Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #1
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
HUD and windshield tint

Anyone have issues with the 2011 HUD and installing tint on the windshield?

I have heard rumors it distorts the image, but no one has been able to confirm? I wanted to do a slight tint, nothing drastic...maybe 70%

I called the installer and he said he has done it previously with no complaints. I think he is refering to the 2010 though, not the 11.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
You might want to check Florida traffic laws first. It is illegal to tint the windshield. I drove a 2011 with HUD. The display got pretty bright even in bright sun, I don't think the tint would have much effect on the display.

Last edited by OldJedi; 08-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
just curious, you are a officer right? if so do cops really car about windshields being tinted as long as it isnt rediculous and unsafe? I have mine done with 45% and honestly it is hardly noticable when driving even at night but from outside it does look tinted if your looking at it enough to notice. i have yet to have any issue being pulled over. just curious
Old 08-26-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
slick rick
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
Ask the installer if they've done Corvette's, don't they have HUD as well?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #5
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
just curious, you are a officer right? if so do cops really car about windshields being tinted as long as it isnt rediculous and unsafe? I have mine done with 45% and honestly it is hardly noticable when driving even at night but from outside it does look tinted if your looking at it enough to notice. i have yet to have any issue being pulled over. just curious
I got mine done today, HUD works fine. I did it light enough that it doesn't hardly appear as though I have tint, but it eliminates the everyday glare from vehicle to vehicle.

It is illegal in Florida, but As long as it is more than 45-50% I could care less, I have never met an officer who felt otherwise especially if you live in a southern state....I do 70-80 on mine just to get rid of the glare because I wear glasses and I feel I have no right to cite someone for something I do. To be honest with you, I would say at least 60% of cars in FL now have it but at a reasonable percentage. Although you and I could get a seriously lashing if we ever got in an accident and said something along the lines of "Well your honor, I couldn't see the man because he was wearing all black". Again you are right...35%+ you cannot hardly tell it is even tinted from the interior, but if we ever got involved in an accident that caused bodily injury you better believe the troopers look at that...

The only time I have ever seen an officer give someone crap about tint on a routine stop is when one guy had 15%. Now that is a little rough...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
camaroitalia
Go Harder Than Baltimore!

Drives: 2010 CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
I got mine done today, HUD works fine. I did it light enough that it doesn't hardly appear as though I have tint, but it eliminates the everyday glare from vehicle to vehicle.

It is illegal in Florida, but As long as it is more than 45-50% I could care less, I have never met an officer who felt otherwise especially if you live in a southern state....I do 70-80 on mine just to get rid of the glare because I wear glasses and I feel I have no right to cite someone for something I do. To be honest with you, I would say at least 60% of cars in FL now have it but at a reasonable percentage. Although you and I could get a seriously lashing if we ever got in an accident and said something along the lines of "Well your honor, I couldn't see the man because he was wearing all black". Again you are right...35%+ you cannot hardly tell it is even tinted from the interior, but if we ever got involved in an accident that caused bodily injury you better believe the troopers look at that...

The only time I have ever seen an officer give someone crap about tint on a routine stop is when one guy had 15%. Now that is a little rough...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
Ironheadspearo
ride the pain train

Drives: 2011 1LT RS, 1998 fxstc HD
I know in the case of an accident it could be touchy, I have pretty moderate tint all the way around the car but having the windshield done cuts down a ton of heat gain inside the cabin and honestly once you have had it done you will almost need it in every car following cause you feel naked without it. having dark tint on the windshield is pretty bonehead move. my neighbor has 20% on his and it is too dark for night time driving I think. he is a bonehead though
Old 08-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Anyone have issues with the 2011 HUD and installing tint on the windshield?

I have heard rumors it distorts the image, but no one has been able to confirm? I wanted to do a slight tint, nothing drastic...maybe 70%

I called the installer and he said he has done it previously with no complaints. I think he is refering to the 2010 though, not the 11.
Very simple homey, go to the DMV and get a "Window Tint Waiver" and have your doctor sign it. tell him your eyes or something is sensitive to UV rays. He'll sign it and you can tint EVERYTHING and it will be legal.

I'd do it, but the wife says NO.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironheadspearo View Post
Yep 30 years now, but I felt it was only fair to at least let the OP know about the law before he paid some money for tint that he might not know was illegal. What he does is up to him. But, I do know that HiPO cars, Camaros, Vettes, SRT8's, Mustangs get stopped all the time because of the type of car they are and sometimes because of what people are doing in the car at the time. An old fart like me does not really care unless they have put limo tint all the way around including the windshield and you cannot see into the car with a searchlight, then it becomes dangerous. With cities and counties having monetary problems currently and always looking to increase revenue without increasing taxes, writing more tickets is an easy way to bring in money. Giving law enforcement an easy reason to get stopped by tinting the windshield is not something that I would do, but that is just me. Everybody has to make their own decision.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
brantley847
v It bites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
Yep 30 years now, but I felt it was only fair to at least let the OP know about the law before he paid some money for tint that he might not know was illegal. What he does is up to him. But, I do know that HiPO cars, Camaros, Vettes, SRT8's, Mustangs get stopped all the time because of the type of car they are and sometimes because of what people are doing in the car at the time. An old fart like me does not really care unless they have put limo tint all the way around including the windshield and you cannot see into the car with a searchlight, then it becomes dangerous. With cities and counties having monetary problems currently and always looking to increase revenue without increasing taxes, writing more tickets is an easy way to bring in money. Giving law enforcement an easy reason to get stopped by tinting the windshield is not something that I would do, but that is just me. Everybody has to make their own decision.
Ahh, I thought his comment was directed to me. 30 years then you are surely familiar with blue line, but didn't think I was aware of the law? We may not have much time to self-initiate in Orlando, but come on don't burn me that bad. haha

I am aware of limitations when you exceed the AS1, just wasn't sure about distortion of the HUD.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #11
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
Ahh, I thought his comment was directed to me. 30 years then you are surely familiar with blue line, but didn't think I was aware of the law? We may not have much time to self-initiate in Orlando, but come on don't burn me that bad. haha

I am aware of limitations when you exceed the AS1, just wasn't sure about distortion of the HUD.
Sorry brother, to be honest I did not see the blue line in the paw or I would not have wrote anything at all. I was looking more at your signature to see if Bobby was taking a flaming spear to the head. Sorry, but for me, it is ALL about The U !! Good luck this year without Bobby on the sidelines. I felt Mickey should have got the job over Jimbo. I am not sure either team will make a Championship run this year but maybe soon. If you are coming down for the UM/FSU game, let me know.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #12
brantley847
v It bites.

It is all good, I figured as much..

I have no problem with the U. One guy on my shift is a huge Miami fan....the rest of the department has jumped on the UF bandwagon. All the sudden EVERYONE loves college football. So anything that is not orange and blue, I am fine with right now. Essentially, him and I get along very well with the ACC talks. I don't know if Mick or Jimbo will do better...Bobby had run his course and we were not going to win 10 games again with him, but the way it was handled was wrong...However, Mick was terribly, TERRIBLY stubborn. Man to man does not work when you don't have the athletes and Jenije does NOT need to be on the field. Times have changed and defensive schemes need to change.

I don't know if I can come to the game this year, I went to the game last year and it is going to take me awhile to recover from that one hahah. I will say I am very excited that UM and FSU both FINALLY have great QBs.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:22 AM   #13
x626xBlack
ARMY of one.

Drives: 2011 Black SS/RS
My question/concern with front window tint is My Toll Tag, Registration Sticker, Inspection Sticker.... You either leave them on the glass and tint over them which means every year you have to peal the tint up for a new inspection sticker... Or you put them on the tint which means every year when they scrape the old inspection sticker odd... there goes the tint under it also....

Am I to assume Florida has no Inspection or Registration Window Stickers?
x626xBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
OldJedi
Use the Force

Quote:
It is all good, I figured as much..

I have no problem with the U. One guy on my shift is a huge Miami fan....the rest of the department has jumped on the UF bandwagon. All the sudden EVERYONE loves college football. So anything that is not orange and blue, I am fine with right now. Essentially, him and I get along very well with the ACC talks. I don't know if Mick or Jimbo will do better...Bobby had run his course and we were not going to win 10 games again with him, but the way it was handled was wrong...However, Mick was terribly, TERRIBLY stubborn. Man to man does not work when you don't have the athletes and Jenije does NOT need to be on the field. Times have changed and defensive schemes need to change.

I don't know if I can come to the game this year, I went to the game last year and it is going to take me awhile to recover from that one hahah. I will say I am very excited that UM and FSU both FINALLY have great QBs.
I just hope ours can throw the ball better than he can speak English. My wife and both daughters are FSU grads, so my dogs and I are the UM holdouts. Be safe out there and let me if you ever come down this way.