Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
murrayjw

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Whipple SC Install next week

So after many months of going back and forth, I finally decided on the Whipple 2.9L SC for my 2010 SS. My installer talked me into a significant fuel system upgrade to run E85 fuel (readily available where I live) because it runs cooler than 91 Octane and this will prevent an early death to my LS3. Does that seem right? The fuel upgrade (new a dual pumps, fuel lines and ZL1 injectors) is $3k. Is it worth it?

$10K for the SC install (with tune) and another $1.8K for a spec clutch and I just spent $15K on my daily driver! I'm not looking to run it on the track, I just want some serious excitement on the road! Not to mention, I recently had my doors blown off by my brother's stock ZL1! I currently have 1-7/8 long tube headers, Corsa exhaust, cold air intake and a mail order SCT tune, but otherwise it's stock.
murrayjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:32 AM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Welcome to C5..

Hope you keep us updated as your build progresses. Also, lots of smart folks around here if you have any questions.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
jvoisel

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayjw View Post
So after many months of going back and forth, I finally decided on the Whipple 2.9L SC for my 2010 SS. My installer talked me into a significant fuel system upgrade to run E85 fuel (readily available where I live) because it runs cooler than 91 Octane and this will prevent an early death to my LS3. Does that seem right? The fuel upgrade (new a dual pumps, fuel lines and ZL1 injectors) is $3k. Is it worth it?

$10K for the SC install (with tune) and another $1.8K for a spec clutch and I just spent $15K on my daily driver! I'm not looking to run it on the track, I just want some serious excitement on the road! Not to mention, I recently had my doors blown off by my brother's stock ZL1! I currently have 1-7/8 long tube headers, Corsa exhaust, cold air intake and a mail order SCT tune, but otherwise it's stock.
A GOOD tune will determine how long the LS3 lives. You'll make more power, safer on E85. Keep it safe and don't run it on the edge, and you'll be fine with either fuel.

The whipple kit is ~$7500, dyno tune $500-$750, so ~$1750 for labor to install the blower.

$3k in fuel isn't bad, depending on what you're getting.. LPE twin pump system is $1000, ZL1 injectors only maybe $300.. $1500+ still on the table for install/misc parts?

Depending on which clutch you get, Spec's range from $300 up to $2300 so hard to say on the deal you're getting there.

In the end, if you want to drop it off at a shop and let them do everything, price seems about right..
Old 01-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
simon.w
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS RS 6M Inferno Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayjw View Post

Check a few of the reputable shops on C5.

Tune is critical .... trust me ... I found out the hard way.

If I was you ... this would be my parts list:
Whipple Tuner Kit
ADM or Squash twin pump kit (room to move if you want to in the future ... and we all know you will)
ID850 Injectors
Mantic 9000 Series clutch (or Street Slayer or McLeod)
Make sure they add a 3 Bar Map Sensor to get a good tune

I personally wouldn't do E85 ... I'd either rather get the HP I want out of 91, or run Meth. The Octane won't kill the motor ... the tune will.
simon.w is offline   Reply With Quote