Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #1
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
V6ers! CHECK YOUR OIL! Step inside...

Some of you may have noticed my thread about my motor breaking, my entire bottom end is being replaced as it threw a bearing on cylinder #4.

No abuse, oil was changed on time, NO mods at all.

All I can say is if you would like to avoid your motor blowing up I'd suggest you check your oil at least weekly!

Until I get my mess sorted out I'm not disclosing everything my tech said but all I can tell you guys for now is CHECK it! Even if you have been getting regular oil changes you still need to check it, it may be lower than you think...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
pfft... isn't that what the 'Oil Light' & pressure tac is for?

Just kidding, thanks for the heads up! I'll check it in the morning before I start it.
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0rPs View Post
pfft... isn't that what the 'Oil Light' & pressure tac is for?

Just kidding, thanks for the heads up! I'll check it in the morning before I start it.
Mine was 2 quarts low with no warning...
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
sexystreetmachine
Go Baby, GO!!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 1968 SS, 1993 Z28
wow whats the deal with these V6's toasting rod bearings??
Old 10-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Where's it going if it's not on the ground? I don't like where this is heading.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
lets_go_bills

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
lets_go_bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Supposedly, it's getting burned off in the engine and going out the tailpipes.
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Sc0rPs

Drives: 2010 2LT / RS - 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexystreetmachine View Post
wow whats the deal with these V6's toasting rod bearings??
All new award winning V6 engine... bound to have some issues that can only be seen in mass production.
Sc0rPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The V6 is an awesome engine, but due to the EPA emmissions laws they are one of the worst for oil ingestion into the intake air charge. Any engine will damage bearings with low oil levels (even if the low oil light is not on) as there are moments of aeriation and starvation that the sensor wont catch or you may not notice momentary oil pressure drop but it is enough to do damage. The key is to check often. A good oil separator added will prevent the oil into the intake, but most won't reduce the oil use, just trap it to keep it out of the intake.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
I check mine periodically, very periodically, like every couple months. Never been low yet. I'll keep an eye on it. 12,500 miles and 3 oil changes so far.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The V6 is an awesome engine, but due to the EPA emmissions laws they are one of the worst for oil ingestion into the intake air charge. Any engine will damage bearings with low oil levels (even if the low oil light is not on) as there are moments of aeriation and starvation that the sensor wont catch or you may not notice momentary oil pressure drop but it is enough to do damage. The key is to check often. A good oil separator added will prevent the oil into the intake, but most won't reduce the oil use, just trap it to keep it out of the intake.
If what your saying is right then everybody should be having the same problem. They all have to follow the same EPA standards. So it can only go two ways as far as I'm concerned. Either a design flaw which you say is incorrect or everyone's motors will do the same thing under the current EPA Rules. I guess the LS3 and the L99 will eat oil also since they are under the same guidelines. Sorry but using the EPA is a cope out to me.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
meschwenk

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I check mine every time I fill up with fuel.
meschwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Quote:
If what your saying is right then everybody should be having the same problem. They all have to follow the same EPA standards. So it can only go two ways as far as I'm concerned. Either a design flaw which you say is incorrect or everyone's motors will do the same thing under the current EPA Rules. I guess the LS3 and the L99 will eat oil also since they are under the same guidelines. Sorry but using the EPA is a cope out to me.
GM is not alone, and I agree, it is an excuse as they can design them to not have this issue IMHO. The LS2-3 solution of the highly baffeled vally cover fixed orfice vent has helpped, but a side effect is the excess pressure that at times builds up causing a small amount of oil ingestion through back-flow into the air bridge as it is on the verge of being to restrictive to properly deal with crankcase ventalation.

The Mercedes Kompressor 4 cylinders are horrendous as you can pour oil out of the intake baffles (We dissasemble the SC unit and machine the snout housing down so a smaller pulley can be installed), and look at the Ford mod motors.

Very few GenIII & IV's will not ingest oil into the intake air charge (any catchcan, even a beer can w/two fittings in it will catch a good deal of this oil).

Allthough I have yet to build one of the new V6's, just adding the CAI's and such has shown staurated air boxes (the intake snout slopes down so in runs back into the air bridge at rest) even with only a few thousand miles on them.

The real issue IMHO is that the manufacturers seem to feel the majority of car owners are just that, owners, not enthusiasts as we are and they will never complain as they are just a bunch of sheep that drive to work/shopping/etc. and don't ever get so close & in tune to their cars like we do so they take all that into the R&D & cost to impliment a good solution.

The sad thing is the V6 owners that don't monitor the consumption issues are going to have spun bearings, etc.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Ok, but why are some v6's showing up low on oil and some are not?
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote