Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
SSpartan117

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss/rs
Steering wheel squeak when weather is cold outside

Hey Camaro brethren,

I have noticed this winter that my steering wheel squeaks when turned when the weather is below 45 outside. It only does this when the car is cold and it goes away after it warms up. The squeak sounds like its coming from the steering column. I am still under warranty so I plan on taking it back to the dealer (this time with video evidence) since the last time they had it, they said they were unable to replicate the sound. Any of y'all experiencing this? Any idea what it could be? I'm hoping it either something that was over tightened with my last alignment or something that needs to be lubricated. The idea of replacing major steering components scares me a bit since this is my DD
SSpartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #2
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Wow...I was just about to post the same thing! It's been happening for the last two weeks. I got under the car at the gym parking lot tonight to see what the hell was going on! Didn't see anything out of place either!

Anybody experience this also?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #3
D2junky

Drives: 2014 AGM 2SS/RS
Its a GM thing. Every single one my family owns and ones I have driven all do it. Nothing wrong with the car just one of the quirks of owning a GM. Two Buick Enclaves, one Traverse, my previous 2010 Camaro, 2005 GMC 3500, 2000 Denali and I'm probably missing one....but they have all done it. Haven't heard it in my 2SS/RS as the weather has kept me from driving it more than 3 miles since I've owned it.
D2junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
RADAR

Drives: 2012 2SSRS/M6 SIM
My steering column has been doing this for some time now. Has anyone found out the problem?
Old 07-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
ENV US

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green RS, 1999 Camaro
Same issue with my 2011 v6. Dealer replaced the rack. All fixed. D2junky: I have owned over 30 new GM vehicles and over 20 new GM company cars, this is the first time I have ever had this issue.
ENV US is offline   Reply With Quote