Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
IAMTHEDANGER
The great ruiner of plans

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Fix for cracked/scratched 2014 LS tail light?

I have a 2014 Camaro 2LS and after washing my car today, I noticed condensation inside my driver's side tail light. I blew it off for a while until later today I went outside to check it out. I figured the gasket was loose or the seal was broken but under close inspection I noticed tiny cracks in the upper portion of my tail light. I know for a fact that I haven't hit anything. This car was brand new and I got it home 4-14-14. I think it must've happened during the shipping of the vehicle. Or I possibly slammed the trunk too hard, causing the tail light to crack. I'm really confused by this, but none the less, I need to fix it.

I was planning on smoking my taillights with Plastidip (legal here in Louisiana) this weekend, will this stop the cracks from leaking? Or should I buy a clear film to go over the tail light? I don't want to glue the cracks shut because I'm scared to shove my tail light in the oven to open it. What do you guys think? Any other fixes?

If need be I'll upload pictures tomorrow in the morning.
IAMTHEDANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Bring it back to the dealer. See what they say.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:57 PM   #3
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Have the dealer replace the tail light assembly. Without seeing pictures, it's hard to tell, but the lens might just not be sealed all the way to the backing, and through clear plastic that can look like cracking . It's still letting in moisture but just because it might not be sealed, not cracked.

Should be a simple warranty replacement. I've had fogging lamp assemblies replaced under warranty before. Some of them just don't come completely baked together from the factory. No big deal.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #4
IAMTHEDANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevint View Post
Bring it back to the dealer. See what they say.
That's a problem, the body shop at the dealership I bought the car from is horrible. I took my car in to get my GM blade spoiler installed and they refused service. They told me "It doesn't belong on that car". So yeah, I hate them. DIY is something I'm more comfortable with anyway.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #5
IAMTHEDANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Have the dealer replace the tail light assembly. Without seeing pictures, it's hard to tell, but the lens might just not be sealed all the way to the backing, and through clear plastic that can look like cracking . It's still letting in moisture but just because it might not be sealed, not cracked.

Should be a simple warranty replacement. I've had fogging lamp assemblies replaced under warranty before. Some of them just don't come completely baked together from the factory. No big deal.
That gives me a bit more hope. I'll take out the assembly tomorrow and inspect them. I'll take a few pictures, too.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
The Blue Angel

Drives: 2014 BRM 1SS/RS
I have had my driver's side tail light on my 2014 replaced due to condensation inside the housing. Talk to a service adviser about your issue. If the service adviser gives you a hard time. Go to the Service Manager. They have a final say with the issue at hand.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #7
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Post some pics
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:22 AM   #8
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
i would guess its just a stress fracture from the molding process. it should be covered. try another dealer if they are giving you a hard time
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 PM   #9
IAMTHEDANGER

Hey guys, I'm sorry I had a lot of stuff to do today and didn't get a chance to take pictures. But here you go, sorry for the bad quality. http://imgur.com/a/AEsY2

The cracks aren't very big, I'm hoping plastidip will seal them up. Will try tomorrow if my plans come through.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Should be under warranty.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
eurostyle

Drives: 1LS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMTHEDANGER View Post
That gives me a bit more hope. I'll take out the assembly tomorrow and inspect them. I'll take a few pictures, too.
Remember, in order to take out the assembly you will have to remove the whole rear bumper. I had the same problem, went to the dealer and they replaced the assembly under warranty. Waiting time was over 3 hours.
eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:38 PM   #12
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurostyle View Post
Remember, in order to take out the assembly you will have to remove the whole rear bumper.
Wow is that true for the 14's? For previous years it is not nearly so complicated. I installed Technostalgia taillights and all I needed to remove was the black plastic covering the top and the chrome bezels.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #13
eurostyle

Drives: 1LS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlink View Post
Wow is that true for the 14's? For previous years it is not nearly so complicated. I installed Technostalgia taillights and all I needed to remove was the black plastic covering the top and the chrome bezels.
Yes, it is true according to the dealer.
eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #14
Alfieboy
Madman

Drives: 2017 1SS
dealer- bumper to bumper..
Alfieboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 2ls, cracked, fix, tail light