cover it.
Physical accident damage, however caused by the owner, is NEVER covered under warranty.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #1409
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
So this forum is only for cars with track capabilities? I wasn't aware ,and I've been here since 09. I didn't buy my ZL1 for that reason. I bought it because it has 580 Hp that is comfortable enough to enjoy on the street. Now that Dodge has out done us in that department all the sudden we turned into a forum of road racers. The funny thing is that it may even beat us there too. That has yet to be seen. I'm talking about the ZL1 too not the Z/28.. I don't see the Z/28 as a street car but rather a purpose built car for the elite.
No. You're the one laughing at people that do value the track capabilities of the ZL1 or do track the car.

I've seen post after post from you and others saying no one tracks their car. That its all about 1/4 mile and street racing.

Times change. The ZL1 is a sophisticated piece of engineering that enables it to track faster than lighter, more powerful cars. It's owners value, and are proud of that

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #1410
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post

Physical accident damage, however caused by the owner, is NEVER covered under warranty.
From my understanding in his thread he said it deployed as he went around a turn not incurred an accident and that the air bag can deploy if it sees enough force. How is that a physical accident damage? He never touched anything.

Quote:
On this thread, SRT fans have been very dismissive of modified cars because of warranty. I would say most of us (any brand) are hobbyist and not competing.
One of my big reasons for wanting a factory car with 700+ HP is I can have it covered under warranty. My modified camaro not much if anything is still covered under any warranty and since it is my daily commuter it would be nice to have a warranty and power.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #1411
STOCK1SC

Drives: 2012 Charger
Quote:
Bravo sir! I've been saying this along with a few others for a while now, it seems there are just a lot of people so blinded by brand loyalty they can't admit someone might have built something better. Reminds me of the good old days when ricers would put up hp per liter comments to negate the fact they couldn't hang with an LS1. Or the Ford guys complaining that the LS1 was physically bigger than their 4.6 was. I remember back on another message board where everyone was making fun of Ford for putting an IRS into the Cobra and saying how a solid rear was so much better for putting the power down, then when the gen 5's came out the story changed and suddenly irs was sophisticated and uplevel. I call it like I see it, I have no brand loyalty, I've owned several Camaro's, Mustang GT, Cobalt SS, Gran Prix Comp G, SRT4, Charger. I get what I like not what brand X offers me and not consider my options elsewhere. As to road racing I doubt 10% of the people on these boards has autocrossed their car and that is being very optimistic. The ZL1 is the slowest of the big 3 on the street, the ZL1 is the fastest on a road course after x number of laps. I'd hate to see what excuses would be made if the ZL1 wasn't good taking turns. I can't remember the last time i ever heard anyone on the street brag about how quick they can go around a corner, sorry but you are grasping at anything you can if you believe that. Most people buy these cars and use them stop light to stop light, just a fact. Be butthurt all you want but most people buying these cars could care less about autocross, if they did they would just buy a miata and stuff and engine in it.
STOCK1SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #1412
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Well I just did a very unscientific scan of the ZL1 forum within this site. It took me until page 11, for anything track related to come up in the titles. There were however 25+ threads which mentioned modifications for straight line performance or ¼ mile conversation. So again what is the focus of the ZL1 for the majority of actual owners?
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #1413
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
You made the wrong choice. The GT500 has a lot more power.

The Z/28 is for those who want a Z/28. A max effort roadracing version of the Camaro. This is what the original RPO Z28 was. If you were expecting it to be anything other than an original Z28 type car, you didn't do your homework. The real race version, the Z/28.R is available at a starting price of $250,000, but you will want a lot of the options.

And I'm not sure a 500HP lightweight version of the Camaro isn't worthy to run against a ZL-1 at the strip. The results aren't in. 3800lb and 450+ rwhp will go pretty quick if you know how to row.

I'm willing to be that if mine ever actually arrives, I will beat most, if not all, the ZL-1 magazine ET's with a stock Z/28. We beat ALL the magazine review times with a stock Z06 back in 2002/2003. Often by a full second. MT said 12.85. They really did. Wifey clicked a 11.95@114 at California Speedway in 2002. Not known to be a fast track, and into the wind.

We used to race the Corvette Challenge, a drag series for vettes. We usually finished 1st or 2nd in low ET. Many of the cars were built, many had superchargers. Very few were owned by serious dragracers. Many never saw an 11 ET, even with more than 600rwhp.

Never discount what a manual transmission and a bad attitude can accomplish in the right hands.

Obviously everybody with any seat time in a late model musclecar is going to be hunting newbies with Hellcat. It was like when everybody was hunting Vipers. A good running Fbody could clock a Viper who's driver had limited seat time.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 PM   #1414
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Mopar will need to update their policy now that they have dared people to take their cars to the track, they may have that in the works if not I see that being an issue.
Perhaps the warranty limitations are a factor in the $60,990 MSRP.

The hardest part of offering 700+ HP for any OEM is having confidence to back it with a warranty.

Check at time mark 4:15. Al had two engineers whose job in life was to try and make the ZL1 fail. They never failed a half shaft or diff. I'm sure that is the 600 consecutive clutch dump design validation for the drivetrain.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQtF35ZN-sw

Ronald Reagan -

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt