Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 08-26-2021, 10:17 PM   #1
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Random no start

2016 SS here. She’s got over 100k miles on her and within the last few months she’s decided to develop starting issues. Now the entire time I’ve had the car it’s has the slow start issue I’ve seen threads on here about. The starter actually fried itself and my fuse block back in July. We got it back and it drove fine for another month before it started in on this random no start stuff. I also noticed the car shuts itself off when it’s been sitting at idle for an extended period of time. Not sure if that’s related to the starting issues or not. It’s been at the dealership 3 times for this now. We’ve replaced starter, fuse block, fuel pump, and one of the modules for the fuel pump. Tonight it once again decided not to start even though it’s been running fine for the last two weeks. I’ve ordered the ground cable in hopes it may help something but curious if anyone else has had any of my similar issues and found a fix. I’m very close to taking this car and trading it.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Has anyone addressed the heat shield that was updated after your production year? I’d suspect your getting your fair share of heat soak without the shield.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:20 PM   #3
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
In addition to the heat shield, you could also try the extra ground cable approach: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586153.

While my 2018 didn't develop the infamous starter heat soak issue, hot starts were noticeably more of a struggle, so I did add a new ground cable. It improved hot start times and made them feel easier on the starter.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:10 AM   #4
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Has anyone addressed the heat shield that was updated after your production year? I’d suspect your getting your fair share of heat soak without the shield.
Nope. Didn’t know it was updated. But I’m going to now!
Old 08-30-2021, 09:54 PM   #5
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Added ground strap and took battery in. They said the battery was low but still a good battery. They charged it up for us. The car started with no issues for two days. Drove it earlier today and it was fine. Tonight- no start. Again. I’m so tired of this car leaving me stranded.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I'm so sorry to hear this. These slow crank/no start situations are so sad. I wish you had seen the thread about adding a ground cable last December when I posted up my great success with that solution for slow cranking. It has been a godsent to me as I was about to trade the car. I will not tolerate a car I can't rely on to do something as simple as start.

Now that you have a reasonably new starter plus all the other new parts plus now the extra ground cable - I would suggest a new battery. A battery that tests low in these cars is asking for trouble. Maybe give it one more try with a fresh battery before you send her to the auction block.

Good luck!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:24 AM   #7
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
Look at replacing the relays for the starter in the fuse box under the hood.
There is two for the starting system. Big and small one...
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I'm so sorry to hear this. These slow crank/no start situations are so sad. I wish you had seen the thread about adding a ground cable last December when I posted up my great success with that solution for slow cranking. It has been a godsent to me as I was about to trade the car. I will not tolerate a car I can't rely on to do something as simple as start.

Now that you have a reasonably new starter plus all the other new parts plus now the extra ground cable - I would suggest a new battery. A battery that tests low in these cars is asking for trouble. Maybe give it one more try with a fresh battery before you send her to the auction block.

Good luck!
The battery is pretty new. Not even a year old.
Old 08-31-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall17 View Post
Look at replacing the relays for the starter in the fuse box under the hood.
There is two for the starting system. Big and small one...
Fuse box is new (they come with new relays and fuses in them) but I have a bunch of relays from my automotive days and I’ll try replacing those to cause you never know.

Talked to another mechanic today and we’re both leaning towards electrical issues. I have a few more things I’m gonna do with him. This whole situation just sucks though. I love camaro but man I’m ready to dump this one like a bad one night stand.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:35 AM   #10
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Update: car still doesn’t start. Had some time to poke at it. Pulled the connector off the chassis control module that the dealer said they replaced and found the connector burnt. Two terminals melted. More reason to make me mad…. They had to have seen it unless there tech is that awful. Guessing after the fuel pump come back they found that connector and didn’t want to pay for the fix so they threw a module at it instead due to it being cheaper than a wiring harness. Trying to figure out how to post a picture for you all… but wondering if I can get the terminal number if anyone has access to the wiring diagrams and can tell me where my toasted terminals goes. Also looking for after market suggestions for a connector. I’m trying junkyards right now but my area doesn’t get many newer vehicles let alone Camaros.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #11
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven_is_inferno_orange View Post
Update: car still doesn’t start. Had some time to poke at it. Pulled the connector off the chassis control module that the dealer said they replaced and found the connector burnt. Two terminals melted. More reason to make me mad…. They had to have seen it unless there tech is that awful. Guessing after the fuel pump come back they found that connector and didn’t want to pay for the fix so they threw a module at it instead due to it being cheaper than a wiring harness. Trying to figure out how to post a picture for you all… but wondering if I can get the terminal number if anyone has access to the wiring diagrams and can tell me where my toasted terminals goes. Also looking for after market suggestions for a connector. I’m trying junkyards right now but my area doesn’t get many newer vehicles let alone Camaros.
For the aftermarket connectors Ballenger Motorsports is my first go to suggestion.

https://www.bmotorsports.com/

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #12
Back To Pray

Drives: Fireball 700
I’m having a no start issue and diagnostic code:
U0109 Lost Communication with Fuel Pump Control Module
It’s super random and seems to have some sort of correlation with humid weather.. but idk
The dealerships I’ve taken it to either don’t want to service it or they don’t fix the issue.
B&R Performance is scheduled to look at it next month.
Back To Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:44 AM   #13
Vodkapocalypse

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Have you heard anything in relation to the shut off at idle? I have a 2019, and I thought the shut off at idle was a feature. It has happened to me 3 times, all at about 45 minutes. Pardon my ignorance, but I am a new Camaro owner.
Vodkapocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 07:27 PM   #14
gingercar-61

Drives: 2020 ILS Camaro
I have a 2020 v-6 car with 22,000 miles on it, auto. trans. . I recently had a no start with the fob in my front pocket. Took it out after pushing the start button about 20 times and put in the cup holder area then it started. Drove 10 miles put gas in and it fired right up. After no start i had a theft detterent light on dash but went off after i put the gas in. One time i was idling through a parking lot and just as i went to turn into a parking place it died.
gingercar-61 is offline   Reply With Quote