Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #1415
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
You made the wrong choice. The GT500 has a lot more power.

The Z/28 is for those who want a Z/28. A max effort roadracing version of the Camaro. This is what the original RPO Z28 was. If you were expecting it to be anything other than an original Z28 type car, you didn't do your homework. The real race version, the Z/28.R is available at a starting price of $250,000, but you will want a lot of the options.

And I'm not sure a 500HP lightweight version of the Camaro isn't worthy to run against a ZL-1 at the strip. The results aren't in. 3800lb and 450+ rwhp will go pretty quick if you know how to row.

I'm willing to be that if mine ever actually arrives, I will beat most, if not all, the ZL-1 magazine ET's with a stock Z/28. We beat ALL the magazine review times with a stock Z06 back in 2002/2003. Often by a full second. MT said 12.85. They really did. Wifey clicked a 11.95@114 at California Speedway in 2002. Not known to be a fast track, and into the wind.

We used to race the Corvette Challenge, a drag series for vettes. We usually finished 1st or 2nd in low ET. Many of the cars were built, many had superchargers. Very few were owned by serious dragracers. Many never saw an 11 ET, even with more than 600rwhp.

Never discount what a manual transmission and a bad attitude can accomplish in the right hands.

Obviously everybody with any seat time in a late model musclecar is going to be hunting newbies with Hellcat. It was like when everybody was hunting Vipers. A good running Fbody could clock a Viper who's driver had limited seat time.
Well, that was my first choice but it wasn't meant to be. So I went with the next best thing. And really, after riding in and driving both I would have to say the ZL1 is the nicer street car, and now it looks like dodge has merged the two into one fine street car.
You keep bringing up your abilities and accomplishments and I respect them. But how do they relate hear? It's only common sense that a better driver will make any car perform better.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-25-2014 at 01:52 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #1416
Wezbad1

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2001 Viper GTS
Quote:
A good running Fbody could clock a Viper who's driver had limited seat time.
You must be talking about a '92 Viper with a couple of spark plug wires missing.
Wezbad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #1417
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezbad1 View Post
You must be talking about a '92 Viper with a couple of spark plug wires missing.
Naw, I think Ron had a 2000 Viper?

It all started when I was posting about 3 different Viper Kills with a "stock" 2000 Camaro SS.

Ron (SoCal Rebell) finally had enough and the Shootout at Famoso was scheduled. About 50 guys and dolls had driven from all over SoCal to see who's motor was as big as their mouth. And we BOTH had big mouths.

It became a thing of legend. One of the more famous Internet Smack Downs that year.

The Camaro was internally stock, stock exhaust, CAI, DOT drag tires, pump gas only. As was the Viper.

http://www.qualityinspection.com/Pat/viper.mpg

It only took a 12.52@111 on the first pass have him concede. He didn't want a second dose. Ron is great guy, and it was a lot of fun. He is a very good roadracer.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #1418
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by macwest View Post
From my understanding in his thread he said it deployed as he went around a turn not incurred an accident and that the air bag can deploy if it sees enough force. How is that a physical accident damage? He never touched anything.
Whose accident? Video evidence? One accident video I saw DEFINITELY had physical impact, although relatively lightly. And the "lil black box" onboard would tell "the rest of the story".
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:58 PM   #1419
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
I dunno but I buy the car that looks the best to ME. Love the Camaro styling, with the Chally in second, and Mustang just doesn't do it for me. They are all going to perform well, so I'm not worried about the 5% chance I'm at a stop light against a faster car, and if its faster oh well, I'm still driving a car that I love to drive. I think the chally styling will grow stale in a few years because they didn't change much on it. Still a bad ass car that I wouldn't mind owning. The ZL1 is still one of the coolest looking muscle cars on the road IMO, and has more power then I will probably ever use.

If I wanted a car that will run 11s in the 1/4 I would get a hellcat, but personally that's not what its about for me, and probably most of the general population.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #1420
McRat

Drives: 2010 ZR1 "Satan"
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
You keep bringing up your abilities and accomplishments and I respect them. But how do they relate hear? ...
Because I've watched the parade, and driven the floats.

The Hellcat wasn't the first OMG!!! car. Many of them, nobody even remembers anymore. Because the HP Wars are still going strong. Even the Hellcat will be forgotten eventually.

Many things still hold true today as they did decades ago.

Like you mentioned, seat-time is often more important than ad campaigns, mfr claims, and brochure HP.

Buying a Hellcat is not going to buy you an 11 second timeslip. You will still have to earn that. Most people get discouraged or embarrassed with their first attempts, and retire from the strip.

Lastly, the guys who don't hide in shame from a 13 second slip, often go on to mod their cars and put in the seat time. That 10.80 claim from Dodge will be surpassed fairly soon after hotrodders get their hands on them.

But imagine if you read the forums, and hear of guys running 10's with their Hellcats, and many owners are struggling in the 12's. And it will happen.
2010 ZR1 "Satan" no times yet.
2013 Volt SCCA Solo2 #771 HS3.
And a bunch of Duramaxes.
McRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #1421
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Home Vid of the Hellcat

rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #1422
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
Whose accident? Video evidence? One accident video I saw DEFINITELY had physical impact, although relatively lightly. And the "lil black box" onboard would tell "the rest of the story".
I know there has been a few. the one thread that spun up a number of conversations was this one below. There was no impact and no accident

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164403)
Old 07-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #1423
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Because I've watched the parade, and driven the floats.

The Hellcat wasn't the first OMG!!! car. Many of them, nobody even remembers anymore. Because the HP Wars are still going strong. Even the Hellcat will be forgotten eventually.

Many things still hold true today as they did decades ago.

Like you mentioned, seat-time is often more important than ad campaigns, mfr claims, and brochure HP.

Buying a Hellcat is not going to buy you an 11 second timeslip. You will still have to earn that. Most people get discouraged or embarrassed with their first attempts, and retire from the strip.

Lastly, the guys who don't hide in shame from a 13 second slip, often go on to mod their cars and put in the seat time. That 10.80 claim from Dodge will be surpassed fairly soon after hotrodders get their hands on them.

But imagine if you read the forums, and hear of guys running 10's with their Hellcats, and many owners are struggling in the 12's. And it will happen.
No doubt for sure. Dragracing is my background so I know first hand what you are saying and agree completely.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #1424
pcrdude

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 M6
I love reading threads like this!!!!

I have a Honda CR-V, and here's the performance data:

2006 CR-V AWD
0-60: (AWD) 9.9 sec
1/4 mile: 18.3 sec
Engine: I4 – 2.4 L DOHC 16 valve
HP: 156 hp @ 5900 rpm / Torque: 160 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm (2006)
5-Speed AT
Fuel Economy: (AT-4WD) 22/27 mpg

When I get in my 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3, it feels like a rocket.

Just guess what it the Camaro feels like compared to the FJR pictured below?

Everything is relative, so enjoy the ride, and the 21st century HP wars!!!! Life's good people!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 03:37 PM   #1425
Chevrolade
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Too many people worried about the hellcat
My car be like Here kitty kitty kitty
Chevrolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #1426
crysalis_01
Iron fist, lead foot

Drives: 2003 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolade View Post
I agree, everyone that's "worried" about Hellcat is most likely the type who just like "on paper" bragging rights. Just as your car, apparently, won't have issues taking a stock Hellcat, there are plenty of cars that'd eat your Camaro alive, but I'm sure you don't give that two thoughts. Why? There's always something faster. To all: Mod if you want. Enjoy what you have. Most importantly, let the next guy do the same.

Here's not to HP or TQ...but to the smile piloting your machine, whatever it is, brings.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #1427
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolade View Post
I don't think so.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #1428
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
There is an MSRP law in Ontario...which can be circumvented by the dealer merely licensing the vehicle as a Demo. At that moment, the vehicle is deemed "Used", and a used vehicle can be sold for any price.

Physical accident damage, however caused by the owner, is NEVER covered under warranty.
Is that the consumers protection act? They are selling new unplated for that.
The dealer is Oakville Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram Ltd.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt